Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sum up tonight's game.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Embarrassing how empty the stadium was, no neutral fan will ever take our rivalry seriously.

However those there made themselves heard, and more importantly we did a number on them, bragging rights firmly in Sussex.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
4 changes from a side that played against Southampton, a game in which we also made several changes due to playing 2 games in 3 days.

Of our ideal starting eleven, only three players actually started tonight. We will not field a weaker side than that all season.

About the same as us then ? Stephens, Izquierdo, Bong (at a push) only league starters

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
5-6 years wallowing in the Premier League millions, and you have 1 player. And by far and away the worst stadium in the top 2 divisions. Can only applaud that.

I know Smellhurst is a dive but have you never been to Ballmuff?

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
About the same as us then ? Stephens, Izquierdo, Bong (at a push) only league starters

Yeah, pretty much. Wasn't making excuses; merely correcting Sheebo's trolling that your reserves beat a strong Palace side.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah, pretty much. Wasn't making excuses; merely correcting Sheebo's trolling that your reserves beat a strong Palace side.

Gotcha. Name v name on the line ups I thought your midfield might have been too much for us, defence seemed a bit odd but again some good names. Injuries probably didn’t help you either

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
We have a squad with a significant amount of depth. The South London Comedy Collective have one player, who was rested because his nail varnish wasn't quite dry. Two players crocked last week trying to decapitate KDB and now two more knackered tonight. All in all a great result and one that should put the SLCC back down in the relegation scrap.

Thumbs most certainly up!

TNBA

TTF

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know Smellhurst is a dive but have you never been to Ballmuff?

Several times. Its tiny, but at least they've smartened it up a bit. They're a L1 club in the Premier League by accident.

Palace have been in the top 2 divisions for as long as I can remember, and have had 5 years in the PL. Yet all they've done in all those years is spend £150 on some cladding from B&Q.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Gotcha. Name v name on the line ups I thought your midfield might have been too much for us, defence seemed a bit odd but again some good names. Injuries probably didn’t help you either

Unfortunately the game isn't played on paper! Our 25 man squad has got ~18 players that are midtable Premier League standard or better. Unfortunately the rest of the names are Championship at best. The likes of Delaney, Hennessey and Souare simply aren't good enough any more, which means that we're absolutely f*cked when it comes time to rotate the team. As you say, our injury situation certainly didn't help; the gulf in quality between Mamadou Sakho and Damien Delaney or Wilf Zaha and Sullay Kai Kai is frankly laughable.

On the night though I think it was clear that your players simply wanted it more, which has nothing to do with ability.

All in all a great result and one that should put the SLCC back down in the relegation scrap.

Why would tonight's result put Palace in significantly more danger than we were before? Losing Townsend and Schlupp to injury is a shame, but I think we'll still have more than enough to get by. Wilf will drag us, kicking and screaming if need be, to a midtable finish. If anything, I think our odds of survival are even better now that we're only focusing on the league.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Trolling? 8 changes v 4 (2 enforced). So 8 v 2. I call that facts.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Trolling? 8 changes v 4 (2 enforced). So 8 v 2. I call that facts.

No Wilf, no Benteke, no Loftus-Cheek, no Milivojevic, no Tomkins. That's without even going into our injury crisis; missing Sakho, Dann, Ward, Wickham, etc.

We were really scraping the barrel to field an XI tonight. We're a side that relies heavily on a few players of significantly higher quality than the rest of our squad, and they were all missing tonight. It was always going to be a very tough game from a Palace perspective when we're fielding no recognized striker, a left back at right midfield, and the over-the-hill Delaney at CB.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Got to feel sorry for these Palace fans used to a local stadium when we have to put up with this out of town difficult to get to bowl.

Again tonight I was FORCED to use public transport to get to the stadium. Arriving only an hour before kick off.

The interchange at Lewes was horrendous. I was there for all of ten minutes.

I can't think of a more difficult stadium to get to from South London. Possibly Newcastle ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We just beat Palace 2-1

I care not about anything else to do with the match tonight.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Three good things about this evening 1 the result, 2 the performance of Kayal and 3 the gradual comeback of Baldock the rest was crap especially the attendance and atmosphere.

atmosphere was fantastic mate where were you sitting?

Wasn't long back we'd have killed for 14,000 through the gates at a Brighton game, and it was one of the best crowds I've been part of, hugely enjoyable evening

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Mostly this was a meaningless win for (mainly) our reserves over theirs. The reward is a trip to a place nobody wants to go, but at least it offers the chance for our backups to get another run-out, maybe including Sidwell this time. Stephens got into their box and scored, which might switch something on in him when it matters that has been turned off for too long. Kayal looked good, and Baldock finally got some game time.

On the downside, we suffered an injury to Brown which may have deprived us of a player who has yet to show his true quality. They had an injury to Schlupp and also Townsend, according to Roy, which could hurt them against Burnley.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

hmmm, Schelotto, March, Hemed too, and we brought on Murray and Propper

I think tonight showed what a deep squad we have, the only player on that pitch that we wouldn't have expected being in consideration for the first XI when fit week-in week-out is Krul. There was nothing in Hunemeier's performance last season to suggest he is far behind Dunk or Duffy, Goldson as a premier league man of the match couple of games back, Kayal and Baldock would always have been in contention for games this season if not injured.

Saying we played the reserves is a long way off, that was all solid first-teamers tonight.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A highly enjoyable night. Shame Izzy got injured, but you never know it could be the little push that gets us that elusive striker signing completed.

Big smile on my face, huge boost for the lads going into the WBA game. They’ll all have a spring in their step at training tomorrow.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No Wilf, no Benteke, no Loftus-Cheek, no Milivojevic, no Tomkins. That's without even going into our injury crisis; missing Sakho, Dann, Ward, Wickham, etc.

We were really scraping the barrel to field an XI tonight. We're a side that relies heavily on a few players of significantly higher quality than the rest of our squad, and they were all missing tonight. It was always going to be a very tough game from a Palace perspective when we're fielding no recognized striker, a left back at right midfield, and the over-the-hill Delaney at CB.
Tough shit.

:)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
atmosphere was fantastic mate where were you sitting?

Wasn't long back we'd have killed for 14,000 through the gates at a Brighton game, and it was one of the best crowds I've been part of, hugely enjoyable evening

Twice as much noise than usual on tv. Sounded great.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Funny these Palace mugs admitting they rely so heavily on a diving cheat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here