Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Story ideas needed fast, please help

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I once had a piss next to Mike Gatting in a pub just outside Macclesfield.

Sorry, I really don't know why I've brought that up. Carry on.

At the Sussex CCC end of season awards I was having a pee and in the urinal on the right was Chris Adams, and the other side was Murray Goodwin. They were having a chat over and around me.

It has been one of the highlights of my life so far......

Stumpy Tim

I once had a piss next to Mike Gatting in a pub just outside Macclesfield.

Sorry, I really don't know why I've brought that up. Carry on.

I once had a piss next to Dermott Reeve - we were both pissing in sinks as the queue for urinals was too long.

Someone could write a horror novel about the state of my guts today, that's for sure.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So....you get a full-time job and ask people to come up with article ideas. Yet when I want to write for magazines I need to generate all ideas myself, sometimes as many as 10 a day to submit to editors, with about 1 in 30 actually being accepted? Oh boy, the life of a four four two writer :(

This. It seems to be par for the course in all parts of journalism. I remember an ex-colleague going for a job at The Grocer, where she had to come up with about six feature ideas as part of the interviews. It struck me then that they would just be using any decent ones from failed candidates for themselves.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
They're all great urinal stories but they need a bit of spicing up. Say that you were a child and they tried to look at your winkie. It's all about celebrity kiddy-fiddling nowadays.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
They're all great urinal stories but they need a bit of spicing up. Say that you were a child and they tried to look at your winkie. It's all about celebrity kiddy-fiddling nowadays.

The FourFourTwo coverage on the Savile case was very comprehensive.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The FourFourTwo coverage on the Savile case was very comprehensive.

Ah. So they won't want my Jimmy Rimmer at the urinal story then. Shame that as it was a corker.

Here's another then. The day after we lost to Stoke in the FA Cup I bumped into Calderon and his missus upstairs in Habitat. They were looking at bed linen. After I'd said it was a shame we lost there was a very heavy silence because I don't really know that much about footie. So we got talking about bed linen instead and I was on much firmer ground.

I recommended they pop down to Cologne and Cotton opposite Castle Square. Calderon thanked me and I went to look at some towels. His wife smiled at me too. That was a nice touch.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Hi Guys,

My name is Jamie, I'm a young journalist and I am currently doing work experience at FourFourTwo Magazine. I need a really strong, solid feature idea to put in the mag, if anyone knows anything about a quirky piece of news from around the world or even something a little closer to home, all ideas will be appreciated. It could be anything from a manager who has a strange second job or a player who received an unusual punishment, anything will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help guys really appreciate it.

It's part of your job to find your own story. If you can't do that, think of another career.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I suppose Jamie could do it about ordinary people knowing footballers. Here's my story about how I know Brian Horton:

When Brian Horton was our manager I met him after a game once. I walked up to him and said "Hi Brian, remember me? How's it going?"
He looked at me a bit puzzled and said, "Sorry, do I know you?"
"Yeah, of course!" I replied, "What a night that was eh?"
"No, I'm sorry," said Nobby, "I really haven't a clue who you are."
Now it was my turn to look puzzled. "You must remember me," I exclaimed, "The promotion season? That last game against Sheffield Wednesday? Don't you remember? I threw the ball back to you!"

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's part of your job to find your own story. If you can't do that, think of another career.

And miss out on all these great anecdotes? He'd be a fool not to use some of these, maybe even serialise them.

Ive got loads more by the way. When I was growing up the house that backed onto our garden was owned by Dickie Davies' brother. It really made watching World Of Sport extra special.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
And miss out on all these great anecdotes? He'd be a fool not to use some of these, maybe even serialise them.

Ive got loads more by the way. When I was growing up the house that backed onto our garden was owned by Dickie Davies' brother. It really made watching World Of Sport extra special.

Just to let you know you have relegated Stephen Fry off of my fantasy dinner party guest list......

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I suppose Jamie could do it about ordinary people knowing footballers. Here's my story about how I know Brian Horton:

When Brian Horton was our manager I met him after a game once. I walked up to him and said "Hi Brian, remember me? How's it going?"
He looked at me a bit puzzled and said, "Sorry, do I know you?"
"Yeah, of course!" I replied, "What a night that was eh?"
"No, I'm sorry," said Nobby, "I really haven't a clue who you are."
Now it was my turn to look puzzled. "You must remember me," I exclaimed, "The promotion season? That last game against Sheffield Wednesday? Don't you remember? I threw the ball back to you!"

That's a great story.

I've thought long and hard about whether to give up my particular GEM of a story but I think Jamie deserves a good choice of material.

I was working at Solent radio in Southampton (based in the St Marys stadium). I was working on some pre-match material for the commentry and in walked co-commentator Jimmy Case. I panicked. Do I tell him I'm a brighton fan and GUSH or is he one of these footballers who doesn't like to talk about it?

Anyway a few minutes later I decide to do a coffee run. I asked around and got the orders. I then got to Jimmy. He had been informed I was a Brighton fan and could see I was clearly tentative in his prescence. The beads of sweat rolled from a 20 year old forehead. The piece of paper in my hand shook in front of this footballing god. It was then that he uttered 5 words which I will never forget to this day:

"I'll have a coffee please"

You're welcome Jamie.

Stumpy Tim

A few weeks ago I was walking to the Brighton station car park, round the back way near the Jury's Inn. As I walked up the hill I spotted a family walking in my direction, with a pushchair. At this two point, two joggers ran past and one said to the other, "That's the Brighton goalkeeper". I had to laugh out loud as it wasn't at all. It was Peter Brezovan

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I've got a great idea for a romantic comedy. The women will love it, it's a real classic, cliched boy meets girl tale, initially they hate each other but then they end up in bed together.

I call it "The Rapist".

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
A few weeks ago I was walking to the Brighton station car park, round the back way near the Jury's Inn. As I walked up the hill I spotted a family walking in my direction, with a pushchair. At this two point, two joggers ran past and one said to the other, "That's the Brighton goalkeeper". I had to laugh out loud as it wasn't at all. It was Peter Brezovan

I like the way, when reading out the Albion substitutes, Richard Reynolds says "In goal, number one, Peter Brezovan" when really he means "On the bench...."

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
I play in goal for a league winning football team, smudgeykinz town, i would be willing to give you an interview providing i get to choose the questions you ask.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is it worth pointing out at this juncture that Crystal Palace are run by lizard-people? Could be worth investigating.

Jimmy Grimble

Jury's Inn you say?

I've got a story about that place which could put Jamie's name on the map.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Does anyone rememeber that :lolol:

Sorry, Ill try again. Does anyone remem :lolol:

Ok. Compose yourself Mejona.

Does ANYONE remember when that SQUIRREL ran on the pitch? AHAHAHAHAHA :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Jamie. That's GOLD.

Dec 29, 2011
I don't know what sort of approach fourfourtwo usually has in it's articles (i.e. if it's more soccer am or sunday supplement), so some of these may not be appropriate

-the way everything in football has evolved with the exception of tackling. For some reason we are stuck in past, clinging to a fabled "art of tackling" that doesn't want to change even though the rest of football has.
-evolution of entertainment, the way throughout history tthigs become popular, embraced by the masses, then become something embrace by the elite and the money takes it away for the masses (opera, theatre, etc).
-the quirks of fandom - the way fans like to establish hierarchies within their team's fanbase, usually putting themselves in the top group (the number of away games attended, the length of fandom, etc.
-a discussion of what makes a team 'big'.
-far reaching impact of technology in the game - I don't believe either side of the technology argument really has an appreciation for the changes it could have (might require a lot of research)
-the rise of stats in the game (stats used to be the preserve of american sports, now stats are recorded for every game)
-the value of a club to it's community (cost as well as reward - thinking of the teams going bust and the knock on effect, the search for greater investment from bigger brands at the expense of local ones)
-An indepth, and accessible look at ffp
-the cultural parallels of criticisms towards those that enforce the law rather than those that break them (criticising refs/speed cameras rather than fouling players/speeding drivers etc.) Do we make refereeing seem worse than it is by always looking first to blame a referee for an incident rather than looking at the players' part.
-how foreign is diving? Do we really want it eliminated from our game?
-how well do pundits/commentators really know the laws of the game? Can really judge incidents fairly or will they always side with the player?
-how important is national pride in european competition given the international make up of teams and owners?

I liked this post, maybe too intelligent for OP to understand though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here