Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fans want gus out !

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Not sure that Gus' most vociferous critics would even begin to compare him to Brighton's worst manager in 40 years would they?

Was gonna say something similar.
You can't compare a donkey in a hat to sami. Just out of sheer numbers and physics, sami should of had a better record with the 2 clubs he has managed.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Gus did a fantastic job for us while here. Some of the football we played was sublime and after years of watching hoof football, amazing. But reading that article reminded me that I got tired of all "will he - wont he" stay and the snide remarks made about the club that became more frequent towards the end of his tenure.

It got the point were I just wanted a manager that wanted to be here and appreciated what this club has to offer, obviously not making a complete balls up of like Sami. Hopefully with CH we can have some success without the added hassle.

Those articles quoting Gus however his words may have been twisted, do sound like he will not be at Sunderland much longer.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
“We gave away 45 minutes,” said a manager whose side have won one of their past 11 league games and look set for another relegation skirmish.

“After that we tried. I cannot ask for any more with the personnel we’ve got. We sorted things out at half-time but the disappointing thing was that I’d expected my team to be able to work things out for themselves. But there was confusion about Liverpool’s system.” (343)

Short and Congerton are entitled to wonder what Rodgers might have done in Poyet’s place. The Sunderland manager’s first-half tactic of asking his full-backs, Santiago Vergini and Patrick van Aanholt, to mark Philippe Coutinho and Gerrard while demanding that his wingers, Adam Johnson and Emanuele Giaccherini, minded Markovic and Alberto Moreno, backfired disastrously.

Quite apart from being hugely ineffective defensively – Coutinho, particularly, destroyed Vergini – Johnson and Giaccherini were prevented from using their talents to hurt Liverpool. It was no surprise Poyet’s team managed only one shot on target."

http://www.theguardian.com/football...verpool-gus-poyet-premier-league-match-report

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The actual FACTS about Poyet's management record, not the rewriting of history to make out we drew every single game

Brighton & Hove Albion 10 November 2009 23 June 2013 PL 194 W 86 D 59 L 49 30.42% D
Sunderland 8 October 2013 Present PL 64 W 21 D 18 L 25 28.13% D

Total PL 258 W 107 D 77 L 74 29.85% D

These figures don't factor in the extent to which Gus builds a team designed to play his way. 2011/12 was a learning curve for the Albion, then Gus assembled a pretty handy side in 2012/13 but got them playing cautiously. The result was 18 draws so 39% of all our matches, 50% higher than the division average of 26%.

He then goes to Sunderland, inherits someone else's squad and makes changes. Now, in Season 2 having built his own side, he's reverting to type. With 11 draws out of 21 matches that's a whopping 52% - the Prem average is currently 29%. Sunderland are on course to smash the Prem 38-game season draw record of 17.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looking like the end game for Gus at Sunderland now.

Gus for Leeds ?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Interesting reading through one or two of the comments on the Sunderland forum. 'Poyet getting his excuses in early'...'Has been shit scared to tactically attack the opposition since the Saints hammering'...'Get Remi Garde in!' - was the gist of it.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Personally I want him to stay, I feel he is one of the better managers we have had in recent years, took us to a final and who knows who really is choosing signings etc - he must have had a hand in Bridcutt and Buckley though given they were his players from old. We have not had a decent manager since Reidy and I think he is one of the better ones since

Pleased to note your comments on Gus, if we had enough cash left over after our Training ground improvements to sign two or three decent players he would have stayed here,as an ambitious man he moved on to test himself in the Premiership and i hope he is successful

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Some of the football we played was sublime and after years of watching hoof football, amazing.

Don't be too hasty to dismiss -- 'hoof football' actually has a constituency, one of non-negligible proportions, in these parts....

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Gus is a good manager but is he great? He did a great job for us but we know we can be an OK team provided the manager don't suck.
Gus, like Adams and Taylor before seemed to be hinting he was too big for us. To be fair to the 2 guys before we were not getting the best crowds outside the Prem at the time.
Without too much debate we can say Sunderland are a better team than us [they only dropped to the third tier once in decades and won it at a stroll 27 years ago and have had quite a few seasons in the top flight]. Sunderland's default position is bottom half of the perm/top half of the championship. They had a couple of League Cup finals.
A question for Sunderland over the next year or so is 'what has Gus bought to the table to make them any better than they would have been with Joe Bloggs as manager?' Answer? Nothing yet really.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
We had some great times under Gus and that shouldn't be overlooked. However, he is, I feel, someone who wants total control of a football club yet still seeks to blame everyone else when things go wrong.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
a sunderland fan on 606 yesterday was banging on about how gus says he is doing the best he can with the players he has, moaning about budget etc

Probably true. North East football supporters in ridiculously unrealistic expectations shock. Sunderland fans are completely deluded if they expect to be doing better than they are with the squad they have.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I think a lot of Gus's problems would be solved by them actually winning at home for a change. Most fans can forgive poor away form as long as the home form is ok. I don't think many of them are deluded that they're anything but a mid table team at best at the moment, but because the home form is so frustrating they get on his back. Was in County Durham over the weekend and it genuinely looks as if the support is divided between the two camps. One of the local journalists was saying that it's unfortunate as he can actually see long term progress within the club, but the fortunes on the field aren't matching it (which sounds vaguely familiar!). He's still got a lot of grace from the cup final, but doubt that'll stretch into next season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Southampton can be contending for a top four spot then Sunderland fans will quite rightly aspire to something similar. There's nothing wrong about this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here