Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Strange Fact About Port Vale !

D5FF961D-9AA8-42D4-974B-A47E35496017.jpeg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's a good one.

Little fact, Port Vale is one of my top five most visited league grounds.Great little pub crawl up the hill.

It was also the outing in which [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] myself and others set the record for most tinnies in a BR locker (88) in 1990.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There will be plenty of sides who have beaten at least once every club they have met in the league or one of the cups. Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool shirley?

The only club on our list is Chelsea.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
There will be plenty of sides who have beaten at least once every club they have met in the league or one of the cups. Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool shirley?

We've never beaten Salford

Edit

Or Harrogate.

Edit again

I hadn't read your comment properly / you hadn't read the opening comment properly / both.

Maybe both.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

Not sure we have beaten (or played) Sutton Utd in the league either?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Great atmosphere at Vale Park and that pitch always seems so wide - winger Steve Guppy is still a legend there (along with Martin Foyle and manager John Rudge) where he went on to sign for Leicester. They were a great club in the nineties. Darts genius Phil Taylor and Robbie Williams are their celebrity fans!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If they lose their next game 1-0 through an own goal will it be all 92 they’ve beaten?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What a wonderful stat, and achievement.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder when they beat, say, Liverpool, Spurs or Arsenal in the league (back in the days of Burslem Port Vale and Woolwich Arsenal, I presume). Still, unlike us, they can never claim to have beaten Thames United, Merthyr Town or Aberdare Athletic I suppose! I do hope, however, that we don't get round to beating Sutton, Salford or Fleetwood Town in the league any time soon!

Just Chelsea next season will do fine for me!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I always had a real dislike for Port Vale in the 90's. I dreaded our games against them, not sure what our record was against them but I can't think of too many pleasant memories playing them, and then when Minton signed for them I was truly gutted.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I always had a real dislike for Port Vale in the 90's. I dreaded our games against them, not sure what our record was against them but I can't think of too many pleasant memories playing them, and then when Minton signed for them I was truly gutted.

They sealed promotion at the Goldstone in 1994, last game of season.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Are they though the first club to do this? Has it been done previously with a few different, but longer standing, clubs amongst the 91?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We've never beaten Salford

Edit

Or Harrogate.

Edit again

I hadn't read your comment properly / you hadn't read the opening comment properly / both.

Maybe both.

It's either me or you.

It's you :rolleyes:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Are they though the first club to do this? Has it been done previously with a few different, but longer standing, clubs amongst the 91?

Thinking about it, it's unlikely up until the late 50s when the two bottom leagues were divided.

After that, there are teams in different regions that clubs such as Liverpool or Everton would never have come into contact with.

Edit:

A quick look. Liverpool have never played Colchester United. Arsenal have never played Exeter City. Everton have never played Mansfield.

Thinking about it, Portsmouth, Bolton Wanderes and Huddersfield Town might be an interesting check though. In more recent times, Wimbledon and Wigan Athletic.

Someone else can do it.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thinking about it, it's unlikely up until the late 50s when the two bottom leagues were divided.

After that, there are teams in different regions that clubs such as Liverpool or Everton would never have come into contact with.

Edit:

A quick look. Liverpool have never played Colchester United. Arsenal have never played Exeter City. Everton have never played Mansfield.

Anywhere or just league games?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here