Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Piper

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
No, Calde would just miss out.

Ridiculous, that he wouldn't get that recognition.

No Bruno....... unless he plays two more seasons between his kips.
Same for Bruno, scandalous

Perhaps the club approached Steve Pipers family about some sort of mention for him.
His family might not have wanted a fuss made (saying this with respect), just keeping it private.

Perhaps, it is possible, but after it being in the Argue it was already public.

Really think the club need to have a serious rethink on this one, no Wardy, no Zamora, no Murray, no Bruno, no Calderon, there are some proper club legends right there, as for Adam El-Abd, he's not in the same class but he should still be commemorated, he wore the stripes with pride.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Ridiculous, that he wouldn't get that recognition.

Same for Bruno, scandalous

Perhaps, it is possible, but after it being in the Argue it was already public.

Really think the club need to have a serious rethink on this one, no Wardy, no Zamora, no Murray, no Bruno, no Calderon, there are some proper club legends right there, as for Adam El-Abd, he's not in the same class but he should still be commemorated, he wore the stripes with pride.

I was lucky enough to have played with and against Stevie Piper.
A gentleman and one of the most genuine people that you could wish to meet.
Pipes was a tough but fair competitor and should probably have played more games than he did.
Competition was very strong when he was at the club.
RIP Pipes

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Watched him play, played against him a few times and will write to Mr Barber about a tribute. It’s a shame that a figure should dictate wether a man who gave a hell of a lot of
His life to the club, both as a player and supporter, does not get a tribute. Let’s put pressure on the club on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Isn't there an easy solution to this? If his picture doesn't go up on 64 minutes on Monday we all stand and start singing 'one Stevie Piper, there's only one Stevie Piper.................' and embarrass the Club in to changing its policy.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Isn't there an easy solution to this? If his picture doesn't go up on 64 minutes on Monday we all stand and start singing 'one Stevie Piper, there's only one Stevie Piper.................' and embarrass the Club in to changing its policy.

I think that's a great suggestion. The fans know their real heroes and Steve Piper was definitely one of mine. And to his great credit you would always see him around during the Withdean days, supporting the club from a fan's seat (not the freebies) and still chatting to people. A lovely bloke who deserves a lot better from the club in my opinion.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Personally, I am against the whole 'minute's applause at XX minutes' as I feel this is a distraction to the players (and fans) during the game. Every moment should during the match should be held over to the notion of supporting the team. Once you start applauding, you're taking yourself out of that sphere. For me, it should be at the start of the match.

In this instance I agree with Harty that Steve Piper certainly crosses the threshold of those deserving public recognition, and I feel it's wrong for the club to have a strict policy of 'over 250 games' (though it certainly shouldn't be for 'every Brighton player' either) when it should be more about the quality, service and legacy that that person contributed to (at times an unquantifiable issue), rather than just the the number of appearances.

In that sense, Wardy, Calde, Bruno and many others mentioned would be worthy of that recognition. As they should be. However, I do also appreciate that it can make the selection fairly arbitrary. Ticklish.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Have just got the heads-up that the club's policy of 'over 250 games' isn't a hard and fast rule, merely a rough guideline which is open to interpretation.

It is more to do with the legacy and impact that player had on their time at the club, and each request - should one be received - will be considered individually.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am not sure all this kerfuffle is really worthwhile, the club cannot redeem itself its all too little too late and whilst I am sure the Piper family might like some recognition rather than not being the good family they seem I suspect they mainly care for those that show sincere condolences from close family and friends, ultimately that's what really counts, they probably have the programmes, the scrapbooks and memories I doubt they need nor care too much whether the department for minutes applause at the club grant them anything in particular.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here