Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Steve Cooper now favourite to be next Crystal Palace manager

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Genuine question, would you rather play pretty football like Potterball, which may be easy on the eye but produce below average ned results, or basic football which produces above average results?
Rotball has been a hard watch, but has led to us being fairly safe all season, and produced some memorable results. We need to be careful who the next manager is, as we have a style that works with the core of the team, most of whom will be here next season, and bringing in a name manager could disrupt that. Sean Dyche for me if we can prise him away from Burnley
I’d rather play how we do than how you do.

You must have realised that Roy was going to retire soon, there seems to have been little evidence of planning for his successor.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Genuine question, would you rather play pretty football like Potterball, which may be easy on the eye but produce below average ned results, or basic football which produces above average results?
Rotball has been a hard watch, but has led to us being fairly safe all season, and produced some memorable results. We need to be careful who the next manager is, as we have a style that works with the core of the team, most of whom will be here next season, and bringing in a name manager could disrupt that. Sean Dyche for me if we can prise him away from Burnley

Honestly I can't imagine any joy in watching Palace this season.

Football is entertainment. It's a passion. It's an escape. Otherwise, why bother?

If it's simply to stay up by any means necessary, year after year, I think I'd get bored and frustrated, and find something else to do.

As for Potterball, it's misleading to characterize the approach as "pretty football with below average results". It's pretty obvious there is a vision in place, and the evidence for improvement is clearly there.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Some recent stuff from the Planet Swans forum:

"My personal beef has been about the quality of our play & seeming lack of progress in our style, I appreciate the club is in the results business rather than the entertainment version but we have become barely watchable recently - feels like the financial benefit in promotion is the target rather than the sporting/style/achievement, IF (& that’s a big one) we were to make it up I’d expect a minimal spend WBA style plan on coming straight back down & look to utilise the media money to establish financial security (maybe even a sale) rather than sporting success."

"Cooper is a hard guy to like. He's prickly, slow to learn and keen to allocate blame but not accept it. His team has consistently played slow, cautious, boring, largely direct football for his entire tenure. We've become a club that grinds points out via attrition rather than winning them in style. It's unustainable in the long run, and the idea of trying to do it in the Prem is frankly terrifying.

Whilst he deserves credit for two playoff finishes in a row, I don't see a massive disconnect between that and wishing that he'd go about his business in a different way, or hoping that someone who can bring a bit of fun back to watching the Swans gets the job instead."

"I don’t think anyone loves Steve Cooper.

His football isn’t the most aesthetic, we had a few bright spells during games earlier in the season, but they are few and far between. He’s a difficult guy to take to and as Dr W says further down the thread is great at deflecting blame but taking credit."

"I don't much like Cooper. I don't like the way he manages my side, I don't like the football he plays and I don't much like what I've seen of him as a person. I'll shed not a single tear on the day he departs. But it's frankly mad to suggest that we've achieved the playoffs in consecutive seasons despite him."

"I don’t know where you’re getting this ‘love’ for him from. No one on here likes the style of football, no one finds him engaging or charismatic, I doubt anyone is impressed by the way he blames players for defeats.

It’s pretty much split between those who give him credit for the results he’s got in spite of all the above and those who can’t wait for him to leave the club."

"He has fantastic contacts and we have players who would have been highly unlikely to come here without him and this has probably led to our league position which ultimately could lead to us winning the playoffs so for our club he has done a great job with the money that could potentially come in

As a fan however the football is basic and hard to watch and will only become harder next season should we go up"

It’s a match made in heaven!

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Honestly I can't imagine any joy in watching Palace this season.

Football is entertainment. It's a passion. It's an escape. Otherwise, why bother?

If it's simply to stay up by any means necessary, year after year, I think I'd get bored and frustrated, and find something else to do.

As for Potterball, it's misleading to characterize the approach as "pretty football with below average results". It's pretty obvious there is a vision in place, and the evidence for improvement is clearly there.

Help me to understand the evidence for improvement.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
That's about as likely as you being able to BOOOO your lumpen team's next loss from the comfort of your brand new £100M Megastand.

There was no booing last night apart from the rolling around and theatrics of the Arsenal players. I quite like the current ground, its old and quirky, but its ours and its our home. Wouldnt you rather have stayed at the Goldstone ground all those years ago?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Help me to understand the evidence for improvement.

If that is a genuine question I am assuming you never watch PL football, so it would be a waste of time explaining.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Ah so the second half of the season is much better. And the performances have been better than the results. That was the story last year too. From what I have seen you haven't changed much since last season, not that we have improved either. Survival still the aim of the game, or do you really think you can kick on to bigger and better things?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There was no booing last night apart from the rolling around and theatrics of the Arsenal players. I quite like the current ground, its old and quirky, but its ours and its our home. Wouldnt you rather have stayed at the Goldstone ground all those years ago?

I personally like an old fashioned ground among the houses, bit like caravans though, just for a change of scenery, I wouldn't want to live in one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ah so the second half of the season is much better. And the performances have been better than the results. That was the story last year too. From what I have seen you haven't changed much since last season, not that we have improved either. Survival still the aim of the game, or do you really think you can kick on to bigger and better things?

100% but that is not a guarantee. The beauty of football is that you never know what’s going to happen.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I would rather have stayed at the Goldstone than go to Gillingham and had to play at Withdean for all those years which set our club back 20 years.

However, if you’d like me to say I’d rather stay at the Goldstone of the last few seasons there, the cabbage patch on the East stand, the absolutely awful unsanitary toilets, the very , very basic refreshments over our award winning super duper modern clean and safe Stadium, you’re having a laugh.

It’s not very romantic, but it’s true.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Survival, and 40 points will always be the first target.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

A lot of Arsenal fans in the White Horse stand apparently, they must like Selhurst.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I watched the Palace v Arsenal match on TV - but the viewing was spoiled for me by that massive shadow of the new main stand which was cast over the pitch.:whistle:

TB B&W Army

Sep 30, 2021
Horsham
Just looked back at this thread, and no-one was keen on Cooper then, but looks like a lot of us have changed our minds as he seems quite popular to replace GP should the worst happen

SAC

May 21, 2014
Just looked back at this thread, and no-one was keen on Cooper then, but looks like a lot of us have changed our minds as he seems quite popular to replace GP should the worst happen

Thanks for bouncing this thread. When I saw his being touted as a possible future replacement I did think that people weren't that keen not so long ago!

To be fair, he has worked wonders at Forest (52% win ratio)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well l wasn't keen on Potter when he first replaced Chris Hughton, but he has certainly won me over now. Opinions can change quickly in football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here