Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale to Chelsea?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can't see it. Maybe that's naivety or something but I just can't see Stockers leaving a club he's loved at to go sit on the bench even if he's offered a wedge.

Are you honestly telling me you wouldn't move to a MUCH better job, for a MUCH better company, on QUADRUPLE your wages because your current company love you, and because it would be much harder? That's incredibly unambitious, and footballers are ambitious people, which is partly how they've got to where they've got to in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
if Stockdale goes it will be because CH and TB are prepared to let him go. I've no evidence but I don't think CH rates Stockdale as a PL quality keeper, and CH always builds his teams from the back. If Stockdale goes, it'll be exciting to see who we get in his place

If he goes, it will be because he is out of contract this summer and Chelsea would offer him much more money, probably, than we could.

I hope he doesn't go, and I see no evidence that CH doesn't rate him. My impression would be exactly the opposite.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If Stockdale goes then would the club have the guts to do a Jordan Pickford and play Walton next year? They're contemporaries in the England set up and Pickford has probably saved 25% of Sunderland's points.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Are you honestly telling me you wouldn't move to a MUCH better job, for a MUCH better company, on QUADRUPLE your wages because your current company love you, and because it would be much harder? That's incredibly unambitious, and footballers are ambitious people, which is partly how they've got to where they've got to in the first place.

If this new role didn't involve much work then I'd honestly turn it down. I like to earn my living, not have it gifted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Newcastle and Crystal Palace want to sign Burnley goalkeeper Tom Heaton, 31, but would have to pay up to £15m for the player. (Sun)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Stockdale goes then would the club have the guts to do a Jordan Pickford and play Walton next year? They're contemporaries in the England set up and Pickford has probably saved 25% of Sunderland's points.

Don't know how that would pan out, but I'd certainly support the policy all the way, come what may. Also, Maenpaa is a pretty decent keeper - yes, I know he's out of contract, but no reason he couldn't sign another one - at least Chelsea aren't after him!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If this new role didn't involve much work then I'd honestly turn it down. I like to earn my living, not have it gifted.

How the hell could it not involve much work? Stockdale is first choice here, he's the first name on the team sheet. At Chelsea he would have to work harder than he ever has done before, to try to make an impact. It would be the hardest position of his career. How would that be having it 'gifted' to him?

Sometimes I think people think footballers just sit around all week counting their money, and then turn up and play 90 minutes on a Saturday and then chill out until the next game. I bet you these guys work harder than 80% of NSC do, and have put way more effort and determination into their careers than most people in this country have.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
How the hell could it not involve much work? Stockdale is first choice here, he's the first name on the team sheet. At Chelsea he would have to work harder than he ever has done before, to try to make an impact. It would be the hardest positing of his career. How would that be having it 'gifted' to him?

Sometimes I think people think footballers just sit around all week counting their money, and then turn up and play 90 minutes on a Saturday and then chill out until the next game. I bet you these guys work harder than 80% of NSC do, and have put way more effort and determination into their careers than most people have.

Not really what I meant. I'm well aware of what footballers go through every week to fight for that spot on the team. All I mean is that Stockers would largely be warming their bench so wouldn't be seeing much game time thus "not much work". I can see why he would go. I just hope to hell he doesn't.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not really what I meant. I'm well aware of what footballers go through every week to fight for that spot on the team. All I mean is that Stockers would largely be warming their bench so wouldn't be seeing much game time thus "not much work". I can see why he would go. I just hope to hell he doesn't.

But he won't think he is going there to warm the bench. He'd be going there to better himself and test himself against the best, and try to become a top goalkeeper for a top team, and be the. Eat he can possibly be. To turn down a role like that would be completely unambitious. If they want him, he'll go. Simple as that, and good luck to him.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
John Ruddy is being released by Norwich.

I'd be shocked and stunned if he's not a Brighton player next season.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
John Ruddy is being released by Norwich.

I'd be shocked and stunned if he's not a Brighton player next season.

This makes complete sense, unless he and CH don't get on. He won't cost owt, won't be on stupid money and won't expect a long contract.

Defo not good enough for first choice though.

He would be at best a good second choice if we keep Stockdale and Walton out on loan again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think we would have a problem filling Stockdales boots, if he takes another offer. I think there are many decent goalies that would love first team Premier league football.

What about Joe Hart???

Filling his GLOVES will be fairly straightforward. Filling his BOOTS much less so. Keepers with Stockdale's level of distribution are pretty rare.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
He's OUT OF CONTRACT. That's kind of the point.

Oooopssss sorry I never realised that.....thought he had a year left. That changes things for sure, he's off and who can blame him at his age. Finish his career at the top with a chance to play a few games at the highest level and financial security for his family or be in a relegation battle on less than half the wages. I think I would go would you? Where's the poll?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If true, i'd quite like us to look at Kieren Westwood at Sheffield Wednesday. On the basis they don't win the play offs...

Seagull Mags

Aug 18, 2016
One of the biggest things we would miss, is his personality... He is a team player, gives confidence to the defence and seems to be well liked by the entire squad and I think they would be big boots to fill if he does go...!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Filling his GLOVES will be fairly straightforward. Filling his BOOTS much less so. Keepers with Stockdale's level of distribution are pretty rare.

And this is the key part. A keeper with his particular skill set are rarer than rocking horse excrement.
Sure over the years we've had keepers who were excellent shot stoppers but their distribution was also questionable. For our style of play the keeper has to be comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here