Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Suarez BITES again - ***Update: Luis Suarez banned from ALL football for 4 months***

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone else sad that we won't actually get the sweet revenge of watching him cry on pitch when Uruguay are eliminated?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Lol this is the best news I've had all year!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It would be difficult to inforce this, i personally think he should be allowed to train - other wise will FIFA be covering his wages?

Why should FIFA cover his wages? I would argue that Liverpool knew they were sticking with a player with an ever-increasing track record of picking up bans. By sticking with Suarez through all his misdemeanors, Liverpool have taken a calculated risk in the knowledge that any future bans were likely to be incrementally bigger.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Harsh on Liverpool this, not like they need excuses to moan more...........
I think the 'can't move clubs' rumour must be just that. I can't see that being legal. FIFA are not the law of the land/EU etc. I don't believe there is a rule or statute for that, they can't just make one up.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Disagree. This won't put of anyone.

Feel free to correct me, but doesn't the Spanish league start a few weeks later? He would miss even less of the season if he leaves

From FIFA:

The player Luis Suárez is banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) for a period of four (4) months in accordance with art. 22 of the FDC.

Administrative is the interesting one. I'm wondering if that means he could not negotiate a transfer during that time. And, that being the case, he couldn't just move once his ban is up in October, as the transfer window would be closed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Disagree. This won't put of anyone.

Feel free to correct me, but doesn't the Spanish league start a few weeks later? He would miss even less of the season if he leaves

Who's going to spend £80m on a player who will quite likely miss large parts of the season through doing ridiculous things time after time?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Just before the announcement the following was tweeted.
Is he going to have to stay on the coach as he's not allowed in the stadium? :lolol:

[tweet]482147772972666881[/tweet]

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Guardian is reporting he will miss the first nine matches of the Premier League season.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
All football activity for 4 months, does this mean he can't have pre season or train with Liverpool?

Would take him a while after his ban to get properly match fit if so

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"from any football activity"

Does that mean there will be someone on watch at his house, just in case he starts kicking a ball around the garden?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
From FIFA:

The player Luis Suárez is banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) for a period of four (4) months in accordance with art. 22 of the FDC.

Administrative is the interesting one. I'm wondering if that means he could not negotiate a transfer during that time. And, that being the case, he couldn't just move once his ban is up in October, as the transfer window would be closed.

I didn't see that part, it would be interesting to see

Could they ban him from transfers? Legally?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Confirmed (by SkySports at least) that "all football activity" means training as well.

Methinks a four month long sulk back at home in Montevideo is imminent.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
4 months? Fifa have bottled it, personally. It is a bit harsh on Liverpool, but its up to them now what they do - sell/take their own action or stand by him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Why should FIFA cover his wages? I would argue that Liverpool knew they were sticking with a player with an ever-increasing track record of picking up bans. By sticking with Suarez through all his misdemeanors, Liverpool have taken a calculated risk in the knowledge that any future bans were likely to be incrementally bigger.

Do you think it's fair they pay the wages of a player who is banned on international duty?

He has no one but himself to blame, but I can see this going on for some time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here