Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steven Gerrard and Liverpool.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'd rather Liverpool didn't win the title as their fans will be utterly unbearable (or at least the ones I know will be).

If it did happen, I'd probably feel more than a bit sorry for Jamie Carragher. Far less eye-catching than Gerrard but there's no denying he has been just as important for them over the years, would be a shame for him to miss the medal by one season.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have to say I’m split on the issue. On the one hand, I like the way Liverpool play, the way Rogers has managed the team and their comparative lack of wealth against the Russian gangsters and Middle Eastern oil barrens. I quite grudgingly like Suarez as he reminds me of an old school South American player.

On the other, I have a built in dislike for Liverpool FC. I hate the 30/ 40 yr old plastic fans who can’t find the place on a map, I hate the washing of hands for Heysel, I hate You’ll never walk alone and the way even opposition fans (like ours) join in – I’ve no idea why as you never hear anyone joining in ‘I’m forever blowing bubbles’ or Delilah. Lastly I really hate ‘Great European nights at Anfield’ © ITV which last time I looked consisted of a half full stadium watching Liverpool team get beat against some tinpot outfit in the Europa Cup.

If Liverpool win, I suppose it would be nice to see Gerrard lift the trophy in a World cup year but I can’t say I will lose sleep either way.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The thought of those Chelsea knuts winning another trophy makes me firmly in the hoping Liverpool win it camp.

Classy bunch of fans too, singing through the minute silence yesterday :tosser:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The thought of those Chelsea knuts winning another trophy makes me firmly in the hoping Liverpool win it camp.

Classy bunch of fans too, singing through the minute silence yesterday :tosser:

Well I imagine they'll a minutes silence for the Heysel disaster next year what with it being 30 years, I imagine the Liverpool supporters will observe that perfectly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
On the other, I have a built in dislike for Liverpool FC. I hate the 30/ 40 yr old plastic fans who can’t find the place on a map, I hate the washing of hands for Heysel, I hate You’ll never walk alone and the way even opposition fans (like ours) join in – I’ve no idea why as you never hear anyone joining in ‘I’m forever blowing bubbles’ or Delilah. Lastly I really hate ‘Great European nights at Anfield’ © ITV which last time I looked consisted of a half full stadium watching Liverpool team get beat against some tinpot outfit in the Europa Cup.

If Liverpool win, I suppose it would be nice to see Gerrard lift the trophy in a World cup year but I can’t say I will lose sleep either way.

1. How is it Liverpool's fault they've attracted plastic fans around the South of England? They have plenty of fans within their city which live and breathe their club. How can you hate a club because of something they have no control over?

2. You'll Never Walk Alone - it's just a massively emotional song. They adopted it after Gerry's cover, I can remember singing it at every NYE party I ever went to. To hear a crowd sing it is incredible. The context of the song is from Carousel in which one character is comforting another after her husband kills himself. Gets me every time. I'm no Liverpool fan either.

3. As with reason 1. how is it Liverpool's fault how ITV cover football? They're selling a product wanting people to watch a great Anfield night. They're hardly going to say join us for a dull quiet evening at a half empty stadium.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Well I imagine they'll a minutes silence for the Heysel disaster next year what with it being 30 years, I imagine the Liverpool supporters will observe that perfectly.

I'm 100% certain they'd observe it perfectly because they have done in the past.

People like you who keep bringing up Heysel whenever Hillsborough is mentioned would do well to read the following:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/05/what-about-justice-for-heysel/

English football fans were hated in Europe around the time of Heysel and something catastrophic was going to happen to one club at some point the way things were going. Uefa have to share a lot of the blame by selecting a stadium that was not fit to hold any event, let alone a game of such importance.

king B

Jun 16, 2011
Liverpool have has a great season far but I hate when people that he deserves to win it he doesn't. If he and Liverpool deserved to win it then they would have won it, every season they since they last won there have been at least one or more teams that have been better over 38 games then Liverpool

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The only reason I wouldn't want Liverpool to win the title is because Pompey would then get a million quid! But it feels like Liverpools year and it'd make a pleasant change from the usual teams.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I have to say I’m split on the issue. On the one hand, I like the way Liverpool play, the way Rogers has managed the team and their comparative lack of wealth against the Russian gangsters and Middle Eastern oil barrens. I quite grudgingly like Suarez as he reminds me of an old school South American player.

On this point, of the Liverpool fans I know down in this part of the world, the vast majority of them go up to Anfield a good few times a season. Contrast this with the southern-based MUFC 'fans', who are more like the description you give.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Why is everyone assuming Liverpool have almost won the league? They're playing Chelsea at home on the 27th. if they draw that match I think Man City will win the league. I still have my doubts wether Liverpool can go the whole way.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
1. How is it Liverpool's fault they've attracted plastic fans around the South of England? They have plenty of fans within their city which live and breathe their club. How can you hate a club because of something they have no control over?

2. You'll Never Walk Alone - it's just a massively emotional song. They adopted it after Gerry's cover, I can remember singing it at every NYE party I ever went to. To hear a crowd sing it is incredible. The context of the song is from Carousel in which one character is comforting another after her husband kills himself. Gets me every time. I'm no Liverpool fan either.

3. As with reason 1. how is it Liverpool's fault how ITV cover football? They're selling a product wanting people to watch a great Anfield night. They're hardly going to say join us for a dull quiet evening at a half empty stadium.

On Point 2, you say Carousal, I raise you Robson and Jerome murdering it. I just find it a horrible dirge sung out of tune by football fans or 2 Karoake blokes.

On Points 1 and 3, Liverpool have always been classed as the greatest fans in the world before Portsmouth by the media - It just gets on my tits. Reality is that they are no better or worse than anyone else. I work in Liverpool (well, used to) and most of the locals were Everton fans. I'm sure there are locals who support the team but I just remember everyone supporting them when I grew up just because they won everything. For me, they were the original plastics long before Man Utd won that title hands down.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It most certainly would! And why shouldn't it ? Though maybe not the most likeable of chappies, he is the leagues top scorer.
Only giving the winners medals to the nicest bunch of guys, even if they are talentless seems a bit bizarre surely. ???

Terry, Mourinho and Abramovich would surely be more deserving for just being all-round nice guys.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Having assessed your reasons for and against I can only assume that your first hand is huge and wonderfully dexterous and the other is an insubstantially withered little thing

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
On Point 2, you say Carousal, I raise you Robson and Jerome murdering it. I just find it a horrible dirge sung out of tune by football fans or 2 Karoake blokes.

On Points 1 and 3, Liverpool have always been classed as the greatest fans in the world before Portsmouth by the media - It just gets on my tits. Reality is that they are no better or worse than anyone else. I work in Liverpool (well, used to) and most of the locals were Everton fans. I'm sure there are locals who support the team but I just remember everyone supporting them when I grew up just because they won everything. For me, they were the original plastics long before Man Utd won that title hands down.

This plastics thing does make me laugh. It's surely a derogatory term toward a person who supports a team that they have no connection with and only watch on telly, but how is related to a club? All you've done is point out the most successful club in the '70's and '80's followed by the most successful club in the '90's and 00's have attracted a lot of fans outside their city. Go figure.

Everton have a bigger following in Liverpool, because historically they were the bigger club within the city. Success has changed that, but my point stands how is LFC plastic by virtue of success and attracting fans from around the country, I don't understand the logic?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This plastics thing does make me laugh. It's surely a derogatory term toward a person who supports a team that they have no connection with and only watch on telly, but how is related to a club? All you've done is point out the most successful club in the '70's and '80's followed by the most successful club in the '90's and 00's have attracted a lot of fans outside their city. Go figure.

Everton have a bigger following in Liverpool, because historically they were the bigger club within the city. Success has changed that, but my point stands how is LFC plastic by virtue of success and attracting fans from around the country, I don't understand the logic?

Plastics in this instance is a derogatory term for all the irritating fans of Liverpool I have met over the years (of which there are many) who I can’t have a decent conversation with about football and have a dislike for. As an example, I was at a wedding when we lost 5-0 to Palace. I had the misfortune to be sat on a table of Liverpool fans who had gone top that day. None of them had any knowledge of football beyond Manchester or Liverpool, None of them were from the area (Oh, I support Liverpool because of my aunties favourite cat was called King Kenny) and all of them were twats. They simply couldn’t understand supporting your local team and all were Rupert Murdoch’s love children who can't understand what losing 5-0 to your bitterest rivals can be like because they have never had any emotional investment in the team. There have been many more people I’ve met over the years like this and each time it just adds to the negative column.

To counter that, one of the most knowledgeable football conversations I used to have at work were with a Man Utd season ticket holder (From Manchester). Similarly, I have rarely encountered many Man Utd supporters jumping on the bandwagon, although we all know there are loads. As a consequence, I’ve never felt any real dislike for Man Utd and I even admit to jumping out of my seat on THAT night in Barcelona when they went 2-1 in front.

I appreciate your point, that its not Liverpool fault for these reasons but then intense dislikes rarely are rational. I’ve always wanted to punch Robbie Williams but I can’t tell you why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here