Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewarding which cost me the game on sat.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Unfortunatley the heavy handed stwearding is not new. I went to a evening game about 7-8 years ago when I was at Varndean college I had taken an exam that afternoon and therefore took a pen with me which I had in my pocket. I was searched at the gate and had the pen seized as it was deemed to be an offensive weapon.

And rightly so.

Don't you know that the pen is mightier than the sword? :lol:

Welcome to the mad house. Hope you have been searched before you entered and leave your brains behind.

:albion2:

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
NMH, can you confirm on what grounds stewards can ask anyone their age.

It must have been included in your training so was this a legitimate question for someone with a adult ticket?

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
NMH, can you confirm on what grounds stewards can ask anyone their age.

It must have been included in your training so was this a legitimate question for someone with a adult ticket?

I'll answer that slowhand.

We can ask someone their age if when at the turnstile the ticket belongs to a under 16 and the person in possesion of it appears to be over 16.:thumbsup:

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes

We can ask someone their age if when at the turnstile the ticket belongs to a under 16 and the person in possesion of it appears to be over 16.:thumbsup:

Thanks for that.

So it would appear there was no legitimate reason for the age question, and I must admit on the face of it that I too may have got upset in similar circumstances.

Well Truth, with a name like yours you obviously know the truth about whether he was repeatedly warned, if he used bad language after being warned...etc.

Do you honestly believe stewards just selected a random bloke and decided "right, I want to throw that one out"?
If it helps your answer, from an 'insider'; I've never heard about that happening, and it wouldn't make sense. ???

Well in thirty years of away travel, I have seen that happen loads of times..

Par example - When we last played at Sunderland (2005?) all the Sunderland fans were contunally standing in their areas with none of their stewards doing anythiung about it. The stewards in the away ened were constantlt wading into BHA fans trying to pull them out of their area as they had to stand to try and see thegame because so many were standing at the front of the enclosure. I was threatened with eviction when I protested to a steward wo had just rammed his fat arse into my face (I was sitting and he was standing) while attempting to eject a standing BHA fan from the middle of arow of seats

Does that also happen if they are in apossession of a concession (ie an OAP) ticket?

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Thanks for that.

So it would appear there was no legitimate reason for the age question, and I must admit on the face of it that I too may have got upset in similar circumstances.

I to would be pissed if it happened to me.If this happens to anyone else you have a right to take the stewards jacket no as we sign in with our names against jacket no's and report it to the club.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well Truth, with a name like yours you obviously know the truth about whether he was repeatedly warned, if he used bad language after being warned...etc.

Do you honestly believe stewards just selected a random bloke and decided "right, I want to throw that one out"?
If it helps your answer, from an 'insider'; I've never heard about that happening, and it wouldn't make sense. ???

I've seen it happen too, a few years ago at Barnet.

There was a bit of trouble down the front of the stand, due to too many people trying to get through a small gap I seem to recall.
'
Anyway - there was a bit of "banter" from the crowd, along the lines of "you don't know what you are doing etc..." although I wasn't a part of it.

The strategy to control the situation appeared to be to evict random people from the crowd as if to say, if you don't behave yourselves this could happen to you too.

Me and my brother were standing right at the back and had been talking to this guy for a while. He was suddenly thrown out on the basis that he had "been throwing coins".

One of the two bizarre things I've seen at a football match, the other was something similar at QPR.

Of course we all have different interpretations of events, but I think my general senses are good enough to realise that someone standing next to me (who I had been talking to for half an hour) hadn't managed to throw a coin without me noticing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It seems to me that certain stewards need to be reminded firmly before every single game that they are there PURELY to SERVE. Not to rule over people or find excuses to exert authority.

If someone is acting drunk and/or disorderly then throw them out, absolutely. But a huge percentage of these stories revolve around regular blokes, being REGULAR, and coming up against trouble from overzealous stewards looking for a reason to act, where there isn't any.

revolutionary

Feb 2, 2009
stewards are out of control

if dick knight wonders why lots of us no longer go to withdean, then he need look no further than the control freaks who are employed as stewards. the simple fact is we are paying customers not people who are viewed as guilty of something unless proven innocent. please dick do something, the withdean is hardly the wild west!

Geordie Gull

Jun 12, 2007
I got frisked by a nice lady steward towards the end of last season, I just had a T shirt and jeans on, Im sure she just fancied a feely. I would recomend it to anyone best time I had at the withdean all year!!!:D:D

Geordie Gull.

What a Bobby Dazzler..

Jan 30, 2008

There was a bit of trouble down the front of the stand, due to too many people trying to get through a small gap I seem to recall.
'
Anyway - there was a bit of "banter" from the crowd, along the lines of "you don't know what you are doing etc..." although I wasn't a part of it.

The strategy to control the situation appeared to be to evict random people from the crowd as if to say, if you don't behave yourselves this could happen to you too.

Me and my brother were standing right at the back and had been talking to this guy for a while. He was suddenly thrown out on the basis that he had "been throwing coins".

One of the two bizarre things I've seen at a football match, the other was something similar at QPR.

Of course we all have different interpretations of events, but I think my general senses are good enough to realise that someone standing next to me (who I had been talking to for half an hour) hadn't managed to throw a coin without me noticing.
your mixing with the wrong people!!

'

To be fair, the stewarding you mention - albeit mistaking identity - was done to protect members of the public audience. That IS one of the important things they are there for, and if coins were being thrown then that would explain their intent even though they got it wrong.
There is one member of the South stand audience who lost an eye to a coin thrown at a match in Turkey, and I bet he wished that stewards had been ahead of the situation in seeking out missile-throwers - and at least making their presence felt in the Turkish crowd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here