Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fans want gus out !

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Sunderland are in real trouble, I think. GP is setting up the team to not get beaten, and then hopefully sneak something on the counter-attack. Obviously, it has worked a couple of times (Newcastle away in recent weeks), but the team does not possess a clinical or consistent enough striker to be able to guarantee enough goals for this strategy to work. Steven Fletcher, on his day, will do the business, but those days are few and far between with the injuries he seems to suffer. Likewise, Connor Wickham has potential, and had that purple patch last year that ulitmately probably kept them up, but he won't do that on a regular basis either. That leaves Altidore, and well the less said about his record and abilities the better.

In short, I think they're going down unless they invest in a decent striker this January.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Has he threatened to go and play golf yet ? ???

I'm not sure about the golf, but I would put money on him already trying to find another club.... It's what he does!
He was touting himself around premier clubs when contracted to us, all this whilst we were in a position to achieve promotion....until 'Poogate' and his strange behaviour that day.
IMO he has only achieved the success he has by virtue of TBs backing when we were misplaced in div 2. And then let's face it it's always going to be easier to achieve success in div 2 then div 1 than survive in the prem. In my books he a traitorous, selfish chancer. That he has his fans on this forum is okay, we are all entitled to our opinions. But for me he's only one step higher than Archer & Co.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I'm not sure about the golf, but I would put money on him already trying to find another club.... It's what he does!
He was touting himself around premier clubs when contracted to us, all this whilst we were in a position to achieve promotion....until 'Poogate' and his strange behaviour that day.
IMO he has only achieved the success he has by virtue of TBs backing when we were misplaced in div 2. And then let's face it it's always going to be easier to achieve success in div 2 then div 1 than survive in the prem. In my books he a traitorous, selfish chancer. That he has his fans on this forum is okay, we are all entitled to our opinions. But for me he's only one step higher than Archer & Co.

I'd disagree with virtually every word of that.

The football that we played at the height of GP's time here was comfortably the best that we've played in the 20 years that I've been watching the Albion. He took us from a team that deservedly was washing around the lower reaches of League 1 and took us to a real whisker of the Premier League. There was no chance about it - we were a well-organised, talented and dynamic squad who wouldn't have been undeserving of promotion.

The fact that he left us in the manner and circumstances that he did shouldn't detract from the incredibly good times that we had whilst he was here. To say that he's only one step higher than Archer & Co is actually laughable.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'd disagree with virtually every word of that.

The football that we played at the height of GP's time here was comfortably the best that we've played in the 20 years that I've been watching the Albion. He took us from a team that deservedly was washing around the lower reaches of League 1 and took us to a real whisker of the Premier League. There was no chance about it - we were a well-organised, talented and dynamic squad who wouldn't have been undeserving of promotion.

The fact that he left us in the manner and circumstances that he did shouldn't detract from the incredibly good times that we had whilst he was here. To say that he's only one step higher than Archer & Co is actually laughable.

Well, as I suggested you are quite entitled to your opinion. We all have different views I respect but don't agree with yours.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Well, as I suggested you are quite entitled to your opinion. We all have different views I respect but don't agree with yours.

Fair enough.

I agree that people are perfectly entitled to their views - that's the beauty of NSC. Having said that, I'd be really interested to see a bit more of your logic as to why GP should be considered 'only one step high than Archer & co'.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Total drivel.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When you look back at previous managers and assess whether they had a positive, negative or neutral effect on the club I think Gus should be viewed as a positive. Getting us promoted to the Championship in the manner he did, then ensuring we were a top half side, then a promotion contender more than offsets the negatives at the end of his stint with us.

That said, when you look at how the likes of Barnes, Ulloa, Hammond, Upson, Buckley and Bridcutt are doing in the Prem, then throw in Vicente, Bridge, Kuszczak, younger versions of Greer and Bruno and Calde, and you wonder how we didn't go up. That side on paper is better than the likes of Bournemouth, Middlesboro and Ipswich that are all handily-placed for promotion this season, they're no worse than Burnely or Hull City were either.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It seems some Sunderland fans are not too impressed by what Gus says in interviews.

How unforeseen :lolol:

Maybe this is the beginning of the end for him up there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When you look back at previous managers and assess whether they had a positive, negative or neutral effect on the club I think Gus should be viewed as a positive. Getting us promoted to the Championship in the manner he did, then ensuring we were a top half side, then a promotion contender more than offsets the negatives at the end of his stint with us.

That said, when you look at how the likes of Barnes, Ulloa, Hammond, Upson, Buckley and Bridcutt are doing in the Prem, then throw in Vicente, Bridge, Kuszczak, younger versions of Greer and Bruno and Calde, and you wonder how we didn't go up. That side on paper is better than the likes of Bournemouth, Middlesboro and Ipswich that are all handily-placed for promotion this season, they're no worse than Burnely or Hull City were either.

Not GOING for it in away games against poor sides is why we didn't get auto. Nobody is going to convince me otherwise, I saw the fear and negativity of losing transfer itself to the players on quite a few occasions against quite poor sides. A team set up not to lose was the first consideration and it definitely cost us too many points. Having said that, a Poyet team in full flow and on it's day was a magnificent and thrilling sight, If Gus had a bit of Eddie Howe in him he would be a top manager but unfortunately he is too scared of conceding and it cost us and is arguably costing Sunderland.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ungrateful bstards. They don't deserve Gus

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not GOING for it in away games against poor sides is why we didn't get auto. Nobody is going to convince me otherwise, I saw the fear and negativity of losing transfer itself to the players on quite a few occasions against quite poor sides. A team set up not to lose was the first consideration and it definitely cost us too many points. Having said that, a Poyet team in full flow and on it's day was a magnificent and thrilling sight, If Gus had a bit of Eddie Howe in him he would be a top manager but unfortunately he is too scared of conceding and it cost us and is arguably costing Sunderland.

Gus's propensity for drawing matches seems to be following him about, indicating that there is something in the opinion he is too cagey. He should be after the likes of Ashley Young, Januzay and Javier Hernandez who will dive him to a top half finish.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Gus's propensity for drawing matches seems to be following him about, indicating that there is something in the opinion he is too cagey. He should be after the likes of Ashley Young, Januzay and Javier Hernandez who will dive him to a top half finish.
'dive' was dat a fwoydian slip lak?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The actual FACTS about Poyet's management record, not the rewriting of history to make out we drew every single game

Brighton & Hove Albion 10 November 2009 23 June 2013 PL 194 W 86 D 59 L 49 30.42% D
Sunderland 8 October 2013 Present PL 64 W 21 D 18 L 25 28.13% D

Total PL 258 W 107 D 77 L 74 29.85% D

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The actual FACTS about Poyet's management record, not the rewriting of history to make out we drew every single game

Brighton & Hove Albion 10 November 2009 23 June 2013 PL 194 W 86 D 59 L 49 30.42% D
Sunderland 8 October 2013 Present PL 64 W 21 D 18 L 25 28.13% D

Total PL 258 W 107 D 77 L 74 29.85% D
Obviously skewed by the fact he would have won more games in Division 1. Of course nobody said he drew every game but we drew the most in the Championship over his 2 seasons.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Lots of people Slating Gus's style will be very disapointed in the coming weeks when we are doing the same under Hughton.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Obviously skewed by the fact he would have won more games in Division 1. Of course nobody said he drew every game but we drew the most in the Championship over his 2 seasons.

Have you seen how many we have drawn this season ? 11 in 25

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Any of the 2000 who wasted an evening of their lives watching us fail to register a single shot in 90 mins against Bristol City - the league's worst team in 12/13 - would have to agree with that.

Why, after a 4-1 win the previous Saturday, would you drop the man who scored a hat-trick from the starting 11?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here