Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop this nonsense of Covid passports, ID and masks

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Actually, us Brits recently voted for a Government which is gradually reducing our freedoms and giving the police MORE power. We voted in 2016 to get rid of our rights to live, work and travel in 30 countries in Europe. No one seems to be taking much notice of the Policing Bill which is currently going through parliament.

Contrary to your view, it seems that the majority of people are, in fact, quite happy to have less freedom and to increase the power of the police.

Actually it’s the Labour Party and Liberal party which are happy to give away our freedom , we left the E U some we could govern ourselves rather than being ruled from Brussels

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This,

In summary, my match day experience was:

Train journey in - just like the first half of the 2019/20 season. As mentioned elsewhere on this thread this won't be for everyone and is probably the biggest risk v freedom decision you'll make for an Albion game.

Getting in the North Stand - time wise no difference to normal. Instead of being lightly frisked by stewards they instead looked at my Covid Pass (already with my phone out for tickets) and quickly but definitely matched it to my ID. They weren't in the least bit interested in my 14 year old son's ID. The phone tickets work far better on the turnstiles than the print at home used to.

Once in - short queue for a pint for me and some food for the boy. Ate and drunk mask less. Said hello in the good old fashioned way to a couple of old faces. Sat in the seats and sang, maskless. Watched the Albion play badly and lose with a terrible ref in charge.

The only thing that wasn't "normal" was that instead of checking you for weapons that could, in theory, hurt someone in the ground you were checked for protection against a disease that could kill someone inside the ground.

I do agree that none of this is paying a fiver to a bloke in a turnstile at the Goldstone and standing swaying behind the goal with a fag in your hand, nor will away trips be as easy as they once were, but that was always the case with the Amex and Premier League football. If you want that experience go and watch any one of the local non league teams.
Yes, having to show a Covid jabs cerificate and match it to your ID made little difference to your match day experience, I appreciate that.

But that's because you've already swallowed all the other demands the club (and I suspect all PL clubs are pretty much the same - I'm not picking on Brighton) - booking in advance and not just showing up on the day. membership, loyalty points, ID checks so you can't lend your season ticket to a friend, the club knows all about where you live, your phone number, email address etc. - so a little matter of adding a Covid certificate is nothing. The battle (if such it is) had already been lost.

It's not so much a loss of freedom (like, as you say, to turn up at the Goldstone, hand the bloke on the turnstyle a fiver and stand where you like) - it's the total and utter control over its customers (who used to be fans) that has, bit by bit, been taken over and imposed by the club.

Sadly, post Covid, I think this will appply more and more to other things than football.. Visitor attractions - wildlife parks, zoos, stately homes, preserved railways, for example - may well find it more convenient to know exactly how many visitors they'll get on a particular day, all paid for in advance, and so how many staff they'll need, how much of the attraction will have to be operating and at what level. Welcome to the new normal!

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
PB explained on the video that rules were to protect staff and supporters,
Importantly he also said these precautions were put in place to make sure The Albion wouldn’t be responsible for a spike in COVID cases which would result in more match day restrictions.
I am often a critic of PB but I think throughout the COVID nightmare the Club have done their best to protect everyone.
I guess the number of supporters who won’t attend matches due to these rules will be vastly outnumbered by those who will return as they feel safer having a few simple rules in place.
Let’s all get behind the Albion safely.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes, having to show a Covid jabs cerificate and match it to your ID made little difference to your match day experience, I appreciate that.

But that's because you've already swallowed all the other demands the club (and I suspect all PL clubs are pretty much the same - I'm not picking on Brighton) - booking in advance and not just showing up on the day. membership, loyalty points, ID checks so you can't lend your season ticket to a friend, the club knows all about where you live, your phone number, email address etc. - so a little matter of adding a Covid certificate is nothing. The battle (if such it is) had already been lost.

It's not so much a loss of freedom (like, as you say, to turn up at the Goldstone, hand the bloke on the turnstyle a fiver and stand where you like) - it's the total and utter control over its customers (who used to be fans) that has, bit by bit, been taken over and imposed by the club.

Sadly, post Covid, I think this will appply more and more to other things than football.. Visitor attractions - wildlife parks, zoos, stately homes, preserved railways, for example - may well find it more convenient to know exactly how many visitors they'll get on a particular day, all paid for in advance, and so how many staff they'll need, how much of the attraction will have to be operating and at what level. Welcome to the new normal!

It's hardly total and utter control. Also, you're still trying to play the customer not fans card. The club have never said it's one and not the other. I much prefer to be treated like I'm a customer in that it's better to treat your fans as if they have a choice, ie better choice of beers/lagers, better pies, padded seats etc etc. If you want a club to just treat you like a 'fan' then when Brighton did that we had a lego stand and perimeter fences, a brick wall under some tatty corrugated asbestos as the toilet and food that was probably left over from the previous game.

You also can't turn up when you like because we sell out. For big games back in the 70s I remember getting tickets, eg Derby in the league cup or the big games in the cup! For most league games we didn't sell out so you could just turn up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I don't disagree and, in fact, had a conversation along those sorts of lines with someone before kick off yesterday.

It's certainly different for those of us of a certain vintage. My son hasn't really known any different, whereas at his age, I was telling my parents I was going round a mates house. Funnily enough he lived on the way to the Goldstone and I'd often go "round to his" after lunch on a Saturday and return home around 5.30 or 6pm smelling slightly of smoke. With no record of fan names or mobile phones I like to think I got away with this rather obvious trick!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If I was running a business that is EXACTLY what I would want to do.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There's a lot of people that are restricting themselves from getting on with their lives.

Their decision.

The rest of us will start to enjoy our lives again which we will embrace, sod'em

I am one of those restricting my life, I do so because my wife has virtually no immune system following on from her cancer treatment. She caught COVID last year and it was touch and go ( i had that call with the ITU people) but she pulled through thanks to very early use of dexamethasone and tocilizumab (prescribed by her oncologists)

Its not a decision , I have no choice in the matter,

Thank you for your support

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Actually it’s the Labour Party and Liberal party which are happy to give away our freedom , we left the E U some we could govern ourselves rather than being ruled from Brussels
Depends how you define freedom really. Freedom to live in one country, bound by that country's rules but not by others. Or freedom to live and travel freely in 28 countries, with some shared rules that you have less of an invidividual say over.

Anyway, on the thread topic - can't see what the fuss is about. If you have been jabbed, the NHS already have a record of it along with all other jabs you've ever had. The football club aren't recording this information and they're not going to use it, it's just for a steward to check.

If you don't want a jab, it's pretty easy - get a test instead with some very mild discomfort and a 30 minute wait for a result.

Also don't understand why some people are so fussed about wearing masks, it causes about as much discomfort as wearing a pair of sunglasses. I'm not too bothered about wearing masks either way but if someone asks me to wear one then I'll wear one. It's hardly a big deal.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I am one of those restricting my life, I do so because my wife has virtually no immune system following on from her cancer treatment. She caught COVID last year and it was touch and go ( i had that call with the ITU people) but she pulled through thanks to very early use of dexamethasone and tocilizumab (prescribed by her oncologists)

I have posted many times about lock down etc.

Think you may have misconstrued my post. You, like I have had to restrict my life as my wife is disabled with a very lung disease. If she caught covid it will kill her she functions on about 25% lung capacity!

The point I made are there's those that will fully comply with requests to enable them and others to be as safe as possible and then there's those that are all about them. If they want it to be only about them and their refusal to show that they are or will be compliant, sod'em.

I hate intrusion of my privacy, will never have a store card etc but in the case of health for me and importantly others I will continue to do what is necessary.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I wish that some of the freedom fighters would consider the freedoms of you and your wife. It only takes consideration and a few tiny sacrifices from the rest of us and you and many others might have your own Freedom Day at some point.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018

Sadly?

It means going to a restaurant and being given a table. Visiting a theatre or concert and getting a seat. Arriving at an airport and boarding a plane. Visiting a special exhibition that is not too crowded. All with sufficient staff and amenities to cater for the actual level of visitors.

Welcome to the new world, with all its lack of freedom and control.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I wish that some of the freedom fighters would consider the freedoms of you and your wife. It only takes consideration and a few tiny sacrifices from the rest of us and you and many others might have your own Freedom Day at some point.

You put it better than I did :)

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
It’s all been discussed on another thread and it didn’t seem like we were getting anywhere, so why bother?

I’ll just say what I said before - I think it will have a detrimental effect on the size of our crowds. People aren’t willing to have things taken away and then only given back with extra ‘conditions’, others are when they don’t believe they’ve been played.

Will vaccine passports and such actually make a difference? Well, we’ll have to see how the non-passport stadium towns go.

Found this interesting though and should provide some hope, but no doubt some will get annoyed about it.
1171F6A8-B789-41EA-9E56-93F69A59C44C.jpeg

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Yep everyone that is against Covid passports want people to die. FFS it's this kind of debate that really pisses me off.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It’s all been discussed on another thread and it didn’t seem like we were getting anywhere, so why bother?

I’ll just say what I said before - I think it will have a detrimental effect on the size of our crowds. People aren’t willing to have things taken away and then only given back with extra ‘conditions’, others are when they don’t believe they’ve been played.

Will vaccine passports and such actually make a difference? Well, we’ll have to see how the non-passport stadium towns go.

Found this interesting though and should provide some hope, but no doubt some will get annoyed about it.
View attachment 139308

So we should be encouraging everyone to catch Covid, including those who are in high risk category?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yep everyone that is against Covid passports want people to die. FFS it's this kind of debate that really pisses me off.

Actions speak louder than words

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
So we should be encouraging everyone to catch Covid, including those who are in high risk category?

Yes, that’s obviously what I said, isn’t it? :ffsparr:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
View attachment 139308

There's an obvious flaw in that quote, in the use of the word "again".

People who only have immunity through vaccination, by definition, didn't catch the disease before that point, and have a vastly improved defence against the disease without having had a potentially fatal disease to achieve it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Whether I've had covid jabs makes no difference to if can do my job .... or not. Being ill does and so of.course I would have to tell my employer about being ill. The problem here is we've added jab shaming to mask shaming ...... very slippery slope.

People who refuse to wear masks or take jabs are putting innocent people's lives at risk by doing so. They should be shamed. Just as public opinion has turned vehemently against drink-driving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here