Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Super League

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Appreciate that but surely have no option if a majority American ownership voted otherwise.

I think if this was attempted to be brought in, the demos against it would make the ESL demos look like a childs nursery playtime.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
So it sounds like they basically want to take the new UCL format, add an additional guaranteed six games per-team, and rebrand it as the "Super League".

What is the point? It's already happening from a competition point of view that sits within an agreed, albeit overcrowded, calendar. To happen it will either a) need to replace the Champions League, B) replace all domestic cup competitions across Europe, or C) force domestic leagues to cut their seasons in half. It's completely unworkable.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
To be perfectly honest I wish they would set up the ESL and all the greedy 6 with their greedy owners can f**k off.

Football can be restructured without them. Don't allow any of them to come back and threaten players who go an play in it with life bans from fifa/uefa tournaments. Fans boycott it, and it becomes nowhere near what they hoped it would be.

Meanwhile the rest of European football returns to some kind of normal reality.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
To be perfectly honest I wish they would set up the ESL and all the greedy 6 with their greedy owners can f**k off.

Football can be restructured without them. Don't allow any of them to come back and threaten players who go an play in it with life bans from fifa/uefa tournaments. Fans boycott it, and it becomes nowhere near what they hoped it would be.

Do you think many players would care being banned from FIFA? I am not sure they would.

Do you also think FIFA would ban the top players from the World Cup?

Fans wont boycott it, we saw with the world cup they wont.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Do you think many players would care being banned from FIFA? I am not sure they would.

I think players would care to some degree about being banned from the world cup. But I'm sure money would still talk and they'd go and play in the ESP.

The premier league feels utterly pointless at Moment, because anyone who even remotely challenges the top 6's monopoly just gets asset stripped.

I'd rather those clubs left and we tried to restructure the league more fairly and competitively.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So it's back again, this time they've thought it through.
Last time we were a lower team with zero chance of ever qualifying for Europe. Now it's different.
So what if 8th position guaranteed Europe with 14 games lined up? Would you think again?
Personally no.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

It's only for EU countries, teams from EPL can't join it now as the league rules have changed.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

But they won't be ******* off.

The club's involved will still be playing in domestic competitions.

But how will they manage all the extra games? Easy. By all running massive Chelsea size squads. In time most of these clubs will have players they only play in the euro league and players they only play in the domestic competitions. Maybe even different managers. The clubs will be more like franchises than clubs.

Meanwhile any talent produced by "teams like Brighton" will be staying around for an even shorter period of time.

Last time, the ESL was only stopped because of fan resistance. Put your apathy aside. We'll have to go again.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

But how will they manage all the extra games? Easy. By all running massive Chelsea size squads. In time most of these clubs will have players they only play in the euro league and players they only play in the domestic competitions. Maybe even different managers. The clubs will be more like franchises than clubs.

Meanwhile any talent produced by "teams like Brighton" will be staying around for an even shorter period of time.

Last time, the ESL was only stopped because of fan resistance. Put your apathy aside. We'll have to go again.
They won't be playing domestic games in this country as the EPL new regulations don't allow it.

This is a dead duck.

The club's pushing for it are all in huge financial trouble they're trying to get a bit of action from the money in the EPL. They will fail as there's no way our clubs will dip their toes into the water again, they can't unless they resign form the EPL.

This. I’ll be protesting if looks like it could go again. Cannot believe some judges and politicians could make the decision on this with little knowledge on the sport. At least thats what i think anyway. f*** the ESL f*** any club that is for it and f*** the Yanks coming into our game and trying to change.

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
This thread again?

The trend in football is for more promotion and relegation. The American owners of Wrexham get it. Or maybe there’s more than one type of American???

And closed shop and ESL are different issues and shouldn’t be conflated. A more cuddly ESL is being discussed but at the moment it’s being pushed by three foreign clubs. Fans here don’t want it.

At the end of the day, removing relegation makes most of Sky’s late season output meaningless. They won’t want that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errr, Canadian maybe?

RowZ

Sep 12, 2022
Of course we are all against it - but Uefa keep 80% of the CL income.....it doesn't goto grass roots. So it's organic some people will want to offer alternatives. Bmuff get more for finishing bottom than CL group stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here