Stewarding which cost me the game on sat.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Do you think that perhaps he was acting poorly before he was asked his age?

What has his behavior got to do with how old he is? The only possible reason I can think you'd need to know someones age is if they were trying to enter the ground with a concession ticket. Did you ask his height, weight, inside leg measurement as well?

If the guy was acting up and you didn't want him the ground then his age is completely irrelevant.

Personally, I have never had to ask any fan their age - but then most have acted theirs. There was one occasion I suppose, where a couple of 40year-old were saying "look, that's one of those that stops us from smoking" and pointing at me, for which I found them somewhat immature and pointless. Most people comport themselves well, and with normal behaviour at a football match (even when they are giving the dugout some verbal).

So, to underline the point - people who do NOT act well when in this environment, stand out. Wouldn't you agree with that scenario?

To an extent yes I would, but I would also suggest jumped up little berks in orange coats who get above their station because they have a little bit of power also do nothing to help the situation. By insisting on knowing someones age sounds to me like it was the latter that wound the fella up to the point where he might have done something or said something that got him refused entry into the ground.

A friend of mine was refused entry in Reading a few seasons back. His crime, they didn't let him into Swindon for the play off game because they thought he was drunk that day. Because it was the same security company and the fact he is quite recognizable was enough ammo they needed to refuse him entry despite the game being 3 or 4 months later. I pointed out how ridiculous they were being without swearing or raising my voice and was told that I couldn't enter the ground either. We went and sat in the hotel bar and drank for the entire game. As a visiting fan do you think we are more capable of causing trouble a) in the ground with the rest of the visiting fans or b) in a home only drinking establishment??

Now, since you feel this outlook doesn't deserve respect, how would you feel if a person acting badly were seated right next to you all match?

"steward....can you please take care of this situation I'm having with an idiot next to me...."
Not too far fetched, that.

I gave up going to Withdean because I seemed to be sat next to a complete buffoon every week. People swear, it's a football match not the ballet. People want to sing, shout and abuse people, it's what football is about.

I've got no interest in any of that any more, but I wouldn't start moaning like a little bitch if someone called the referee/player/manager/chairman a **** or similar. They paid their money they are entitled to their opinion as much as I am.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What so you can prove how the minority spoil it for the majority? :lol:
Actually i was thinking more in line with a good game of scrabble,honest.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
When I was waiting outside the stadium only a few minutes before the match I noticed a fan who looked in his twenties asking a steward why he needed to give his age, as I was still waiting for my mate who had my ticket i thought I'd give this strange incident a nose and got close up.
The steward refused to answer his question (which he has every right to know) in a very rude manor. The steward seemed to be really trying his best to wind him up, skidmarks (if it was him) then demanded the steward to explain this to a police officer which i thought was fair enough considering the reasons for him being denied entry and the authority these stewards really have. The steward called over more stewards, it was unbelievable what i saw, he had his ticket taken from him and was told he wasn't getting it back, Skidmarks was then intimadatingly surrounded by the stewards and its seemed he must of given in and given them his age, I noticed he recievd a very thorough search compared to everyone else entering (like he was entering a south american prison) and was finnally let through, He looked really annoyed about what had just happened to him and it looked like he said he would be reporting the steward whilst pointing his finger at him.
The 3 stewards instantly got him, had his arm behind his back and was taken away from the entrance like he had assulted someone or was causing a problem. To me it really looked like he was targetted especially as it seemed all he wanted was to get into the ground hence that the game had just started.
I personally think the majority of stewards are very nice people and very friendly, i wouldn't want Dick to sack eveyone of the stewards who attend the Withdean but I do think there are a minority of stewards who are overstepping the line and need punishment, what I wittnessed on sat was a steward causing problems for a fan not a hooligan.

Whatever reason the stewards have for not letting him in it looked very clearly like he was the victim and he had no right to be refused, he looked very wound up but to be fair I would of it that had been me.
Skidmarks don't let these stewards ruin your experience of the Albion i'm sure if the club were informed of how you were treated you would recieve support.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
But they wouldn't have dared do it to you. Everyone knows the stewards can't (man)handle the truth.

I'm here all week. Tell your friends.

I wish, especially after what happened to me after the Man City game

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Did anyone see the fan get evicted from the ground for standing on sat? again it was a ridiculous situation where all the stewards needed to do was ask the fan to sit down, instead they just went straight in there got him and walked him out like an animal without any co-operation, same old, same old.

Did anyone see the fan get evicted from the ground for standing on sat? again it was a ridiculous situation where all the stewards needed to do was ask the fan to sit down, instead they just went straight in there got him and walked him out like an animal without any co-operation, same old, same old.

Well Truth, with a name like yours you obviously know the truth about whether he was repeatedly warned, if he used bad language after being warned...etc.

Do you honestly believe stewards just selected a random bloke and decided "right, I want to throw that one out"?
If it helps your answer, from an 'insider'; I've never heard about that happening, and it wouldn't make sense. ???

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Mate, i can understand your frustration, i was their when they were removing you frm the ground. I heard them saying you claimed they had touched your dick, but to be quite honest you were putting up quite a bit of a fight with them, struggling, in fast movements saying you cant to this. Were you by any chance a tad drunk? :S

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Well Truth, with a name like yours you obviously know the truth about whether he was repeatedly warned, if he used bad language after being warned...etc.

Do you honestly believe stewards just selected a random bloke and decided "right, I want to throw that one out"?
If it helps your answer, from an 'insider'; I've never heard about that happening, and it wouldn't make sense. ???

He never used bad language I heard it all, he was refusing to give his age. Why was he being asked his age was what came out of his mouth.
you say you've never heard about that happening but you admitt you were'nt even there!
Why would a fan on his own entering a stadium which has cost him £25 just start swearing? I saw it all and he got angry with how he was treated when denied entry over his age not because he decided to, the stewards engnited the whole situation.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
On what grounds can the stewards ask how old you are?

I can understand if you are trying to get in on a child ticket but other than that?

Perhaps they were checking that he was old enough to watch the horror show that followed!!

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Mate, i can understand your frustration, i was their when they were removing you frm the ground. I heard them saying you claimed they had touched your dick, but to be quite honest you were putting up quite a bit of a fight with them, struggling, in fast movements saying you cant to this. Were you by any chance a tad drunk? :S

Do you not think the stewards were using the dick touching in their defence?
It sounded more like he threatend the steward he was to report him for how he'd just been treated, why would he need to claim he'd been touched in the wrong area?, the way he was treated was enough for him to report something . The power trip can also bring about lies, authority can leave some people thinking their word will always be respected better than anyone lower, in this case the steward has obviously got his excuses thought up with, first it was skidmarks age, now it's skidmarks claims. Sound a bit fishy?

Last edited:

jay

Feb 16, 2009
There is absolutly no reason to ask anybody their age unless the ticket is under 16 and the owner of it appears to be over 16.If this incident is true then contact the club and express your displeasure.

Or if they look under 18 (doesn't matter if you are 30 and look 15). I am lead to believe they are not allowed to search anyone under 18 without an adult present.

Any steward who wishes to search somebody should ask for your permission, I know we put our arms up, which is saying yeah okay search, but they should really ask.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Or if they look under 18 (doesn't matter if you are 30 and look 15). I am lead to believe they are not allowed to search anyone under 18 without an adult present.

Any steward who wishes to search somebody should ask for your permission, I know we put our arms up, which is saying yeah okay search, but they should really ask.

You are correct.:thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I always open my rucksack ready for inspection at away matches and the stewards are usually friendly and exchange a few pleasantries. I normally have small plastic bottles of Pepsi Max in the rucksack and when I explain they are for Russ who is diabetic there is no problem. At Hartlepool the steward told me I couldn't take the bottles into the ground unless the tops were removed and I said that the bottles needed to be intact for the journey home in case of a hypo , so he called over the Head Steward who said it was a ground regulation. When I mention the Disability Discrimination Act he said I could leave the bottles at the snack bar and pick them up after the match. I went over to the snack bar with the steward who said it was pointless leaving them there and to keep them in the rucksack , so top marks to him for using discretion. Back in the 70's you were always searched by OB at the North Stand turnstiles and occasionally a 2nd search at the top of the steps by CID.

kju790

Jan 20, 2009
Unfortunatley the heavy handed stwearding is not new. I went to a evening game about 7-8 years ago when I was at Varndean college I had taken an exam that afternoon and therefore took a pen with me which I had in my pocket. I was searched at the gate and had the pen seized as it was deemed to be an offensive weapon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports