Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Super League

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I see Real Madrid.Barcelona and Juventus are still pushing for this. With Bournmouth sale to an American are we not in danger of majority American ownership in PL who want to go down this route

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I see Real Madrid.Barcelona and Juventus are still pushing for this. With Bournmouth sale to an American are we not in danger of majority American ownership in PL who want to go down this route

Absolutely this... can't believe more isn't being made of this... they need 14 to do what they want.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If 14 clubs are owned by Americans and they vote for a super league, isn't that self defeating for most of them as the super league will be confined to a small number of 'desirable' clubs and not determined through the nationality of the owners.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Absolutely this... can't believe more isn't being made of this... they need 14 to do what they want.

Because, with reference to the super league, it makes no sense, turkeys voting for xmas. Where it may have an impact is the 39th game played abroad and things like that which will effect every club in the EPL. We may also see a move towards 18 clubs because those 18 will get a bigger slice of the TV pie.

What people need to remember is that the FA have a 'golden' share which means they can override any decision if they deem it not in the interests of the game.

https://sbcnews.co.uk/europe/uk/202...hare-to-thwart-any-premier-league-power-grab/

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I see Real Madrid.Barcelona and Juventus are still pushing for this.

All three of those clubs have massive debts and are looking to generate extra income, as they have exhausted all other avenues.

The super league is not for the good of football, it is solely for financial gain.
A very short sighted goal as well, what happens when they are struggling at the wrong end of a closed shop.

Pathetic to be honest, let them go, and those that join them, more fool them, as inevitably the money will dry up and a new super super world league will be dreamt up.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'm all for a super league, just the clubs have to leave their domestic leagues to join. So no La Liga or Premier League for them, just their super league. Basically they can sod off and do what they like.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do it, do it, do it!

I would LOVE the Arab States and American owned clubs to feck off to their own league.

The competitiveness of the PL without them would more than make up for not seeing Haaland, Ronaldo etc play against us

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm all for a super league, just the clubs have to leave their domestic leagues to join. So no La Liga or Premier League for them, just their super league. Basically they can sod off and do what they like.

dont really see how else it would work, unless its a replacement for Champions League.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

I don't see Bournemouth in any "super league" regardless of who owns them.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
dont really see how else it would work, unless its a replacement for Champions League.

Well the announced ESL clubs wanted to stay in their domestic leagues as well as being in their super league. Make even more money for themselves.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Not quite sure what more American owners of smaller PL clubs will do to affect this?

Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal felt the fans backlash so even though they're all American owned, I can't see it happening.

Villa, Palarse and Leeds have American ownership, adding Muff or Fulham or Stains or any of the teams outside of the top 6 to that list I can't see it making a blind bit of difference to any ESL type get together.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
A very short sighted goal as well, what happens when they are struggling at the wrong end of a closed shop.

Yup, and will all those TV subscribers in China, Korea and Saudi Arabia really keep tuning in, as Real Madrid take on Barcelona for the 14th time this season… zzzz…?

el punal

“Who’ve we got next week - Barcelona, at home? Great! What about the following week? Juventus, away. Okay. Who’s after that? Barcelona, away, then Juventus at home. Then we’ve got Barcelona at home, then . . . . . “ :laugh:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not quite sure what more American owners of smaller PL clubs will do to affect this?

Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal felt the fans backlash so even though they're all American owned, I can't see it happening.

Villa, Palarse and Leeds have American ownership, adding Muff or Fulham or Stains or any of the teams outside of the top 6 to that list I can't see it making a blind bit of difference to any ESL type get together.

Forgetting Super League American owners of other clubs in PL would like it run as in USA ie Guaranteed in PL with no relegation

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Forgetting Super League American owners of other clubs in PL would like it run as in USA ie Guaranteed in PL with no relegation

That I can see. But our whole league system is based on that so I can't ever see that happening personally.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Unfortunately, like the golf 'Super League" they would still want to come pot hunting in the Premier League with all the benefits of their ill-gotten gains.I agree though. It should be all or nothing.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

We need Bournemouth to be our top favourite to go down now, to reduce American influence in the Premier League. Not just for the sake of Brighton, but to preserve our football way of life. Otherwise, the Premier League will be 18 teams with franchises and no relegation before you can type Joe Biden.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This thread again?

The trend in football is for more promotion and relegation. The American owners of Wrexham get it. Or maybe there’s more than one type of American???

And closed shop and ESL are different issues and shouldn’t be conflated. A more cuddly ESL is being discussed but at the moment it’s being pushed by three foreign clubs. Fans here don’t want it.

At the end of the day, removing relegation makes most of Sky’s late season output meaningless. They won’t want that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
That I can see. But our whole league system is based on that so I can't ever see that happening personally.

Appreciate that but surely have no option if a majority American ownership voted otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here