Success

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Success

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is no evidence either way. I cannot see what benefit hanging around for a few years makes so if it's this year then fine.

That said I am not overly bothered. I only go to the football for some entertainment and some fun with my friends and family; if I get this I'm happy.

centurion40

Sep 8, 2012
I'd settle for promotion this season, if we come straight back down then so be it, the revenue for the club from a season in the premier league would be worth it

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Straight up or we will lose key players and bums on seats. If you get the chance, you have to go for it. It's not as if you can chose when you go up. Every club that gets promoted has to strengthen. If we do go up, then we will strengthen. I don't buy this "we will lose every week" mentality. Negative and just plain assumptive.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I don't mind particularly. I just want us to get the results our performances deserve.

I was happy after the Milwall draw because I accept we will occasionally be below par. What I can't accept is us missing 75 chances a game. If the table was based on possession and chances we'd be 10 points clear.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think the possibility of going up is more exciting than the guarantee of it. And will therefore get more bums on seats for a few years at least. It's all about slowly building and people feeling a part of it. Would be very mental to go up though and I wouldn't miss it for the world. Enthralled with things as they are though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having experienced being one of he whipping boys of the top division I'd like us to go up with some hope of avoiding that scenario. Getting promotion at Newcastle has to be one my highlights of being an Albion fan though. Those who haven't experienced that buzz yet have real treat in store, it will be worth the wait.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
West Brom went up & back down several times, strengthening each time they did it and are now established. If the chance comes, take it but also strengthen when you can. Does that leave me sitting on the fence?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
When you look at the derby's, forrest's, cardiff's who have been trying it for years. I would say get the chance and take it. How much longer will the bridge's, kooch's hang around if we don't go up soon. Worst case scenario plenty of money for coming back down.

And equally you could look at the likes of Pompey, Palace and others who went up to the Premier League and were relegated again and soon after were in serious financial trouble.

You could look at other teams who went up and came down again and see how little it has helped them in the long term, teams like Barnsley, Derby....

If we go up this season - great but i think we should try to get a squad that will be able to compete at that level and stay up there rather than being relegated straight away which could mean that fans are disillusioned because they think we should be getting points / winning games in the top division and would soon get bored of us losing most / every week and / or when we are back in the Championship, they would be bored because we arn't in the top division (especially if we don't go straight back up) and we lose spectators at games.

A team competing at the top end of the Championship (like Cardiff) is more likely to get fans returning every season than a team losing in the top flight, hoping to get a point every other match, getting relegated and then drifting into mid table obscurity (like too many others to mention).

I think this is down to which version fans think is in our best interest (short and long term)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Straight up or we will lose key players and bums on seats. If you get the chance, you have to go for it. It's not as if you can chose when you go up. Every club that gets promoted has to strengthen. If we do go up, then we will strengthen. I don't buy this "we will lose every week" mentality. Negative and just plain assumptive.

How many points did Derby get in 2007/8 when they were last in the top flight?
Answer = Played 38 won 1 drew 8 lost 29 for 20 against 89 points 11 position 20th

How many points will Reading, QPR, Wigan, Southampton or Sunderland get this? (they all have less than a point a game after 17 games played
Current table
16 Sunderland 17 3 7 7 18 24 −6 16
17 Southampton 16 4 3 9 22 32 −10 15
18 Wigan Athletic 17 4 3 10 18 32 −14 15
19 Queens Park Rangers 17 1 7 9 15 30 −15 10
20 Reading 17 1 6 10 21 36 −15 9

Does that look like we will win that many?

Southern Toon

Aug 6, 2010
The new premiership tv rights deal starting next season is a ticking time bomb for those clubs not in the top flight. Last season Wolves finished bottom of the PL and received £39 million, next season the bottom club is inline to receive £62 million and even these estimates are on the conservative side. If parachute payments increase as much as the new tv deal has then from season 2014/15 the goal of reaching the promise land will get a whole lot harder. You only have to look at the champions league to see the direction the premiership is heading, up until 2010 only seven English clubs had ever qualified for the group stages.
Premier League TV rights Q Sporting Intelligence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports