Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Street Lighting....

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If it is a yellow cross and it's near the curb it is most certainly the positioning for the new Government employment scheme, anyone on benefits will have to stand on said cross and carry out tasks for taxpayers residing in said Terrace for free, it's all about giving something back.

If anyone in the Terrace is unemployed this is the collection point for them to be taken to their "working" yellow cross.

Should be getting Pamphlet Gov4a ii (v) sent through your letterbox very soon.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
We had lights upgraded and relocated on our estate a year or so back, much brighter and due to the slope of the downs, they shine directly onto our groundfloor bedroom windows.

I was told they could put sheilds on the light covers to create dark spots, asked twice but was never done, no one was interested and I got used to sleeping in a brighter room. Much better visability when walking the dog late at night though.

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
actually, from the information you've gained and posted above, you dont know its a light and it could well be for any other utility. it seems odd to me that someone can request a street light down the road from them and that the council would place lights outside of their neat regulation distances. are there other similar marks, because i've seen when they install new lights they offset the new ones along abit then remove the orginals later.

Ok perhaps I could have made myself a little clearer ..the contractor had the plan in front of him when he rang me and confirmed the marking was for "pavement lighting" and having asked for my opinion agreed with me that the "planned location" was not in the optimum position eg 20 yards from the street light and directly under a large tree!!. From his plan he determined that the best position was outside the requestee's house which would a) illuminate the path outside his house and b) illuminate the "twitten" which runs down into the next close. The street lights were replaced and the old ones removed about three weeks ago - it was at this time that the marking outside my house appeared.

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Chester, do you KNOW for certain that your new neighbours requested a streetlight? It does seem a little odd, I think if I went to Brighton council and asked for a single additional streetlight in my road I'd be told to bugger off.

According to the "guardian of the neighbourhood" yes ...
Is nice that the council are being so caring and considerate ... if only they owned (and were therefore responsible) for the very very darkened garage area's at the rear of our property ... at least I would have got some compensation for the fractured hip I got when tripping over in the dark last year!

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
If it is a yellow cross and it's near the curb it is most certainly the positioning for the new Government employment scheme, anyone on benefits will have to stand on said cross and carry out tasks for taxpayers residing in said Terrace for free, it's all about giving something back.

If anyone in the Terrace is unemployed this is the collection point for them to be taken to their "working" yellow cross.

Should be getting Pamphlet Gov4a ii (v) sent through your letterbox very soon.

Thanks Tim ... it does seem a little strange that they should paint the yellow cross before a) canvassing opinion and b) sending out the Pamphlet....

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Once it is installed try turning it on and then off again.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Go out and buy a tin of yellow paint and brush.
Wait until it is dark (as you are clearly suffering from a lack of streetlights).
Go outside and paint as many yellow crosses as you can up and down your road, including in the street and on vertical walls.
Job done. The investigation will take months, in which time you can have a quiet word with the neighbour, point out that he might like to invest in a torch instead, and get on with life.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thats a genius idea. about 8 outside the lumination freaks house.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
According to the "guardian of the neighbourhood" yes ...
Is it worth you actually talking to the neighbour yourself? If it ISN'T their idea they may help you with Hampshire's idea of painting yellow crosses everywhere!

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Is it worth you actually talking to the neighbour yourself? If it ISN'T their idea they may help you with Hampshire's idea of painting yellow crosses everywhere!

The neighbour who requested it - hasn't had the courtesy to come round to say that they had done so I really can't be arsed to talk to them. They did request it as I overheard him talking to his son? on Sunday. They've moved in over the last six months or so and have managed to piss off quite a few of their neighbours. I should also point out that he has tarmack'd his path black - which means of course that he cant see underfoot in the dark
???

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Street lighting should be banned. It kills the view of the stars at night so no one is looking up. When we are invaded by aliens no one will notice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here