Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell in and NOW.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Why would Knight have had axcess to the 1983 Cup Final money hs wasnt involved with the club then and according to past employees not even a supporter, well not a season ticket holder as he claimed.

Whooooooosh!

(that's the sound of something going completely over your head, in case you weren't sure).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
all i can say is never go back rarely works stick with slade after Gillingham game it was how great we were and were off to the playoffs.
Were just an inconsistant side along with many others.

Now I'm sober I'll try and explain my theory on why going back does not tend to work and why it will in Coppell's case:

I have often felt some managers and players achieve success through a combination of events rather than the raw talent of the individual. Using Mickey's first tenure as an example a number of factors helped him on his way. There was the momentum and hysteria surrounding our move back to Brighton, the decent key players he knew (and who he inherited at Fulham) and the signing of Bobby Zamora. Maybe there is also an element of luck at times. Things could have been very different had Knight sanctioned the 100k for Adams' original target who was Steve Howard and we did not move back to Brighton. This is not to belittle MA's achievements as he certainly played his part...but it was one part amongst a few. Put succinctly there is often an element of zeitgeist to success. And when folk return the circumstances are often different and the expectation is that previous triumphs will be repeated. This after all is the reason why people turn to previous employees.

My theory is often backed up by numerous strikers who have a purple period, score a bucket load for one or two season then just fade away. Anyone remember that Guy Iporia (sp?) for Scunthorpe who was matching Zamora in the goal stakes for a while. I do feel sometimes strikers just get lucky for a short while.

Anyways, Coppell has repeatedly brought success to the teams he has managed, often in varying circumstances. This makes me feel the success is more him than anything else. He is not the beneficiary of circumstances, neither is he lucky.....his various successes is mainly down to him.

I think he is one of the best managers we have had. His got the best out of the players, they played confidently, his player purchases were spot on and he spoke clearly and intelligently in his interviews and always seemed to acknowledge the deficiencies and address them quickly.

There you go.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Now I'm sober I'll try and explain my theory on why going back does not tend to work and why it will in Coppell's case:

I have often felt some managers and players achieve success through a combination of events rather than the raw talent of the individual. Using Mickey's first tenure as an example a number of factors helped him on his way. There was the momentum and hysteria surrounding our move back to Brighton, the decent key players he knew (and who he inherited at Fulham) and the signing of Bobby Zamora. Maybe there is also an element of luck at times. Things could have been very different had Knight sanctioned the 100k for Adams' original target who was Steve Howard and we did not move back to Brighton. This is not to belittle MA's achievements as he certainly played his part...but it was one part amongst a few. Put succinctly there is often an element of zeitgeist to success. And when folk return the circumstances are often different and the expectation is that previous triumphs will be repeated. This after all is the reason why people turn to previous employees.

My theory is often backed up by numerous strikers who have a purple period, score a bucket load for one or two season then just fade away. Anyone remember that Guy Iporia (sp?) for Scunthorpe who was matching Zamora in the goal stakes for a while. I do feel sometimes strikers just get lucky for a short while.

Anyways, Coppell has repeatedly brought success to the teams he has managed, often in varying circumstances. This makes me feel the success is more him than anything else. He is not the beneficiary of circumstances, neither is he lucky.....his various successes is mainly down to him.

I think he is one of the best managers we have had. His got the best out of the players, they played confidently, his player purchases were spot on and he spoke clearly and intelligently in his interviews and always seemed to acknowledge the deficiencies and address them quickly.

There you go.

Well put - I dont think anyone could disagree with that. The only point I would mention is that Micky Adams was quite highly regarded as a young manager with potential whan we got him - I think he did a great job, especially in motivation. The other thing is that all the good things you say about Coppell could also apply to Curbishley. I would be happy with either.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If TB is prepared to pay top dollar then I can see us being attractive to a managerial Big Gun. Money talks.

Having said that, I remember hearing him say (at the fan's forum) that players such Billy Sharpe were totally out of our price range (at a million quid). I did - & still do - wonder how much he is prepared to invest in the team; & whether he has also decided on how much he's willing to punt on a replacement manager/managerial team?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here