Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Could if we were winning 1- 0 and he allowed the opponents to equalise and then get a winner being pedantic is that 1 point cost as without the howler would have been a draw or 3 points dropped because the howler lets the others back in. Thankfully at the moment the saves are exceeding the errors.

But none of that happened, so why say it, I don't know.

Actually, yes I do. Anything to have a go at him even though something you presume MAY happen, DIDN'T.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Wolves goal does not bother me so much, David himself will no doubt be disappointed to concede at the near post but it was a fluke goal. Other than that I can only recall the Cardiff and Forest goals being 'howlers'. On the whole I feel Stockdale has been a good keeper for us, with a number of point saving/gaining saves under his belt. He also seems very comfortable coming for crosses, it's been a while since we have ben subjected to an errant punch. No keeper is perfect, I'm sure there are more 'howlers' to come, but even Courtois (who is brilliant) makes them for Chelsea.

Some people have to get over the fact there is no such thing as an error-free keeper.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My understanding is that, whatever else you do as a keeper, you cover your near post. At least that gives them a good chance to miss beyond the far post. He got beaten at his near post.

He's not perfect of course - no-one is - and one of the irritating aspects of the Sky-era over-analysis of everything is that goalkeeping mistakes - like referees' mistakes - tend to get over-emphasized: every keeper makes them.

But I do worry that, for all of his terrific shot-stopping, he might be neglecting the basics somewhere, just like he did vs Wolves. But he's still fairly young, hopefully he'll continue to learn.

He is absolutely NOT neglecting any 'basics'. His technical work (crosses, distribution, handling) is exemplary - by a distance the best of any Albion keeper in the last thirty years. Only Roberts comes close, IMO.

In the early part of the season he suffered in comparison to Keeley, Kuszczak and Kuipers in terms of pure reflex stops, but recently he looks every inch their match in that department too.

Honestly, the ONLY area where the is any justifiable criticism left, is decision making. He doesn't ALWAYS make the right decision on when to come (and he pretty much always errs AGAINST caution). But then no keeper in the world does.

As for the near post thing - notwithstanding the fact that the Wolves goal WAS a fluke, and faced with the same situation, he'd make exactly the same movement towards the expected cross - every keeper at every level HATES getting beat there.

#SpeaksFromPainfulExperience

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Wolves goal does not bother me so much, David himself will no doubt be disappointed to concede at the near post but it was a fluke goal. Other than that I can only recall the Cardiff and Forest goals being 'howlers'. On the whole I feel Stockdale has been a good keeper for us, with a number of point saving/gaining saves under his belt. He also seems very comfortable coming for crosses, it's been a while since we have ben subjected to an errant punch. No keeper is perfect, I'm sure there are more 'howlers' to come, but even Courtois (who is brilliant) makes them for Chelsea.

Some people have to get over the fact there is no such thing as an error-free keeper.

Broadly I'm with you on this, and I'm certainly far happier with Stockdale than TK. That said, I think he's made too many mistakes this season, and suspect that he'd agree with such an analysis. In other words, he's a good keeper, who has had -- and hopefully will have -- better seasons.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The Chelsea goalkeeper, Courtois, had a bit of a calamity moment against Hull yesterday. Much worse than any mistakes that Stockdale has made, and is probably one of the funniest goalkeeping errors I have seen. Made up for it later though, with three great saves in rapid succession.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Chelsea goalkeeper, Courtois, had a bit of a calamity moment against Hull yesterday. Much worse than any mistakes that Stockdale has made, and is probably one of the funniest goalkeeping errors I have seen. Made up for it later though, with three great saves in rapid succession.

Kind of applies to Stockdale over recent weeks (probably since the Fulham game where he made a sensational save) - but without such a calamity. Several games where he has been, or been close to, MOTM and the odd error. Hardly unusua for any keeper. Is it 6 clean sheets in last 10 games ? For a team in a relegation dogfight that's pretty damn good. If we had any kind of potency up front to convert our chances we would be barely talking about him at all. Can see him being a legend by the time he's finished with us.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Kind of applies to Stockdale over recent weeks (probably since the Fulham game where he made a sensational save) - but without such a calamity. Several games where he has been, or been close to, MOTM and the odd error. Hardly unusua for any keeper. Is it 6 clean sheets in last 10 games ? For a team in a relegation dogfight that's pretty damn good. If we had any kind of potency up front to convert our chances we would be barely talking about him at all. Can see him being a legend by the time he's finished with us.

Yep, he adds continuity in the goalkeeping dept. Gone are the days of Brezovan, loaning the likes of Steve Harper, and the temporary season to season fix of Kuz.

Stockdale feels and talks like a Brighton player and it is one position that we don't have to worry about for a few years.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But none of that happened, so why say it, I don't know.

Actually, yes I do. Anything to have a go at him even though something you presume MAY happen, DIDN'T.
.I didnt say it had. I was just answering your question of when it is possible to give away 3 points which you said couldnt happen, by giving an example. As you rightly say this has not happened he has by his mistake dropped from 3 points to 1 but equally he has earned us some points, so all is well. Adam Virgo says that he has cost more than he has earnt us but I think that after Saturday there is now very little difference, if any.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
.I didnt say it had. I was just answering your question of when it is possible to give away 3 points which you said couldnt happen, by giving an example. As you rightly say this has not happened he has by his mistake dropped from 3 points to 1 but equally he has earned us some points, so all is well. Adam Virgo says that he has cost more than he has earnt us but I think that after Saturday there is now very little difference, if any.

"3 points from one error?
That takes some doing."

Where have I asked when it would be possible?
Where have I said that it couldn't happen?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I think you missed the point.

One goalkeeping mistake can't cost a team three points.

Either you're winning (have three points in your hand, so to speak) and the error allows your opponents to level the score leaving you with one point in your hand, i.e. the error cost you TWO points, or you are drawing (have one point in your hand) and the error allows your opponents to score leaving you with no points, i.e. the error cost you ONE point (or you were losing and the error cost you no points).

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
That is the inference from that post and as I said it could lead the way back to a subsequent defeat.

I'd like to see you try to prove it in court, just like your flawed explanation of losing 3 points with one error.

Edit: Just to clarify to you in case you don't understand, it doesn't mean I'm taking you to court over it, it means you are totally wrong.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think you missed the point.

One goalkeeping mistake can't cost a team three points.

Either you're winning (have three points in your hand, so to speak) and the error allows your opponents to level the score leaving you with one point in your hand, i.e. the error cost you TWO points, or you are drawing (have one point in your hand) and the error allows your opponents to score leaving you with no points, i.e. the error cost you ONE point (or you were losing and the error cost you no points).

There is another option: a goalkeeping mistake costs you NO points.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that you are all missing the point if we were winning 1 - 0 at half time, the opponents completely being out played a mistake in the 85th minute evens it up and gives the other team renewed impetus and subsequently score another goal in time added on to win. So instead of getting 3 points as seemed most likely prior to the mistake, when well on top we finish up losing so no points. So in effect that mistake has cost us 3 points. It us arguable point that 90 mins we had 1 point so cost us 1 point but without the mistake would probably have got 3.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Give up BG.
You hate him, so you'll say anything to try to back it up.

Last edited:

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
You win as a team and lose as a team. It's as simple as that. Just because it's a goalkeeper makes it easier for fans to apportion blame. Every time a striker misses a shot, is he costing us 3 points?

As I said. Win and lose as a team.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
He is absolutely NOT neglecting any 'basics'. His technical work (crosses, distribution, handling) is exemplary - by a distance the best of any Albion keeper in the last thirty years. Only Roberts comes close, IMO.

In the early part of the season he suffered in comparison to Keeley, Kuszczak and Kuipers in terms of pure reflex stops, but recently he looks every inch their match in that department too.

Honestly, the ONLY area where the is any justifiable criticism left, is decision making. He doesn't ALWAYS make the right decision on when to come (and he pretty much always errs AGAINST caution). But then no keeper in the world does.

As for the near post thing - notwithstanding the fact that the Wolves goal WAS a fluke, and faced with the same situation, he'd make exactly the same movement towards the expected cross - every keeper at every level HATES getting beat there.

#SpeaksFromPainfulExperience
Well said. People are misunderstanding Hughton saying "David will be disappointed" after the game.

He will be disappointed because he has played brilliantly and then been beaten by a bloody fluke...!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here