Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Storm Ciaran on its way or here?

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Nope - it's certainly no 1987 and the weather in Worthing yesterday was far worse than it is today.

Just more media frenzy.

BTW does anybody know why first the BBC and now other media outlets started giving storms names? I can understand why CBeebies might do it for the young 'uns but R4 ffs? A storm is a weather event not a person or pet.

Giving a storm a name tells me NOTHING about the storm. How bad is it? Is it a windy storm? Or a rain storm? When will it hit? How long will it last? How blowy will it be? Is it going to be bad enough to cause damage?

None of those questions are answered by some dimlow with nothing better to do trying to give a storm a persona by giving it a name.
Apparently, giving a storm a name means it's respected more by the general public, so we decide against doing stupid shit like fixing a TV aerial during inclement weather.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Stuff like this is why I don’t get why people think of things as a let down. Do people want this to happen to them so they have a story? Maybe I am just old and boring now but I will be perfectly happy if my fence doesn’t blow down and car get crushed by a tree.
Yep - weird amount of people on here who seem to be disappointed there isn't this amount of damage. And it's clearly not the media hyping things up either as the devastation elsewhere shows - we have just been lucky(or not, in some folks eyes it seems) to have missed the worst of it

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
....so we decide against doing stupid shit like fixing a TV aerial during inclement weather.
5313ee2ee34829be5086ad2822fb9513.jpg

If only he'd stayed indoors.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
On BBC news correspondent in Hastings just said a lot of weather has come through. FFS 🤦‍♂️

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Before people start poo-pooing the 1987 comparisons, let’s get one thing clear. This was a very near miss. This storm tracked slightly further south than expected, had it tracked 10-20 miles further north we’d have been looking at 1987 2.0 without question.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just seen Jersey on the news, looks very bad. We had a couple of short but vicious storms when we lived in South Africa and I would not wish them on anyone. Keep safe and don't be silly.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
That said, he avoided the inevitable 6am police raid...
I was disappointed to discover he didn't actually live in a pink windmill, just a modest cottage near Rye.

And although he didn't cohabit with Grotbags, my hunch is the property was [potentially] full of grot mags.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
BTW does anybody know why first the BBC and now other media outlets started giving storms names? I can understand why CBeebies might do it for the young 'uns but R4 ffs? A storm is a weather event not a person or pet.
Storms are named by the Met Office and other linked institutions (Irish, French counterparts etc.). Not by the media.

Might be an idea to understand what you’re ranting about before accusing others of being a “dimlow”?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Giving a storm a name tells me NOTHING about the storm. How bad is it? Is it a windy storm? Or a rain storm? When will it hit? How long will it last? How blowy will it be? Is it going to be bad enough to cause damage?

None of those questions are answered by some dimlow with nothing better to do trying to give a storm a persona by giving it a name.
It was first done over 100 years ago by Clement Wragge, as any fule kno.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That said, he avoided the inevitable 6am police raid...
He used to drink in The Queen’s Head in Icklesham, always appeared a nice chap.

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
the wind seems to be picking up again down at east preston…. the seas very choppy

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Just more media frenzy.

It wasn't the BBC or any other media outlet that started giving them names, it was the Met Office and BBC simply reported using the given names. The weather presenters used to be Met office employees. Met as in meteorological, not metropolitan.

'The Met Office decided to start giving storms names back in 2014, in the same way they do in America. The first windstorm to be named was Abigail on 10 November 2015. The Met Office hoped that naming big storms will make people more aware of them and how dangerous they can be'.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nope - it's certainly no 1987 and the weather in Worthing yesterday was far worse than it is today.

Just more media frenzy.

Try telling that to people in the Channel Islands - easily the worst since 1987 for them. We were just lucky here in Sussex and along much of the south coast that it tracked just a bit further south than expected - but it was very marginal.

Reactions: A1X

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It wasn't the BBC or any other media outlet that started giving them names, it was the Met Office and BBC simply reported using the given names. The weather presenters used to be Met office employees. Met as in meteorological, not metropolitan.

'The Met Office decided to start giving storms names back in 2014, in the same way they do in America. The first windstorm to be named was Abigail on 10 November 2015. The Met Office hoped that naming big storms will make people more aware of them and how dangerous they can be'.
It also allows the number per year or season to be quantified as they have to meet a criteria and are then named in sequence with names beginning 'A', 'B', 'C' and so on, so if the last one in a given time period is called 'Eric' you know you've had five that met the severity. A nice side effect is it gives insurers and reinsurers some structured data to work with when assessing the impact of their storm claims (these people are currently doing a LOT of work regarding climate change and natural catastrophes).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here