Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Funding Hate - Pathetic!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
You must be too naïve for your own good, then. The intention is to drive out of business papers that express different views to those of the movement, all in the name of free speech, of course.

I've been called many things, but naïve isn't one of them.

Asking advertisers to consider their association with a paper that spouts thinly veiled racism isn't driving down a business, it's putting it out there that people have had enough and are hitting the DM where it hurts - the bottom line.

Perhaps the DM should consider the language it uses, then the Stop Funding Hate campaign wouldn't have a leg to stand on?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I've been called many things, but naïve isn't one of them.

Asking advertisers to consider their association with a paper that spouts thinly veiled racism isn't driving down a business, it's putting it out there that people have had enough and are hitting the DM where it hurts - the bottom line.

Perhaps the DM should consider the language it uses, then the Stop Funding Hate campaign wouldn't have a leg to stand on?

I am really surprised to read that -are you being totally truthful?
You say that people have had enough -what evidence do you have for such a statement? Are you saying that this group number is far greater than the readership of the three papers and that the people en masse have had enough? I think that what you mean is that some folk have had enough, and a small splinter group has decided on this tactic to try and close down the papers. The "thinly veiled racism" bit of course sounds good and lends some credence.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
You say that people have had enough -what evidence do you have for such a statement? Are you saying that this group number is far greater than the readership of the three papers and that the people en masse have had enough? I think that what you mean is that some folk have had enough, and a small splinter group has decided on this tactic to try and close down the papers. The "thinly veiled racism" bit of course sounds good and lends some credence.

I think the fact there is a movement called Stop Funding Hate, that are targeting advertisers of the DM, is proof that the people have had enough of the hate that paper spouts,

You can called it a splinter group or a pressure group or whatever you like - it's having an effect and many people are behind it,

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Look, this campaign will only work if there are enough people that agree that enough is enough. A 'small group of people' can't shut down a paper. But if enough people agree with that group, and take some action, then it may have an impact. If (as I am fairly sure will happen) most people just shrug and ignore then the papers targeted will carry on as before. However - thank you for drawing attention to the campaign on this forum. Appreciated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the fact there is a movement called Stop Funding Hate, that are targeting advertisers of the DM, is proof that the people have had enough of the hate that paper spouts,

You can called it a splinter group or a pressure group or whatever you like - it's having an effect and many people are behind it,

I'll take pressure group as it clearly is. As an aside Some of the right wing pant-pissers on this thread would have you think pressure groups have never existed before.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I'll take pressure group as it clearly is. As an aside Some of the right wing pant-pissers on this thread would have you think pressure groups have never existed before.

Indeed, Oswald Mosley was convinced that threats of withdrawing advertising by Jewish businessmen resulted in the Mail ceasing to support the British Union of Fascists during the 1930s.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Indeed, Oswald Mosley was convinced that threats of withdrawing advertising by Jewish businessmen resulted in the Mail ceasing to support the British Union of Fascists during the 1930s.

Mail and Mirror

hurrah-blackshirts2.jpg

daily-mirror-give-the-blackshirts-a-helping-hand.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But... But... But...we told everyone on Facebook and Twitter which say to vote. All my friends liked that meme I posted that said Farage was Hitler..

Its just sooooo unfair that people don't agree with me. I'm off to my safe space.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
So much virtue-signalling.

Wah, Wah! I don't like something. It mustn't be allowed to exist.
Wah wah I don't like something. So I am going to do something about and if enough people agree and do the same it may have some impact. Hardly virtue signalling.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It is virtue signalling pure and simple. Is it going to affect your life? No, because you don't read the paper but it lets you show off your SJW credentials.

Three cheers for Saint Lily Allen of Calais.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Thanks, and yes, I don't find much to commend the daily mail at all, I am worried about press freedoms in general and that is why I am sticking up for it.

Some posters think it's a good thing and fine. However it isn't individual democracy that has caused the removal of Lego as a sponsor, it's concerted political pressure. Should a relatively small number of people in a pressure group exercise such power over a newspaper? I found some of what I saw in the DM reprehensible in the past year. That does not mean this action is right, the same kind of action could then be replicated from both left wing pressure groups and right wing. That would be undesirable. This group is also pressurising the express, John Lewis and co-op. I am firmly against the politicisation of business in this way. It is incidentally different from FIFA in that the corruption at FIFA was not political in the sense that one would need to be left out right wing to oppose it.

If we could get businesses to stay out of Politics, the Tory party would die.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here