Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale to Chelsea?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And this is the key part. A keeper with his particular skill set are rarer than rocking horse excrement.
Sure over the years we've had keepers who were excellent shot stoppers but their distribution was also questionable. For our style of play the keeper has to be comfortable with the ball at his feet.

A keeper who can marry the two is not easy to find, as even Pep G with Man City's millions has found.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
John Ruddy is being released by Norwich.

I'd be shocked and stunned if he's not a Brighton player next season.

Let's hope not. Lost his way badly at Norwich, including problems off the field, couldn't get in the team even when their other 'keeper was hopeless and plays in the defence which, bar the incomparably out of their depth Rotherham, has conceded more goals than anyone else in the Championship this season. Not exactly a glowing CV any more!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Only end of last week that Mail was claiming new deal at Brighton: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ockdale-expected-sign-contract-extension.html

LOL are you suggesting that these stories just come out of some sort of tombola of news.

"Here we go, for the first drum ..... and we've pulled out, Stockdale, Brighton.
Moving onto the second drum ...... ooohh, we've got, New Club interested.
So, we skip drum 3 for length of new contract at existing club, and go to the last drum to see who we have showing interest ...... yeah keep rummaging around there aren't many teams in this one, no-one reads it unless it's a big club. Got one, it's Chelsea."

There we go, we have todays story.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are we suggesting that the Finn is not good enough to step up? I have been impressed with him

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Are we suggesting that the Finn is not good enough to step up? I have been impressed with him

It's easy to cultivate a good reputation without having to kick a ball. I liked what I saw in the one league game this season, and the cup games which were relatively untested. But being a Premier League goalkeeper? I've not seen enough to judge one way or the other, none of us have.

Stockdale is a Premier League capable goalkeeper in my opinion, he's no Schmeichel or De Gea, but he's a good solid goalkeeper who could make the sort of impact that Tom Heaton has done. I'd like to keep him, but if he chooses to go to Chelsea or West Ham, I think it's fair enough but it would be a shame. He would play every game here, I'm sure.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Don't understand why you would want to be a number 2 at his age

It's sort of undserstandable of you are 22/23 for a couple of years as you have another 10 years plus.

He's he not confident of his ability? Just chasing the money?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
LOL are you suggesting that these stories just come out of some sort of tombola of news.

"Here we go, for the first drum ..... and we've pulled out, Stockdale, Brighton.
Moving onto the second drum ...... ooohh, we've got, New Club interested.
So, we skip drum 3 for length of new contract at existing club, and go to the last drum to see who we have showing interest ...... yeah keep rummaging around there aren't many teams in this one, no-one reads it unless it's a big club. Got one, it's Chelsea."

There we go, we have todays story.

Your choice of words, not mine. But yes, I am slightly puzzled as to why a piece of negative news from one rag is being considered as gospel on here while a piece of positive news from an equally unreliable source is ignored.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Begovic went for the money when he left Stoke, been there a few years and now he's had a stint at Chelsea and earnt millions, wants to be No1 again.
Can see Stockdale going down the same route. Just imagine it's a 2 year deal from Chelsea on £80kpw, you'd go knowing that in 2 years your still young enough to be a top keeper, and end up at Leeds to end your career. Knowing that you've secured your families future.

Talking of Begovic, I know the talk is of him going to Bournemouth, but wouldn't we be interested? Top keeper.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Begovic went for the money when he left Stoke, been there a few years and now he's had a stint at Chelsea and earnt millions, wants to be No1 again.
Can see Stockdale going down the same route. Just imagine it's a 2 year deal from Chelsea on £80kpw, you'd go knowing that in 2 years your still young enough to be a top keeper, and end up at Leeds to end your career. Knowing that you've secured your families future.

Talking of Begovic, I know the talk is of him going to Bournemouth, but wouldn't we be interested? Top keeper.
Not forgetting that Cech also warmed the bench for a while. Slightly different as he was off for first team football at a pretty early opportunity but still.....

It's different for a keeper than for any other position.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Are you honestly telling me you wouldn't move to a MUCH better job, for a MUCH better company, on QUADRUPLE your wages because your current company love you, and because it would be much harder? That's incredibly unambitious, and footballers are ambitious people, which is partly how they've got to where they've got to in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very limited definition of ambition that.
I have moved to take jobs that are lower pay than those I have left. And I have stayed in jobs when I could get more elsewhere.
In both cases because i saw opportunity to achieve things that were worthwhile and because I felt there was more involved in the decision than money

Caveat of course being that I already earned decent amounts, so was not in a position of risking a roof over my head or food for my children. just meant our holidays were sligthty less exotic. I suspect Stockdale will not be poor whatever decision he takes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
casbom;7923424 Talking of Begovic said:
We might be interested but we can't match what Bournemouth offer players apparently

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Don't understand why you would want to be a number 2 at his age

It's sort of undserstandable of you are 22/23 for a couple of years as you have another 10 years plus.

He's he not confident of his ability? Just chasing the money?
Or maybe he is so confident in his ability and so incredibly ambitious that he thinks he can make a genuine case for being first choice at Chelsea and doesn't want to miss the opportunity to show this...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
A very limited definition of ambition that.
I have moved to take jobs that are lower pay than those I have left. And I have stayed in jobs when I could get more elsewhere.
In both cases because i saw opportunity to achieve things that were worthwhile and because I felt there was more involved in the decision than money

Caveat of course being that I already earned decent amounts, so was not in a position of risking a roof over my head or food for my children. just meant our holidays were sligthty less exotic. I suspect Stockdale will not be poor whatever decision he takes.

Not really. If he wants to go as high as he can possibly go, then there is no contest between Chelsea and Brighton. None at all. He could achieve way more at Chelsea than he ever could with us.

Does anyone on here seriously, truly believe, that if any player has the option of us or Chelsea, that they would chose us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here