Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Stop the boats

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The ruling today was at pains to point out, the scheme is not only unlawful via the ECHR, but also the United Nations, and three existing British laws.
According to Sunak, his new treaty with Rwanda will show it is a safe country. How it will do that, wasn't discussed. I'll be interested to see how a treaty on its own will make it safe, without addressing the issues which currently make it unsafe.

This is a real mess, has always been a mess, and is highly likely to be an even greater mess before they are voted out at the election.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The ruling today was at pains to point out, the scheme is not only unlawful via the ECHR, but also the United Nations, and three existing British laws.
Sadly, those International, European and British Laws have to take second place to Rishi's desperation to keep his racist MP's and his dwindling electorate on board.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
According to Sunak, his new treaty with Rwanda will show it is a safe country. How it will do that, wasn't discussed. I'll be interested to see how a treaty on its own will make it safe, without addressing the issues which currently make it unsafe.

This is a real mess, has always been a mess, and is highly likely to be an even greater mess before they are voted out at the election.
Isn’t he going to enact legislation to establish that Rwanda is a safe country?

as Private Eye might say: “well that’s alright then!”

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Worth remembering that the UK government can introduce all the laws it wants, it cannot simply say “oh and international law doesn’t apply on this one”. Anymore than I can say “I am sovereign in my own bank account, therefore I have passed a rule that I am not liable to pay my mortgage”.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

IMG_0177.jpeg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What camps? The French police destroy any camps they find. There hasn’t been a camp since Sangatte was closed.
That's not what the righties say. According to them, there are immigrants QUEUING up to get in via dingy...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Is it just me, or is Sunak moving even faster towards Fascism than Braverman was.

we don’t like what the independent Supreme Court has said, so we will bypass it, subvert it, or whatever.

just because we might negotiate a treaty that says Rwanda is a safe country doesn’t mean it is.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Is it just me, or is Sunak moving even faster towards Fascism than Braverman was.

we don’t like what the independent Supreme Court has said, so we will bypass it, subvert it, or whatever.

just because we might negotiate a treaty that says Rwanda is a safe country doesn’t mean it is.
Seems that way - disgusting (yet unsurprising), isn't it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

as i read it, the objection from Supreme Court is someone sent to Rwanda might be sent from there to the original country. if the treaty says that'll not happen under any circumstances, the objection is mitigated. seems the law is not against the policy, its against the implementation details. from how Sunak spoke, I wonder if they just want to get a flight done, then forget about it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Quick reminder when you hear any number of Tory MPs come out and claim the public want this / that / the other

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's not what the righties say. According to them, there are immigrants QUEUING up to get in via dingy...
A friend of mine, a nurse, used her annual leave, to work with Care for Calais, to provide medical help. It’s a good source to help, and read facts.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You haven't made the mistake that somehow the whole 'narcissistic orgy©Dominic Cummings - Covid inquiry' at the heart of Government stopped with Johnson, or Truss, or Johnson's second in command throughout the whole clusterf***, Sunak ?

Sunak, let's remember, had been in parliament 4 whole years before Johnson decided he was the blue-eyed boy and promoted him. His only experience of Government is in the aforementioned and unsurprisingly continuing 'narcissistic orgy'.

Johnson, Cummings, Hancock, Patel, Truss, Kwarteng, and Braverman come and go, It's funny how given any 'narcissistic orgy' Rishi always seems come out on top :lolol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

They’ve got nothing, the dog whistle gammon nonsense continues

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
as i read it, the objection from Supreme Court is someone sent to Rwanda might be sent from there to the original country. if the treaty says that'll not happen under any circumstances, the objection is mitigated. seems the law is not against the policy, its against the implementation details. from how Sunak spoke, I wonder if they just want to get a flight done, then forget about it.
The agreement with Rwanda, as it stands, is reciprocal. Rwanda has 1000s of its own refugees, mainly Congolese, so if they get 200 to Rwanda, Britain has to accept 200 of theirs.
I notice the government isn’t boasting about that to its fans.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Britain is already being criticised by the United Nations for our level of child poverty.

How did this country ever get to this?
Everyone seems to criticise this country, even the illegal immigrants who are so desperate to live here. Everyone criticises the government, the police, our councils but just sit on there arses posting crap on forums like this.

You seem to be top of the tree on this thread. Congratulations.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Everyone seems to criticise this country, even the illegal immigrants who are so desperate to live here. Everyone criticises the government, the police, our councils but just sit on there arses posting crap on forums like this.

You seem to be top of the tree on this thread. Congratulations.
Which bit of this is crap? Are you saying that the UN are wrong, and that child poverty levels in the UK are 'acceptable'? Or are you saying that the government's own figures that those living in poverty have risen are wrong - or maybe you're saying that it's not a bit crap that the numbers of people living in poverty have increased??

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Odds on him not being PM come the next general election? He seems to have haters from all sides at the moment.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Odds on him not being PM come the next general election? He seems to have haters from all sides at the moment.
The main thing in his favour is there is no obvious alternative with enough backing to topple him. Boris is gone. Braverman only has a handful of backers. Farage is hiding in the Aussie outback. The only credible alternative leader is probably Mourdant, and she’s seemingly vanished into the ether. Barring an incredible turnaround, the likelihood is the Tories will be out of power after the next election, and so why take the job now and lead them to defeat when you can wait 12 months and be the one to “lead them back to the promised land”?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here