Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Piper

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To their credit the club have been in touch to clarify what the policy is, a player who passes away, unless at a relatively young age, has had to have played in excess of 250 games for the club to qualify for a tribute on the big screen.

Not the answer I wanted to hear, Pipes was also a friend as well as an ex Albion player, but at least its a clear policy.

Maybe it is because there are precious few of the current regime who were around in those days and do not fully realise that some of us old farts remember the days when we were all part of the club rather than "customers".

I suppose there is only Chapman and old man Bloom who remember those days.

This is a very different club now Ian.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Maybe it is because there are precious few of the current regime who were around in those days and do not fully realise that some of us old farts remember the days when we were all part of the club rather than "customers".

I suppose there is only Chapman and old man Bloom who remember those days.

This is a very different club now Ian.

I think Alan Mullery was manager for Steve’s last season with us.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
To their credit the club have been in touch to clarify what the policy is, a player who passes away, unless at a relatively young age, has had to have played in excess of 250 games for the club to qualify for a tribute on the big screen.

It would take a player to stay with the club for about seven years to play in excess of 250 times and throughout those seven years to be a virtual ever present. That is a very limiting criteria which I think needs to be reconsidered. Neither Ward or Zamora will qualify which of course is ridiculous.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Firstly, and I am sure Ian has experience of this, the club are exceptional in how they deal with matters such as these. However, this does appear to be a bit of a "Whoops" moment.

Steve was hugely respected as an Albion player, then in local football after his early retirement from the professional game. He was also greatly liked amongst the Sussex business community but also as an all round decent bloke. I understand he continued to attend our games also.

We don't know what the family may have said so we shouldn't rush to judgement but all things being equal, perhaps we might find that PB et al reconsider on this occasion.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This needs to be rectified at the next home game. He played through a great period in Albion's history and never gave anything other than 100 per cent. Poor show especially for fans of my age who still feel that the Taylor and Mullery period seems like yesterday.
I can’t remember what I had for breakfast but I remember promotion night against ‘The Massive’ alright.

Why does there have to be a policy on everything ffs......... are the days littered with Albion players tragically passing on ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe if enough people raise the issue the club might change their mind on this occasion?

Have raised it and to his credit Paul Barber has responded, with the same response as above, 250 appearances etc...

Just feel Pipes deserves more and the club have got this wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Have raised it and to his credit Paul Barber has responded, with the same response as above, 250 appearances etc...

Just feel Pipes deserves more and the club have got this wrong.

Barber has no idea what this club means to us fans. He may be good at emails and PR stunts but he is clueless.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It would take a player to stay with the club for about seven years to play in excess of 250 times and throughout those seven years to be a virtual ever present. That is a very limiting criteria which I think needs to be reconsidered. Neither Ward or Zamora will qualify which of course is ridiculous.

Just looked this up - only 19 post-war players currently meet this criterion. That's a very select group.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Maybe we should have a poll (ducks,below the parapet). Or a petition or something to show that we feel they have got this hugely wrong.

Incidentally, when I went to my very first ever game at the Goldstone, a 1-1 draw with Bury in 1976 I think, I had been told about this great player we had called Peter Ward, but nobody told me what number he wore, I was really impressed by the number 10, best player on the pitch in my young opinion, so wrongly assumed that was Wardy.

It wasn't until I was on my way home that someone told me Steve Piper was number 10 and that Wardy was at number 8.

For whoever asked earlier Muller's was the manager that day, so Piper definitely played under him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just looked this up - only 19 post-war players currently meet this criterion. That's a very select group.

Horton, Ward and Zamora won’t get a tribute on a screen then.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We don't know what the family may have said so we shouldn't rush to judgement but all things being equal, perhaps we might find that PB et al reconsider on this occasion.

let's bring it to the club's attention and give them a chance to rethink, without all this anti Barber diatribe

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I don't see why they have set this ridiculous limit, what does it cost them to show a bit of respect to players who wore the stripes and in most cases gave it their best.

Did Calde make it to 250? Robbie Reinelt and Stuart Storer definitely didn't, without them there probably would be no big screens or Amex or Brighton and Hove Albion

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't see why they have set this ridiculous limit, what does it cost them to show a bit of respect to players who wore the stripes and in most cases gave it their best.

Did Calde make it to 250? Robbie Reinelt and Stuart Storer definitely didn't, without them there probably would be no big screens or Amex or Brighton and Hove Albion
No, Calde would just miss out.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Perhaps the club approached Steve Pipers family about some sort of mention for him.
His family might not have wanted a fuss made (saying this with respect), just keeping it private.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here