Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop this nonsense of Covid passports, ID and masks

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sadly, post Covid, I think this will appply more and more to other things than football.. Visitor attractions - wildlife parks, zoos, stately homes, preserved railways, for example - may well find it more convenient to know exactly how many visitors they'll get on a particular day, all paid for in advance, and so how many staff they'll need, how much of the attraction will have to be operating and at what level. Welcome to the new normal!

So what you're saying is they might find they can run their businesses more efficiently rather than preparing for the worst every time? For example, to borrow your preserved railway link, if a railway knows that they'll only get 150 people travel with them on a particular day then they can steam a smaller engine (with much lower demands on coal and water) and run fewer carriages, thus saving money on fuel, wear and tear and maintenance over having to run a bigger engine with a longer train. Seems like a cracking idea to me.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yep everyone that is against Covid passports want people to die. FFS it's this kind of debate that really pisses me off.

Of course they don't want them to die. They just don't care if they do. It's not malice, it's thoughtlessness.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just want to watch my local football team.

If it's ok to go to packed indoor gigs, night clubs, theatre, cinema, public transport, Reading festival, Burnley away, holiday to Ibiza why can't we get into the Amex.

Barber has got this wrong, but I'll leave you with some of his wisdom, not mad at all;

Once inside the Amex

We advise to take care when passing others in seating areas, turn your back when you pass fellow supporters and avoid passing face-to-face.

Supporters are strongly advised to avoid hugs, handshakes and high fives, and ensure regular hand sanitisation.

Holiday to Ibiza - I just did that, you’d loath all the mandatory hurdles we had to take beforehand, in Ibiza and on return to the UK. Including pcr tests in Spain and back in the UK, despite being double vaccinated.

The Spanish are also red hot on mask wearing indoors.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
There's an obvious flaw in that quote, in the use of the word "again".

People who only have immunity through vaccination, by definition, didn't catch the disease before that point, and have a vastly improved defence against the disease without having had a potentially fatal disease to achieve it.

That’s right. So, what are you trying to argue with me about now?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep everyone that is against Covid passports want people to die. FFS it's this kind of debate that really pisses me off.

Want them to ? Genuinely don't think so.....nor have I seen anyone saying or implying that. However - potentially contributing to an increased likelihood of it happening by their (in)actions ? Probably.

I (and most people I know) are still maintaining social distance most of the time, adhering to reasonable requirements and wearing masks in confined spaces mostly to limit the spread of Covid and protect others, not ourselves - I'm reasonably fit, healthy and double jabbed so don't consider myself at any material risk so could easily adopt an 'I know my rights and demand my freedom' approach.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Holiday to Ibiza - I just did that, you’d loath all the mandatory hurdles we had to take beforehand, in Ibiza and on return to the UK. Including pcr tests in Spain and back in the UK, despite being double vaccinated.

The Spanish are also red hot on mask wearing indoors.

Bet it was worth it though, right ?

I've had two discussions today about travel testing requirements with pals (re an upcoming trip) - all agreed it's a faff, but we're still going (hopefully)

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
People who refuse to wear masks or take jabs are putting innocent people's lives at risk by doing so. They should be shamed. Just as public opinion has turned vehemently against drink-driving.

I presume go up to non-mask wearers like me and shame them to their faces.

I also presume you demand everyone should have a vaccine for flu as well, considering you’ve probably picked up flu at some point in your life, passed it on and that has lead to killing someone. You must’ve worn masks every time flu came about to, even though they don’t work.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Yes, that’s obviously what I said, isn’t it? :ffsparr:

Stop speaking such unmitigated nonsense then. I was going to say you have done the age old trick of putting up a headline with no link to an article to help your point but as I haven't got the remotest idea what you are getting at it has failed this time.

In fairness you did point out some people might get angry at your faux intellectualism and completely under deserved self confidence in knowing better than the entire global scientific community.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A lot of talk about carrying ID, covid passports, medical records and CCTV yet millions of people seem more than happy to provide their DNA to genealogy companies like ancestry.com. With major data breeches common amongst commercial companies due to negligence / incompetence I would be far more concerned about some third party having access to my DNA.

Funny old world

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
A lot of talk about carrying ID, covid passports, medical records and CCTV yet millions of people seem more than happy to provide their DNA to genealogy companies like ancestry.com. With major data breeches common amongst commercial companies due to negligence / incompetence I would be far more concerned about some third party having access to my DNA.

Funny old world

Indeed. And some people with android phones seen seen oblivious to how much date the likes of Google are harvesting.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
PB explained on the video that rules were to protect staff and supporters,
Importantly he also said these precautions were put in place to make sure The Albion wouldn’t be responsible for a spike in COVID cases which would result in more match day restrictions.
I am often a critic of PB but I think throughout the COVID nightmare the Club have done their best to protect everyone.
I guess the number of supporters who won’t attend matches due to these rules will be vastly outnumbered by those who will return as they feel safer having a few simple rules in place.
Let’s all get behind the Albion safely.

Have you seen the infection rates in Brighton currently?
There’s no way there will be nobody with COVID in the stadium on any given match day given those numbers.
My problem is that I need to provide a negative test on the day I start a holiday in October, so I’m trying very hard not to catch it before then. Attending the Amex would represent a bigger risk than I am currently taking anywhere.
What I haven’t seen is what the club will do to help me in this situation in the short term. If I am unwilling to take the risk they are expecting me to take having decided to open up to full capacity with infection rates so high, so I believe I only have the option of listing my tickets on the exchange. What if they don’t sell? I bought a season ticket expecting it to be properly safe when we were allowed in. It isn’t.
I know it’s the government who have put everyone in this situation rather than the club, but it’s really not helpful.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

I also presume you demand everyone should have a vaccine for flu as well, considering you’ve probably picked up flu at some point in your life, passed it on and that has lead to killing someone. You must’ve worn masks every time flu came about to, even though they don’t work.

Covid spread easier, carriers are more contagious for longer and it causes greater risk of serious illness. It also takes up more beds in ICU than standard flu.

Stop mugging yourself that flu and Covid are similar. You are in the minority.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There’s no way there will be nobody with COVID in the stadium on any given match day given those numbers.
My problem is that I need to provide a negative test on the day I start a holiday in October, so I’m trying very hard not to catch it before then. Attending the Amex would represent a bigger risk than I am currently taking anywhere.
What I haven’t seen is what the club will do to help me in this situation in the short term. If I am unwilling to take the risk they are expecting me to take having decided to open up to full capacity with infection rates so high, so I believe I only have the option of listing my tickets on the exchange. What if they don’t sell? I bought a season ticket expecting it to be properly safe when we were allowed in. It isn’t.
I know it’s the government who have put everyone in this situation rather than the club, but it’s really not helpful.

The club have put in place measures to limit exposure. If you want more i.e them lose more money, giving you a refund so you can go on holiday think you're barking.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It's not the club's fault we still have Covid circulating - how could they possibly ensure it is 'properly safe' ??
They've taken reasonable (IMO anyway) measures to limit the risk of spread - it's up to you if you want to take that risk. I don't perceive there is much risk sat in my seat - I'm not facing anyone and it's outdoors. I can choose to spend minimal time on the concourse, and I can wear a mask there.

I have the same issue re upcoming travel and will be careful - but there is just as much chance I'll pick it up buying a pint of milk at the co-op as at the Amex.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Stop speaking such unmitigated nonsense then. I was going to say you have done the age old trick of putting up a headline with no link to an article to help your point but as I haven't got the remotest idea what you are getting at it has failed this time.

In fairness you did point out some people might get angry at your faux intellectualism and completely under deserved self confidence in knowing better than the entire global scientific community.

When it comes to who to trust on medical and scientific advice then I find a choice between a fully qualified doctor and a bloke from Southwick with a CSE in Woodwork and a YouTube habit almost impossible to make.

Why bother with years of studying, debt and experimenting when you could literally sit in your bedroom and watch the UK's most unintentionally laughed at television channel?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Lessons learnt from dealing with COVID might be applicable e.g. jabs, masks , washing hands and social distancing. Jabs might not be as effective given that the make of the jab is guess work but I would leave that to the scientists and statisticians. Certainly better care and jabs for staff in care homes might help the situation.

I come from a generation that had BCG vaccination to combat TB, not compulsory then but everyone thought it was good both for the individual and society as a whole. Too many people think that they want to be outside society when its that society which has developed the material benefits they enjoy.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Another couple of points:

Although being double jabbed massively reduces the impact of Covid for most it will still mean they have to isolate, which will impact their family, employers and any holiday or social plans. It is still desirable to reduce it's spread as much as possible.

The Amex is next door to a University and I believe several students work at the Amex in term time. Doesn't take much of an imagination to predict a minor wave come University term start time.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
yeah, you're right my medical records will be with my GP, govt agencies etc. But, I don't feel the need to share my medical records with sport venues, pubs, theatres etc etc and have my attendance recorded and monitored at every place I visit. It's disproportionate, insidious and intrusive. There have already been many instances of misuse of data by governments, tech and businesses - this was before the extra scrutiny which has been legitimised by Covid. The vaccination programme has been a success so far - the monitoring and control of whole societies will not be. As individuals, I don't think we should be endorsing this approach

But you're not really 'sharing' your medical record.

I went last night ... a 2 second glimpse was all the chap had and all he was interested in was the name matching with my ID. Then he moved onto the next person ... and the next. How is that insidious or intrusive?

And re endorsement by individuals. I would suggest that the strongest feeling on this thread is in support of these measures ... or at least not having any real issue with them as they understand why. The protests we see are - on the whole - the people that protest anything because they are serial protestors. They are a tiny minority ... the vast majority get it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People who refuse to wear masks or take jabs are putting innocent people's lives at risk by doing so. They should be shamed. Just as public opinion has turned vehemently against drink-driving.

Good luck with that! :lolol:

My experience this weekend in the real world is the polar opposite of the sentiment of this thread.
Nottingham city centre was absolutely heaving, all the bars and clubs were packed with young people (and a few oldies) not wearing masks and funnily enough there was no shaming or screaming for a policeman.

The grumbling and finger pointing only seems to happen online :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here