Street Lighting....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Morning all,

Has anybody any knowledge about the legalities of street lighting? In a nutshell I live in a row of terraced houses, a new neighbour has moved to the far end of the street and according to one of the other neighbours the "yellow cross" that has appeared on the pavement between my property and my next door neighbour marks the location of a new street light. It transpires that this has been requested by the new neighbours. Firstly Ive no requirement for any "street furniture" to be located outside of my property as the pavement directly outside my house (and the next door neighbours) is illuminated by a street light twenty or so yards away. The area directly outside the "requestees" house is admittedly dark so my suggestion would be to have the bloomin thing outside your house (thus keeping them awake instead of me. Does the council have to notify residents of any new additional street lighting or have they got carte blanche to do what they like? Is there anyway to object? (assuming that the information is correct in the first place?)

cheers!

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have you tried contacting your local council rather than what is primarily a football forum. Get their comments and then if not satisfied maybe someone on here might have the legal knowledge to help!!!!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure the Council have to at least come and talk to you about it, and ask for your views. I'd call them.

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Have you tried contacting your local council rather than what is primarily a football forum. Get their comments and then if not satisfied maybe someone on here might have the legal knowledge to help!!!!

I checked out their website this morning but found nothing relating to my query... Ive always found that there is somebody on NSC who has some valuable input.:drink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So if we think it's a bit gloomy outside our house, we can phone up the council who will come round and plonk a new streetlight down?

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Update #1

Ive rung the council who stated that IF the intention is to put a street light up we'll get a leaflet about 4 weeks before (no leaflet thus far), they also mentioned that there was some major upgrade of street lights in the area so it might have something to do with that ("this has already taken place ... dont you have records of what you've done"?). They are now "looking into it" and "will get back to me within 5 working days".... I will, if I may Bozza, use your quote as and when they ring me back! (Rest assured I will be ringing them if nothing is heard) .

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Update #1

Ive rung the council who stated that IF the intention is to put a street light up we'll get a leaflet about 4 weeks before (no leaflet thus far), they also mentioned that there was some major upgrade of street lights in the area so it might have something to do with that ("this has already taken place ... dont you have records of what you've done"?). They are now "looking into it" and "will get back to me within 5 working days".... I will, if I may Bozza, use your quote as and when they ring me back! (Rest assured I will be ringing them if nothing is heard) .

Seems like a reasonable reply - although give 'em hell, if they don't get back to you.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Are you sure its for a street light and not some other utility company about to dig up the pavement to fit a leak or something.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Update #1

You might want to write instead of calling.
It's probably something else anyway, but I doubt your call has even been remembered let alone logged.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Instead of a streetlight could it be one of those 6 foot high green telecoms cabinets that is being installed in preparation for high speed broadband ?

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Instead of a streetlight could it be one of those 6 foot high green telecoms cabinets that is being installed in preparation for high speed broadband ?

No the company who are contracted to install "pavement lighting" at the behest of the local council (for that read the bloke up the road who requested it in the first place) rang me up to ask my opinion - to cut a long story short they are going to put it outside the house of the bloke who requested it (apparently) :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No the company who are contracted to install "pavement lighting" at the behest of the local council (for that read the bloke up the road who requested it in the first place) rang me up to ask my opinion - to cut a long story short they are going to put it outside the house of the bloke who requested it (apparently) :thumbsup:

actually, from the information you've gained and posted above, you dont know its a light and it could well be for any other utility. it seems odd to me that someone can request a street light down the road from them and that the council would place lights outside of their neat regulation distances. are there other similar marks, because i've seen when they install new lights they offset the new ones along abit then remove the orginals later.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Chester, do you KNOW for certain that your new neighbours requested a streetlight? It does seem a little odd, I think if I went to Brighton council and asked for a single additional streetlight in my road I'd be told to bugger off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports