Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Strange Fact About Port Vale !

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Crappy place, we rarely did well there. I do miss the lower league away games from yes-ter-year but Port Vale away I can do without.

My strange fact about Port Vale is that I've only ever eaten ONE KFC in England in my life......and that was in 1993, watch Hull City away at Port Vale!:)

Crappy place, we rarely did well there. I do miss the lower league away games from yes-ter-year but Port Vale away I can do without.

My strange fact about Port Vale is that I've only ever eaten ONE KFC in England in my life......and that was in 1993, watch Hull City away at Port Vale!:)

Our record v Port Vale:

19 wins
16 draws
17 defeats

Most recent results … 616AEB29-35AD-4ADE-A9DE-8773B5C97884.jpeg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There will be plenty of sides who have beaten at least once every club they have met in the league or one of the cups. Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool shirley?

The only club on our list is Chelsea.

Yeah, every club they've met. But the only teams that get a chance to beat every other League team are those (like us) who've journeyed up and down the divisions over the years. Teams who've spent nearly all their time in the top division, or even the top two divisions, won't have played the likes of Rochdale for example who've never even reached the second tier.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I'm not sure if it was just before or after the war, their plans for a new ground were hailed as the Wembley of the north. The final build was scaled back a tad.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It could just be me not understanding technical terms, what does "beating a team "mean? I thought you could only"draw with" or "lose to"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, every club they've met. But the only teams that get a chance to beat every other League team are those (like us) who've journeyed up and down the divisions over the years. Teams who've spent nearly all their time in the top division, or even the top two divisions, won't have played the likes of Rochdale for example who've never even reached the second tier.

Precisely.

So in what way is bumping around in the lower divisions an achievement?

Should we celebrate if we drop back to tier 4 and get a chance to beat the likes of Harrogate and Stevenage?

(I do realise there are some posters on NSC who would prefer this to bumping along in the lower reaches of the EPL).

Thus, I'd call it a curiosity rather than an achievement, but if this has brightened up the lives of the residents of Burslem then I guess they can fill their boots.

Edit: Mr grumpy-pumpy was in full flow earlier. I'll get my coat :whistle:

Last edited:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
My first ever game at The Goldstone was v Port Vale - 3rd April 1991.

I was in the process of moving to Sussex from Hampshire due to a job move and was staying in a hotel during the week while Mrs HS was back home 8 months pregnant with our second son!!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
It's the newer teams that they're missing - none of those have beaten Forest Green competitively for example.

I realise that, but historically they could have beaten all league teams at that particular point in time ?

Eg Wimbledons rise through all the divisions ?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I remember our last league game at Port Vale... duh-duh-duh-duh NATHAN ELDER!!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Precisely.

So in what way is bumping around in the lower divisions an achievement?

Should we celebrate if we drop back to tier 4 and get a chance to beat the likes of Harrogate and Stevenage?

(I do realise there are some posters on NSC who would prefer this to bumping along in the lower reaches of the EPL).

Thus, I'd call it a curiosity rather than an achievement, but if this has brightened up the lives of the residents of Burslem then I guess they can fill their boots.

A5CCABC5-DE9F-4031-95D7-58C2E45E4EF5.jpeg

:lolol:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Great atmosphere at Vale Park and that pitch always seems so wide - winger Steve Guppy is still a legend there (along with Martin Foyle and manager John Rudge) where he went on to sign for Leicester. They were a great club in the nineties. Darts genius Phil Taylor and Robbie Williams are their celebrity fans!

Soccer Aid all time top goalscorer Jonathan Wilkes?

???

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Our record v Port Vale:

19 wins
16 draws
17 defeats

Most recent results …View attachment 146452

I worked in Lewes/Brighton with a massive Vale fan between December 1991 and 1997, and as can be seen we lost 5 straight to them over that period, including their promotion party in 94. :facepalm:

As I have bored people with on here before, my first ever match was the 1-1 against Vale in October 1971, when it turns out Nobby Horton played for Vale.:salute:

Final trivia fact, Port Vale is named after a house.:laugh:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I worked in Lewes/Brighton with a massive Vale fan between December 1991 and 1997, and as can be seen we lost 5 straight to them over that period, including their promotion party in 94. :facepalm:

As I have bored people with on here before, my first ever match was the 1-1 against Vale in October 1971, when it turns out Nobby Horton played for Vale.:salute:

Final trivia fact, Port Vale is named after a house.:laugh:

One of my housemates at University was a big Vale fan. The other two were Reading and Blackburn.

We beat Vale in the first game between teams. Thereafter the cumulative results for The Albion were

Played 11
Lost 11
For 2
Against 25

:wozza:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here