Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephens

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Who will make the chances for Hemed and Baldock especially if LR has to play at left back.

A midfield of March, Crofts, Kayal and Murphy would be very creative, if a little adventurous for Hughton's palate. I really wouldn't be surprised if Calderon got run out on the left or right side of midfield with a positive substitution made towards the end of the game if we need a goal. Hope not.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A midfield of March, Crofts, Kayal and Murphy would be very creative, if a little adventurous for Hughton's palate. I really wouldn't be surprised if Calderon got run out on the left or right side of midfield with a positive substitution made towards the end of the game if we need a goal. Hope not.

A midfield of those 4 and even adding Calderon would play into Readings attack minded plans so it would be taking a massive gamble. I think Holla or even Ince is more likely than 1 of the 2 wide men.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A midfield of those 4 and even adding Calderon would play into Readings attack minded plans so it would be taking a massive gamble. I think Holla or even Ince is more likely than 1 of the 2 wide men.

I can't see what Holla offers defensively and I cant see Holla, Ince or Crofts playing on the right or left side of a traditional 4-4-2. Could be time for a formation change.

I've only seen a little of Reading this season but what I have seen seems to be pretty direct, old fashioned balls in the box. Set pieces might be crucial. Ince might be the answer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still got the Stephens blinkers on? POTS so far and we look terrible without him.
I don't see how you get that from what I wrote.

All I'm saying is Kayal and Stephens game isn't really about box to box.
I think its more about getting the ball and moving it forward quickly.

Therefore looking for a 'box to box' replacement isn't as necessary as having a tackling passer stepping up.

I'm all over the Ince thread asking 'what did you expect was going to happen when our 2 best central midfielders weren't playing?'.

But once again I dont see DS as player of the season, so far because he's not even our 'player of the midfield'.
Who in turn isn't even as good as Bruno, or Stockdale.

What luxury.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Crofts is a slow worm although a grafter...sadly doesn't offer a lot bar commitment naturally.

5 goals in 23 games prior to his injury suggests otherwise.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If looking for a box to box midfielder to get the ball forward quickly without Stephens or Rosenior there is only 1 option JFC playing the role he does for England U21s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here