Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve McClaren

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
What are Derby's intentions this year? Didn't they come out and say they did not want to get promoted last season? Has this changed this year? they have invested well and are clearly pushing for something?

If the answer is yes they want to go for it this year, is McClaren really the answer to getting to the promised land?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
It's truly bizarre the way members of the English Serial Loser Managers Club such as Steve McClaren just rumble on from job to job. Has to be a large part of the problem of failure of the national side shirley? Where's the fresh thinking? Why do certain managers with a long track record of mediocrity always get the gig? ???

To be fare, he's not the worst of that 'sort' of manager. He took Boro' to Europe for the first time after winning the League cup, and won a first and only Eredivisie title for FC Twente a few years back. Considering PSV, Ajax or Feyenoord have won that title 53 times out of the last 60 years , that's not a bad achievement really.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
To be fare, he's not the worst of that 'sort' of manager. He took Boro' to Europe for the first time after winning the League cup, and won a first and only Eredivisie title for FC Twente a few years back. Considering PSV, Ajax or Feyenoord have won that title 53 times out of the last 60 years , that's not a bad achievement really.

He even learnt the local accent. Now that's dedication :lolol: I agree with what you are saying but If I were Derby I would have gone for Warnock.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Reminds me of that old Level 42 number:

"The Derby Way
Who knows what they know
The Derby legend grows"

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
He even learnt the local accent. Now that's dedication :lolol: I agree with what you are saying but If I were Derby I would have gone for Warnock.

Agreed. In their situation Warnock would of probably been the better option.

Sadly, I think McClaren's disaster with England over shadows his achievements, many of which were at Man Utd as Fergie's number two - People forget that these days.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I think it could be worth betting on Derby in the next few weeks. McLaren will get the best out of the squad before they fail when the pressure's on.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
"What's twelve inches long and dangles in front of a c##t?"

"Steve McClaren's tie."

I'm very happy with this appointment. He will probably get a short term bounce out of the squad as they are underperforming woefully at present. However, given time he will screw up, the chairman will start sending drones to training and the whole thing will go to shit again.

"The Derby Way!"

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
"What's twelve inches long and dangles in front of a c##t?"

"Steve McClaren's tie."

I'm very happy with this appointment. He will probably get a short term bounce out of the squad as they are underperforming woefully at present. However, given time he will screw up, the chairman will start sending drones to training and the whole thing will go to shit again.

"The Derby Way!"

Hasn't his hair got its own Twitter account #quiff

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Quifftastic news. Bloke is an utter muppet.
image.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think it was the jammiest EVER Albion 2-0 win against Derby that did for you that season. I have never seen a more one sided game that the best team lost :lolol:

We beat Leicester 1-0 with a Virgo goal some years back - that was pretty one sided.
I'm going to add the very sketchy details of one more here, even though this would seem to be a thread of it's own.

I'm going to say af Sheffield United back in our last championship run.
If it wasn't then there certainly was a 'smash and grab', against the run of play, late winner game, that season.

The only reason I (clearly don't) remember it comes from a Butters anecdote where he said words to the effect of:-

'none of us could believe the result, we got back to the changing room and everybody just started laughing'.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
McClaren must have voted for Brexit as he has a little island all of his own.
Seriously, I have been around for a while and I can honestly say that I have never seen a bigger prat in football management than McClaren. Many have come very close including Pardew.
Its not just the remarks after the Derby game but everything else including the way he screws his face up when he talks.
I don't particularly want to see Derby fail but if he becomes their manager I would love it if he made another total tool of himself.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
When McClaren was there before, I honestly thought they were comfortably the best team in the division, and when they hammered us in the play-off's, I thought their fans conducted themselves really well, the team was excellent and I felt sure they'd easily win the final....... then they didn't.

Last season the racism towards Goldson, the booing of March with a season ending injury and the behaviour of Martin - (disappointingly) just made me realise what a nasty, odious club they actually are. (sorry Mikeyj - you seem okay).

I wish Powell had got the job as he is a decent individual - I wonder how long he'll last.........

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
McClaren and now Bruce joining the Championship fray is not good news for the Albion.
Can't see how they won't manage to get a decent showing/bounce out of their expensive squads, and spend even further in January. There's plenty of games left for them to start challenging the top 6.
Makes our job harder even though we've a decent head start on both of them.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
McClaren and now Bruce joining the Championship fray is not good news for the Albion.
Can't see how they won't manage to get a decent showing/bounce out of their expensive squads, and spend even further in January. There's plenty of games left for them to start challenging the top 6.
Makes our job harder even though we've a decent head start on both of them.

How is McClaren joining Derby not good news? He is hopeless and will fail miserably.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
How is McClaren joining Derby not good news? He is hopeless and will fail miserably.

Yes. I hope he is hopeless but i'm guessing he can get considerably more out of that squad that Pearson and his sulks and theatrics. He took a less impressive DCFC squad to the play off final before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here