Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** Super Bowl XLVII Baltimore Ravens v San Francisco 49ers *****

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
:clap:

I don't see the appeal of the Super Bowl.
What even is it? Is it like the FA Cup final of American Football?

I think I read somewhere that the average Super Bowl match lasts 4 and a half hours start to end, not including the pre- and post-match analysis/talks.
Each quarter lasts 15 minutes, half-time is about half an hour, so there are 45 minutes of adverts or stoppages for every 15 minutes of game-time?
Seems utterly ridiculous to me.
The average face value of a ticket to watch the Super Bowl is $800. :mad:

And Americans think our football is a girls sport, cant get their head round how we get so passionate about a game that might have no scoring and is technically a very simple game..

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I wouldn't make it otherwise.

Asleep on sofa by 10:30, wake with a start at kick off which sees me through the first quarter.
Then left arm over my head and asleep again before the end of the half.
Wake up with 2 mins to go.

This way I get enough quality sleep to see me through the game, and I'm ready for part 2 by 3am.

One of my favourite supper bowls was 23 with Montana and Rice, and I watched it in Mexico in a fantastic bar full of 49.er fans with no time zone issues so perhaps we should just buy the cheapest ticket to USA and watch at the airport.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
One of my favourite supper bowls was 23 with Montana and Rice, and I watched it in Mexico in a fantastic bar full of 49.er fans with no time zone issues so perhaps we should just buy the cheapest ticket to USA and watch at the airport.

I on the other hand have erased it from my memory.:cry:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Can’t wait. Although the other thread about the Superbowl and the Illuminati is a bit of a worry as I’m going to a Super Bowl party at a pub in New York called the Freemasons.

Anyway, it combines the two things Americans do best; stuffing their faces with junk food and talking a load of shite for 4 hours…here’s hoping Beyonce has a ‘wardrobe malfunction’

Go 49ers

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Well you could have erased it that day in Mexico with tequilla and Tecate, your time will come again

I will give you the cast iron Bladders guarantee now:

We will never even get to a Superbowl whilst Mike Brown owns the club. Need him to die before things will change in Cincy.

Harsh but true.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
[MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION]
Any chance of a poll to get NSC's finest opinion on how the Super Bowl will go tonight :kiss:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:clap:

I don't see the appeal of the Super Bowl.
What even is it? Is it like the FA Cup final of American Football?

I think I read somewhere that the average Super Bowl match lasts 4 and a half hours start to end, not including the pre- and post-match analysis/talks.
Each quarter lasts 15 minutes, half-time is about half an hour, so there are 45 minutes of adverts or stoppages for every 15 minutes of game-time?
Seems utterly ridiculous to me.
The average face value of a ticket to watch the Super Bowl is $800. :mad:
Money talks, from The Sunday Times:-

$3.8m - Average price of a 30 sec advert.
60% Increase in price since 2003.
92% of viewers will watch the adverts.
162.9m Highest TV audience 2011
$1.85bn TV network advertising sales generated by SB between 2003 & 2012.
59.9m people who attend a super bowl party.
7.5m households planning to buy a new TV for the SB.
1.23bn chicken wings expected to be consumed during SB weekend.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Ravens should have been beaten in Denver had the Broncos secondary not turned into a High School team on that last play in regulation.

Raven had the same record as the Bengals who were pretty dire for most of the season.

Niners will blow them out.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I like the Sunday night commentary on 5LSX....it helps me go to sleep.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
And Americans think our football is a girls sport, cant get their head round how we get so passionate about a game that might have no scoring and is technically a very simple game..
When you say ' Our football' that would be the sport that virtually the Whole World competes in. The one which culminates in tournament to be actual world champions. Unlike another of their sports,were if you win it is the world series. A world series in which only they compete in.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When you say ' Our football' that would be the sport that virtually the Whole World competes in. The one which culminates in tournament to be actual world champions. Unlike another of their sports,were if you win it is the world series. A world series in which only they compete in.

I will agree on that it is inanely stupid to declare the winners World Champions when only one country enters, it is actually the sort of stunt you would expect in North Korea.

Still just shy of 4 hours to KO

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Both American Football and Baseball are made up of 2 different leagues that have merged. We'll take the NFL as an example.

The Baltimore Ravens are the AFC Champions (American Football Conference) The San Francisco 49ers are the NFC Champions (National Football Conference.)

The winner tonight can neither be named the American or National Champions as we already have those (see above)

So the Superbowl winner is known as the world champion. This is also cause the NFL is the top league in the world with the best players by far so would be pointless to play the Canadian champs etc. Its why Dover Athletic do not compete for the Premiership Title cause they're not good enough. Only the 20 best teams in England get to play for the Premiership (English Champions) not every single team in England, just like the best teams at American football , the 32 teams in the NFL get to have a crack at the Superbowl.

I do see your point and it can also be seen as arrogance by the Americans but show me another team /league in the World who should be able to compete for the Superbowl. (World Champions)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
49ers haven't ever lost a SB

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Hope the Ravens win, never liked the 49ers as they were the NFL equivalent of Man Utd at the time I was most actively watching American Football. No idea of the relative strengths of the two sides as I never seemed to be able to catch up with the season this time round (coincidentally, my team (the Redskins) chose to have a fairly good season for once :( )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here