Stop Funding Hate - Pathetic!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It is virtue signalling pure and simple. Is it going to affect your life? No, because you don't read the paper but it lets you show off your SJW credentials.

Three cheers for Saint Lily Allen of Calais.

Absolutely. The spoilt brats all over -look at me, everyone; I have got a cause.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You've got issues, Buzzer.

This is really all we need to see. Buzzer disagrees with you and so he must has issues (whatever that means). And this from someone trying to tell us that the DM preaches intolerance. It is never long until the hypocrisy surfaces, is it?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
So you would agree that the hateful DM readers and the people who love wearing their anti-DM credentials so noisily on their Facebook updates are just different sides of the same coin. Are you going to tell them or shall I?

With dander up, bit between teeth and apparent tendency for hyperbole you've extrapolated far more than my post intimated.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
With dander up, bit between teeth and apparent tendency for hyperbole you've extrapolated far more than my post intimated.
Crikey. With a glowing testimonial such as that I'm now fully qualified to get myself aboard this anti-DM bandwagon.

One quick question though - are mixed metaphors compulsory?

D

Deleted member 22389

When Polly Toynbee talks about "white supremacism" being responsible for Brexit, is that hate speech, or is it OK because a) it's in the Guardian and b} Polly is a right-thinking leftie?

Just trying to keep up-to-date with terminology.??? ( oh and FWIW I wouldn't miss the Mail it it disappeared tomorrow).

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...t-trump-whitelash-politicians-must-not-pander

These idiots are everywhere now. Wish they would kindly **** off so we can get back some common sense in this country. It seems to have got worse since Corbyn appeared on the scene.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Since the question of being a "liberal" has become an interesting strand of this thread, I'll throw in my theory, which is that being liberal, to me at least, simply means being kind, considerate of others (and their viewpoints), generous, outward looking, and basically trying to use what intelligence you have when confronted with a problem. You'd like to think that's the base point for every human being, rather than an extreme position to adopt.

Of course some people aren't kind or outward looking, and close their minds to all kinds of ideas. That's their choice, but I don't think it's fair or accurate to describe them as "the normal people" and say that the liberals are all lefties/luvvies/out of touch.

I think most folk would agree with your first para - do you mean liberal in that they value new ideas etc, or do you mean that these endearing human characteristics are the preserve of those who vote Liberal? Your second para makes little sense; who would describe people who are unkind as normal? Or are you just conveniently setting up the last statement about lefties?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I have been reading up on the Daily Mail and apparently it was Originally a newspaper for Women and in 2013 had an 54% readership of Women?

I know it's Conservative in political sense -which amazes me why i get drawn to online version of The Gaurdian.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think most folk would agree with your first para - do you mean liberal in that they value new ideas etc, or do you mean that these endearing human characteristics are the preserve of those who vote Liberal? Your second para makes little sense; who would describe people who are unkind as normal? Or are you just conveniently setting up the last statement about lefties?

With respect I think you're confusing liberals with Liberal Democrats. Liberal with a small "l" is descriptive of a certain viewpoint that exists in many people's world view, inside and outside of any particular party.

The point I'm making in my second paragraph is really just that there seems to be a suggestion in some quarters at the moment that "normal" people subscribe to the viewpoint of the Daily Mail et al and those who don't are somehow less normal. I don't think that's fair.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yep, I would agree with that actually. I don't vote Tory but I recognise that there some very decent Conservatives and in fact one of the most liberal steps this country has ever taken - the introduction of gay marriage - was the work of a Tory prime minister.

A discussion perhaps for another day is that the left-right political spectrum is probably past its sell-by date as a means of looking at political viewpoints. There have been some interesting articles on that subject since the Brexit vote.

Indeed, Cameron made positive contributions to our society especially with gay marriage. It could be argued that it is actually easier for progressive policies to be introduced when the Tories are in Government as they can build a consensus of their own supporters to reduce opposition. It's just a shame they don't do it more often !
As to definitions of Left and right I do think there is some merit in retaining the definitions. I am a bit concerned that what is replacing these definitions is 'liberal and the rest ' with liberals defining themselves as having moral superiority. Bringing the debate back to the subject of this thread i think the attack on the DM is part of this sense of 'correctness' of thought. Debate becomes polarized and aggressive when people stop debating ideas of equal merit and instead declare themselves to be right. I sense this strand of liberal intolerance of other views in the labeling of DM readers.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
With respect I think you're confusing liberals with Liberal Democrats. Liberal with a small "l" is descriptive of a certain viewpoint that exists in many people's world view, inside and outside of any particular party.

The point I'm making in my second paragraph is really just that there seems to be a suggestion in some quarters at the moment that "normal" people subscribe to the viewpoint of the Daily Mail et al and those who don't are somehow less normal. I don't think that's fair.

With equal respect, I wasn't confusing anything, as I was asking you! I am totally amazed that you could have this impression, but presume that you have not read much of this thread. By the way, I fully agree that to label one set as right and one set as wrong, is unfair and certainly inaccurate. But read through the thread - and others - and there is a constant implied theme emanating from the snooterati that those who read the DM are intolerant/thick/wacist/ etc etc.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Crikey. With a glowing testimonial such as that I'm now fully qualified to get myself aboard this anti-DM bandwagon.
Excellent!
One quick question though - are mixed metaphors compulsory?
If you're joining the gang then, yes (although I'd've thought "obligatory" rather than "compulsory" would've sat more comfortably with you) :)

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
With equal respect, I wasn't confusing anything, as I was asking you! I am totally amazed that you could have this impression, but presume that you have not read much of this thread. By the way, I fully agree that to label one set as right and one set as wrong, is unfair and certainly inaccurate. But read through the thread - and others - and there is a constant implied theme emanating from the snooterati that those who read the DM are intolerant/thick/wacist/ etc etc.

I've read the entire thread actually, since it emerged last night, which is rare for me. Quite an interesting read especially at a time when I reckon it's more important than ever for people on opposing sides of an argument to listen to points of views that differ to their own. I doubt many people will change their views but it's healthy to have a discussion, and maybe some of us are actually closer to agreement on some issues than some of the more unfriendly responses might suggest.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

It is far far deeper and more complex than just a labeling of left or right,center even...

The Right can be as extreme as the Left and almost identical too in many areas,yet at the same time complete opposite...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Who'd even heard of 'Stop Funding Hate' yesterday morning? 32 pages and rising on here and published and broadcast on media outlets both here and abroad. It's been a good 24 hours for them, whoever they are.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Read the DM comments on most news stories and you feel your so called snooterati might not be far wrong.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Who'd even heard of 'Stop Funding Hate' yesterday morning? 32 pages and rising on here and published and broadcast on media outlets both here and abroad. It's been a good 24 hours for them, whoever they are.

It's actually NSC at its best ... the only things we know unites us is our support of BHA. Our politics differ wildly, so we're likely to encounter a much broader set of arguments than we do in the Facebook/Twitter echo chamber. Quite good stuff, for the most part.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Probably the same rent a mob that turn up to any event where they can show their posters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports