Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The current popular technique of a stuttering run up to try to force the keeper to move makes it even more difficult if you rely purely on Schmeichel's method. The "blast it up the middle" penalty is also increasingly popular relying on the keeper having committed to diving. A lot of penalties these days where the penalty taker is committed to putting his laces through the ball seem likely to have been saved if the keeper had stood still but you rarely see it actually happen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Without wishing to devalue Stockdale I wonder if Hans Kray Fan Club and all the other goalkeeping experts on here were listening to Peter Schmeichel last night when questioned about the penalty save against Arsenal that he made. I quote" If a keeper saves a penalty it is all down to luck you decide which way the player will put it and hope that he doesnt hit too well and it goes the way you have gone". The view of one of the best keepers ever.

You'll never save a perfectly hit penalty, but to say any save is just down to luck is absolute rubbish. Doing your research is not down to luck. Timing your dive so as to have a chance of reaching it, but not committing too early, is not down to luck. Having the athletic prowess to dive right across to the post is not down to luck. Having a strong enough hand / wrist to keep out a well struck shot, once you do reach it, is not down to luck. So, yes, goalkeeping legend or otherwise, he's wrong.

For examples, look at Stockdale's save v Birmingham, then Kusczcak's attempt v Bournemouth last week. Both had the 'luck' to guess the right way, but only one was saved - and that was the one FAR better hit. DS saved his because he was more athletic and had a good strong hand, whereas TK fell towards his like a sack of potatoes.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Having played in goal for many years (some of those at a decent level) I can honestly say that I saved more than I conceded.
How?
Wait until the ****ing ball has been kicked.
Ok, you won't save it if it's struck properly, but thats true even if you do dive the right way.
Dive the wrong way and you've NO chance.
Rocket science it ain't!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't expect anything less from one of the greatest keepers in the modern era.

PS has earned the right to be modest, and lets face it he's no Zlatan is he?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Having played in goal for many years (some of those at a decent level) I can honestly say that I saved more than I conceded.
How?
Ok, you won't save it if it's struck properly, but thats true even if you do dive the right way.
Rocket science it ain't!

Absolutely spot on......

Players do not 100% strike the ball perfectly, if you follow it, you might get a percentage that don't hit the corner of the net or the join between post and cross-bar

phoenix

May 18, 2009
How?
Rocket science it ain't!

So what happens when you dive the wrong way, and catch the ball with your trailing leg (normally in the middle of the goal) ? Which is not that rare!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Far better recently. Still needs to keep CONSISTENCY to get close to being considered alongside Kusz, but the past few games I have seen he has been very good indeed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He has improved tremendously with his allround game recently and if he continues could well push TK as our best ever.

Indeed. He's slowly getting that presence and command of his box that Kusz had. Needs to tell Greer to eff off a few times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is exactly what I said when he saved the Caddis penalty but Mr know it all but really know nothing slated me as usual.
But that's not quite all.
You were incredibly dismissive of Stockdale's save(s)

Just because the 'perfect' penalty can't be saved, that doesn't me anything other than perfection that is missed is the fault of the taker.

Stockdale did everything right esp his solid hand/wrist/arm to deny a plenty good enough penalty.
To that end he deserves more credit for the save than he was given at the time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I said that he mishit the penalty and Paul Caddis said the same to Brum fans. However it was a valuable save due to the importance and timning of it but dont lets get carried away and expect him to save every one he faces. No doubt Callum Wilson will con the ref for one when we play AFCB. He nearly did it against Fulham but the ref gave a kick on the edge of the box, from which they scored.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I said that he mishit the penalty and Paul Caddis said the same to Brum fans. However it was a valuable save due to the importance and timning of it but dont lets get carried away and expect him to save every one he faces. No doubt Callum Wilson will con the ref for one when we play AFCB. He nearly did it against Fulham but the ref gave a kick on the edge of the box, from which they scored.
This is getting sillier by the minute, who the hell (other than you) is even alluding to that.

Of course Caddis is going to say what the Brum fans want to here.
He wouldn't have 'mishit' it had Stockdale gone the wrong way.
He wouldn't have 'mishit' it had Stockdale not been strong enough.

But DS was up to the task and pulled off a very good save, even before you add the context of the game into the equation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would it be fattist to suggest he would be even better if he wasn't so Lardy?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I listened to Stockers interview after the save he said that Caddis generally hit his penalty kicks to the keepers left although on his previous penalty he went right, Stockdale guessed that he would put it exactly where he did that is skill,luck,judgement and great keeping ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here