Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sunderland, Birmingham & Hull City falling to League One--will this happen to the Albion?

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
We're not in relegation zone, and we're already discussing L1. Why not go the whole hog and try to beat Swansea in the race to be the first team to go from the fourth tier to the first 3 times.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
55% of what? the base package for Prem clubs?

Yes. 55% of the guarateed TV income, which is about 95m.

To add a few facts to original doom mong: Parachute payments started ramping up for teams relegated in 2013. In the 4 completed seasons since then, at least 1 team has bounced straight back up, two of which have been as Championship winners. No team has fallen straight through to League 1 and only Wigan have been relegated to League 1 at all.

In summary, we’re far more likely to be challenging for promotion than in a relegation scrap, particularly as our transfer and player wages policy seems to be more on the conservative side (a bit like Burnley), and we’re more than likely to stick with the same manager (a bit like Burnley).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sunderland, Birmingham & Hull City falling to League One--will this happen to the Albion?

Have they absolutely wasted the parachute payments?

It might. It might not. That's the nature of football. However, for Sunderland and Birmingham I'd think League 1 is their basement. Not so sure about Hull.

As long as we don't waste our legacy, then I see us as a more resilient outfit than Hull. We have the right management mindset not to freefall.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Even though we're looking likely to drop down this season, I can't see us doing what the others have done and continue to slide. It might take us a couple of years to get back but I'm confident in the way the club is run that we will always be there or thereabouts to getting back to the Prem if the worst does happen this season.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
There's always a period of problems once relegated and we'd certainly get that period :)
You could say the prem rips your heart out once relegated.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I was pointing at the unusual alignment that 3 recent former PL sides are in position to be relegated to League One. I was wondering how this could happen with parachute payments and did anyone see the Albion as falling into this same downward slide that has fallen on recent PL teams.I don't see it being a dumb question at all because there are some similarities between the clubs. This very much has to do with our fandom. No, the Albion are not relegated to the championship YET, but without changes going into effect I think we will be.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I was pointing at the unusual alignment that 3 recent former PL sides are in position to be relegated to League One. I was wondering how this could happen with parachute payments and did anyone see the Albion as falling into this same downward slide that has fallen on recent PL teams.

But as has been pointed out already, all three of those clubs have been run in an appalling way for years. It's therefore no surprise to see them where they are.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
But as has been pointed out already, all three of those clubs have been run in an appalling way for years. It's therefore no surprise to see them where they are.

I really see the Albion as being more similar to the falling 3 then the teams we are hoping to beat to 17th place or higher in the PL. How many true PL footballers does the Albion have?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I really see the Albion as being more similar to the falling 3 then the teams we are hoping to beat to 17th place or higher in the PL. How many true PL footballers does the Albion have?

You're in a happy mood today aren't you? Read your signature, its a nice saying. Enjoy today. Enjoy the team of premier league players competing in the premier league. Forget about tomorrow, that's for the players and the club to make, and considering how they've made every tomorrow better than their yesterdays for nigh on 20 years now, lets have faith they'll continue to do so :thumbsup:

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I don't think so. If we are relegated we have a decent enough squad, even if some players move on, to challenge again. Look at Burnley for instance. This season has been down to the lack of quality front men. Too many chances squandered, too many points dropped from games dominated at home and too many silly mistakes. Actually I don't think that we are too far off from being a mid table Premier league team. We can avoid the drop but can't afford silly slip ups. Must win games at home,Huddersfield, Swansea, West Ham, Leicester. Possible points from home and away matches, Stoke, Palace, Southampton, Burnley, Everton and finally Arsenal.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Well, I suppose the answer to the OP's question is yes. I expect one day that we will be relegated down to league 1. Tis the nature of football, you go up, you go down.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham have never been relegated from the Premier League since it's formation.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Calling @DrNo

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham have never been relegated from the Premier League since it's formation.

All of them have been relegated, bar Arsenal and Everton- I think.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
All of them have been relegated, bar Arsenal and Everton- I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion my Albion

Not since the PL formation in 1992--26 years(plus)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_clubs

To date no former Premier League club has been relegated to the National League.
anything is possible--"you make your tommorrow."

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Any club could end up in this position, don't see it with the Albion as long as TB has the helm. I appreciate what others mentioned about the Sami days but the club did realise a mistake was made after giving him enough time to prove himself (or not as the case was) . I think some lessons were learnt and TB will stick with Hughton for a few years through thick and thin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here