Stevie G

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I really don't get the Terry comments. I can only imagine that winning a couple of headers, tackles and a clearance off the line is the sole purpose of a centre half on the football pitch. His distribution was poor, at 80% one of the worst in the team. His movement is also a major concern, and so far he is being done for pace so regularly I even thought the ref was quicker than him last night. If that performance is honestly awesome, then I must have completely different aspirations for what a quality centre half can do. He did okay, despite his failings, he does put his body on the line, and there is no doubt he plays 110%, but 'awesome'? honestly, if Terry was awesome then there aren't adjectives that exist for when Moore, Beckenbauer, Baresi, Koeman and the like played at centre back.

Decent game, yes, awesome, definitely not.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Commendable though it is, I wonder if there will be some regret that he never left Liverpool to really become that world renowned superstar that he might of if he did.

He is a God on Merseyside and his career has been fantastic, but I just wonder ....

If he had gone to Chelsea at that time, week in week out with Lampard, how much better would the England midfeild been ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gerrard was magnificent, Terry our second best player.

Last night, Gerrard did what he normally gets slaughtered for - picking the ball up off the centre half's toes and pinging it 40 yards out wide. The thing is, he found his target every time last night. The problem is that when he doesn't find his target, we lose the ball and he has caused our team to lose it's shape, so I hope he doesn't do that against Italy when we will need to be disciplined, maintain our shape, and not defend too deeply (as we did against France) in order to have a chance.

Terry in particular has surprised me - he's barely put a foot wrong all tournament. I thought he'd be a total liability, and still have a nagging doubt that he'll be our achiles heel if we ever have to play Spain.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Break the bank and sign him up. Awesome performance. He really is a bloody good player. The look on his face and self admonishment when he made one bad pass just shows how much he wants to win.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Even the Dutch TV commentator was saying great things about Gerrard last night. At one point he came out with:

"The only thing wrong with Gerrard is he isn't Dutch."

Which is as high as praise gets for a foreigner when coming from a Dutch mouth...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
But if Lampard didn't get injured then Gerrard would have been able to play in the advanced position with Lampard playing more deeper.

For England I think we are better with Gerrard playing a little deeper as nobody in the team can ping a pass as well as him, leave the running to Young, Welbeck, Milner, Walcott and the Ox.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports