Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer 2015 transfer window thread

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Doubt we will see much of Akindayini next season, he's been signed for the DS.

Would he be good enough for a place on the bench? If not, we would need another striker, but in which case we might as well keep COG, as he'd be 4th choice .

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Derby have now signed Tom Ince permanently. Although all their transfers have been undisclosed fees, I'd imagine that takes their summer spending to in excess of £10 million.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Our main problem last season was creativity rather than conceding goals so I'd say we need at least two attacking midfielders/wingers and a striker.
Definitely, as encouraging as our transfer business has been so far, it's that supply line behind the striker which is in most desperate need of improving as the squad stands. 2 wingers/no.10s of real quality is the least I'd hope for, and going on our supposed interest in AJ & Jamie Murphy, you suspect these are the positions that the club know they're gonna need to spend some money on.

Also think 1 more CB would still leave us short, having lost Halford & Hughes (though admittedly a fairly injury-free season last year meant we rarely used the latter). We could really do with 2 more, especially if we're going to deploy the 3-5-2 formation more frequently next season, which I'd hope we might.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Another Championship side showing ambition is Middlesbrough who are closing in on a deal for Stewart Downing.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Another Championship side showing ambition is Middlesbrough who are closing in on a deal for Stewart Downing.

You'll get v decent odds on that if you fancy a flutter...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Definitely, as encouraging as our transfer business has been so far, it's that supply line behind the striker which is in most desperate need of improving as the squad stands. 2 wingers/no.10s of real quality is the least I'd hope for, and going on our supposed interest in AJ & Jamie Murphy, you suspect these are the positions that the club know they're gonna need to spend some money on.

Also think 1 more CB would still leave us short, having lost Halford & Hughes (though admittedly a fairly injury-free season last year meant we rarely used the latter). We could really do with 2 more, especially if we're going to deploy the 3-5-2 formation more frequently next season, which I'd hope we might.

I believe CH has already said Glen Rea is promoted to the first team squad, hence only 1 CB required..

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Greg Halford has signed for Rotherham. I think he would have been a decent squad player for us.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I believe CH has already said Glen Rea is promoted to the first team squad, hence only 1 CB required..
Thought he'd been playing in holding midfield the past season or so? Where do the club see him playing, long-term, then?

Great if he is seen as good enough for CB cover as I'd much rather us promote from the u21s where possible.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thought he'd been playing in holding midfield the past season or so? Where do the club see him playing, long-term, then?

Great if he is seen as good enough for CB cover as I'd much rather us promote from the u21s where possible.

I asked [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] why he had put Rea as a midfielder in his squad listing: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?504-Brighton-Hove-Albion-Squad-2015-16-Contract-durations

Our learned friend responded with...

Yes, because last season he was converted into a.....midfielder! When he was selected for the Ireland U-21 squad in November 2014, the manager Noel King said "Glen Rea is a centre-midfielder who can also play in defence. We've a lot of information on him from their academy director John Morling who previously worked for the FAI and we've had a look at him in action for his club."

And in an article on seagulls.co.uk the same month it said "The centre half, who has evolved into a holding midfielder this season for Albion, ..."

And in the Argus on June 4 Rea said "I think this year me playing midfield is why I have pushed on. I still like centre-half, I've played there all my life, but I'm really enjoying it in the centre of midfield in the holding role. I can put myself about and get the ball higher up the pitch."

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I asked [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] why he had put Rea as a midfielder in his squad listing: http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?504-Brighton-Hove-Albion-Squad-2015-16-Contract-durations

Our learned friend responded with...

Yes, because last season he was converted into a.....midfielder! When he was selected for the Ireland U-21 squad in November 2014, the manager Noel King said "Glen Rea is a centre-midfielder who can also play in defence. We've a lot of information on him from their academy director John Morling who previously worked for the FAI and we've had a look at him in action for his club."

And in an article on seagulls.co.uk the same month it said "The centre half, who has evolved into a holding midfielder this season for Albion, ..."

And in the Argus on June 4 Rea said "I think this year me playing midfield is why I have pushed on. I still like centre-half, I've played there all my life, but I'm really enjoying it in the centre of midfield in the holding role. I can put myself about and get the ball higher up the pitch."

Hmmm... if he is 4th choice CB, then I guess that is alright... otherwise, I think we would need 2 new CB's...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here