Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steven Gerrard and Liverpool.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Plastics in this instance is a derogatory term for all the irritating fans of Liverpool I have met over the years (of which there are many) who I can’t have a decent conversation with about football and have a dislike for. As an example, I was at a wedding when we lost 5-0 to Palace. I had the misfortune to be sat on a table of Liverpool fans who had gone top that day. None of them had any knowledge of football beyond Manchester or Liverpool, None of them were from the area (Oh, I support Liverpool because of my aunties favourite cat was called King Kenny) and all of them were twats. They simply couldn’t understand supporting your local team and all were Rupert Murdoch’s love children who can't understand what losing 5-0 to your bitterest rivals can be like because they have never had any emotional investment in the team. There have been many more people I’ve met over the years like this and each time it just adds to the negative column.

To counter that, one of the most knowledgeable football conversations I used to have at work were with a Man Utd season ticket holder (From Manchester). Similarly, I have rarely encountered many Man Utd supporters jumping on the bandwagon, although we all know there are loads. As a consequence, I’ve never felt any real dislike for Man Utd and I even admit to jumping out of my seat on THAT night in Barcelona when they went 2-1 in front.

I appreciate your point, that its not Liverpool fault for these reasons but then intense dislikes rarely are rational. I’ve always wanted to punch Robbie Williams but I can’t tell you why.

My view of Liverpool as a club and as a set of supporters was radically changed when I went to see my home town team Havant & Waterlooville play them in the FA Cup in '07. Not an empty seat in the place. The fans took the non-league team seriously and with great respect. It was truly an amazing day out. The Kop sang out 'Havant and Waterlooville' at full voice at the end (they hadn't left in droves before the final whistle) in tribute to how well the non-leaguers had performed. They were about as far away from a plastic club as you could imagine that day. They were just a football club playing another football club.

I can't disagree with your point about Robbie Williams though...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm a lifelong plastic Liverpool fan and an Albion JCL, so I'm a bad person on both counts. It started when I was about 7 when I first became interested in football and has continued since (40 years) - my earliest recollections are listening intently to European matches on the radio in the early 70s. I have only seen them play a couple of times. Obviously because of this I absolutely do have a dislike of United. When my lad became interested in football we started watching our 'local' (5 mins walk away) team regularly and we both often still do

I would also happily punch Robbie Williams in the face for no specific reason I can think of.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It most certainly would! And why shouldn't it ? Though maybe not the most likeable of chappies, he is the leagues top scorer.
Only giving the winners medals to the nicest bunch of guys, even if they are talentless seems a bit bizarre surely. ???

only that the gist of this thread is that Gerrard deserves a winners middle because of his character.

I suppose you could form an argument that Liverpool wouldn't have won it without Suarez cheating; or that they wouldn't have won it if he had been properly punished for his cheating, e.g. his dive on Sunday.

But the fact of the matter is that Suarez is proving that cheaters prosper. obviously not the first.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
only that the gist of this thread is that Gerrard deserves a winners middle because of his character.

I suppose you could form an argument that Liverpool wouldn't have won it without Suarez cheating; or that they wouldn't have won it if he had been properly punished for his cheating, e.g. his dive on Sunday.

But the fact of the matter is that Suarez is proving that cheaters prosper. obviously not the first.

Ah when will the Suarez hatred end? Who would you rather win it, Nasri or half of Chelsea who dive and cheat? Suarez didn't dive in the City game, according to the MOTD2 pundits. One free kick, one penalty. I believe he went down easily but both were fouls.
I find Suarez an amazing player to watch and he fully deserves player of the year (just ahead of Hazard) and the winners medal. I hope he and Liverpool get it, they've made the Premiership interesting this year.

I can't stand Ronaldo and his tantrums but I know he's a great player, but at the moment Suarez is probably the best in the world.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I even admit to jumping out of my seat on THAT night in Barcelona when they went 2-1 in front.

Same here, to hurl abuse a tthe tv and leave the bar.

Moonie

Jan 10, 2004
Personally I would love Steven Gerrard to get a pl winners medal. Steve took time out to visit my best friends dying 10 year old nephew at Chase hispice. He was dying from a rare cancer. He has since helped the family raise money and awareness and I for one will always hold him in high regard. Top man:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here