Story ideas needed fast, please help

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walker_this_way

Oct 18, 2011
Hi Guys,

My name is Jamie, I'm a young journalist and I am currently doing work experience at FourFourTwo Magazine. I need a really strong, solid feature idea to put in the mag, if anyone knows anything about a quirky piece of news from around the world or even something a little closer to home, all ideas will be appreciated. It could be anything from a manager who has a strange second job or a player who received an unusual punishment, anything will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help guys really appreciate it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Hi Guys,

My name is Jamie, I'm a young journalist and I am currently doing work experience at FourFourTwo Magazine. I need a really strong, solid feature idea to put in the mag, if anyone knows anything about a quirky piece of news from around the world or even something a little closer to home, all ideas will be appreciated. It could be anything from a manager who has a strange second job or a player who received an unusual punishment, anything will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help guys really appreciate it.

Did you know Charlie Oatway has many names, named after some QPR cup winning side. And the really great thing is no one has ever mentioned it, EVER. A real scoop for you.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did you know Stevie Coppell has VD ?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Write a piece on how you shouldn't ask a football forum for advice on how to write an article. I think you might have a fair bit of content in an hour or so....

Good luck!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I once stood next to goalkeeper Jimmy Rimmer at a urinal in Heswall in the Wirral. I then tried to make a joke about having a Jimmy Riddle next to Jimmy Rimmer and the likelihood of Eartha Kitt being in the next trap next time I had an...um... Eartha Kitt. The gag was rubbish, my mates groaned and we never mentioned it again.

Enough to be going on with? I can embellish if you want. Sex it up a bit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know what sort of approach fourfourtwo usually has in it's articles (i.e. if it's more soccer am or sunday supplement), so some of these may not be appropriate

-the way everything in football has evolved with the exception of tackling. For some reason we are stuck in past, clinging to a fabled "art of tackling" that doesn't want to change even though the rest of football has.
-evolution of entertainment, the way throughout history tthigs become popular, embraced by the masses, then become something embrace by the elite and the money takes it away for the masses (opera, theatre, etc).
-the quirks of fandom - the way fans like to establish hierarchies within their team's fanbase, usually putting themselves in the top group (the number of away games attended, the length of fandom, etc.
-a discussion of what makes a team 'big'.
-far reaching impact of technology in the game - I don't believe either side of the technology argument really has an appreciation for the changes it could have (might require a lot of research)
-the rise of stats in the game (stats used to be the preserve of american sports, now stats are recorded for every game)
-the value of a club to it's community (cost as well as reward - thinking of the teams going bust and the knock on effect, the search for greater investment from bigger brands at the expense of local ones)
-An indepth, and accessible look at ffp
-the cultural parallels of criticisms towards those that enforce the law rather than those that break them (criticising refs/speed cameras rather than fouling players/speeding drivers etc.) Do we make refereeing seem worse than it is by always looking first to blame a referee for an incident rather than looking at the players' part.
-how foreign is diving? Do we really want it eliminated from our game?
-how well do pundits/commentators really know the laws of the game? Can really judge incidents fairly or will they always side with the player?
-how important is national pride in european competition given the international make up of teams and owners?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I once stood next to goalkeeper Jimmy Rimmer at a urinal in Heswall in the Wirral. I then tried to make a joke about having a Jimmy Riddle next to Jimmy Rimmer and the likelihood of Eartha Kitt being in the next trap next time I had an...um... Eartha Kitt. The gag was rubbish, my mates groaned and we never mentioned it again.

Enough to be going on with? I can embellish if you want. Sex it up a bit.
I once had a piss next to Mike Gatting in a pub just outside Macclesfield.

Sorry, I really don't know why I've brought that up. Carry on.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
So....you get a full-time job and ask people to come up with article ideas. Yet when I want to write for magazines I need to generate all ideas myself, sometimes as many as 10 a day to submit to editors, with about 1 in 30 actually being accepted? Oh boy, the life of a four four two writer :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports