Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Stanmer park

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hello folks

little tip if you haven’t been to the old nursery in stanmer park, just beyond the stanmer house.

what an incredible find! It has been taken over by Plumpton College and the transformation is incredible.

There is two cafe’s, a shop which is very artisan driven with organic stuff and of course Plumpton wines and cheeses, laid out lawns and flower beds and walks around the are!

it’s perfect for kids for haloween with trails and manikins around the gardens.

if you get a chance, I thoroughly recommend a visit! Superb transformation.

I’ll post a picture when I can get it to upload.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
AC6355D2-89DC-4D0E-8A62-7C8E7FCC1FC5.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I stumbled across One Garden a year ago and posted pictures of it in the nsc gardening thread. We’ve been back many times since.

An investment by Plumpton College, students are trained there.

It’s fantastic and the plant nursery has a better selection of perennials than the usual selection elsewhere.

68E4CAF8-C1C8-4257-8A8F-83535971B123.png
F346CC72-0BBA-44E5-8916-4E6D1A27AA52.png

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's lovely there. Been a few times with kids and dog. Very relaxing to just wander around too.

(I can't believe my 10,000th post on NSC is about a bloody nursery/garden - even though it's a great one. I'm so old!)

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
a lot of work has been done in Stanmer, apart from One Garden, there is now a kids play park at the entrance, along with a kisok selling drinks and food. The car parks gave been repaired and there is a massive car park hidden right at the back. Parking is very reasonable, from £1 for an hour to a £5 (ish) for most of the day.
There are now sign posted walks all around the park, from a mile to the longer circuit all through the woods and around the ridge half way to the Beacon. The new pathway from the entrance to Falmer VIllage is superb as is off the road and well made.

There are some fascinating historical sites, from a unique victorian water catcher , which provided Stanmer House with some of the first flushing toilets in the country, to old land workings from thousands of years ago. The well by the church is hand dug and is hundreds of feet deep, and the donkey wheel is 16th centuary

Stanmer is the oldest continuosly occupied site in Northern Europe with evidence of habbitation going back 5000 years or so. The woods on the North East side are hundreds of years old, with some fauna not found anywhere else in the UK

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
a lot of work has been done in Stanmer, apart from One Garden, there is now a kids play park at the entrance, along with a kisok selling drinks and food. The car parks gave been repaired and there is a massive car park hidden right at the back. Parking is very reasonable, from £1 for an hour to a £5 (ish) for most of the day.
There are now sign posted walks all around the park, from a mile to the longer circuit all through the woods and around the ridge half way to the Beacon. The new pathway from the entrance to Falmer VIllage is superb as is off the road and well made.

There are some fascinating historical sites, from a unique victorian water catcher , which provided Stanmer House with some of the first flushing toilets in the country, to old land workings from thousands of years ago. The well by the church is hand dug and is hundreds of feet deep, and the donkey wheel is 16th centuary

Stanmer is the oldest continuosly occupied site in Northern Europe with evidence of habbitation going back 5000 years or so. The woods on the North East side are hundreds of years old, with some fauna not found anywhere else in the UK
where is that documented... not wanting to doubt it but would like some evidence as I thought some places in Ireland were the oldest.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
where is that documented... not wanting to doubt it but would like some evidence as I thought some places in Ireland were the oldest.
It seems I was wrong but it is very old, I am trying to recall where I got the information from, I know I was told it at some point, Here is a link to a useful page about stanmer which says at Least 1500 BC, which is still a long way back but not close to some areas of Northern Europe, and certainly nowhere near central and southern Europe

Its possible that my ageing memory has confused "thought to be" rather than "is" . Regardless it is quite an historic area, in both ancient, modern, and prehistoric terms

If I can find my original source Ill post it, but in the mean time Im happy to accept I am mistaken.

There are of course plenty of areas with much earlier settlements by many thousands ogf years, it was the continuolsy inhabbited that always caught my attention, I will be quite sad if it is merley 3500 yrs rather than my expected 5000 +
https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placepark/stanmer/stanmer-park

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Will probably impact in the cafe in the village.
I went there a few weeks ago and they were concerned about it and the clientele was a bit sparse.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Will probably impact in the cafe in the village.
I went there a few weeks ago and they were concerned about it and the clientele was a bit sparse.
One Garden has been open for at least two summers now and every time I've visited the cafe in the village seems to be doing a roaring trade too. Room for both I reckon.

That said, most parts of the hospitality trade have seen some worryingly quiet days in recent weeks, and we're going to see some casualties in that sector this winter.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Used to often walk there but not now. Just think it is wrong to charge for parking in a public park. Hope people support the original cafe

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hello folks

little tip if you haven’t been to the old nursery in stanmer park, just beyond the stanmer house.

what an incredible find! It has been taken over by Plumpton College and the transformation is incredible.

There is two cafe’s, a shop which is very artisan driven with organic stuff and of course Plumpton wines and cheeses, laid out lawns and flower beds and walks around the are!

it’s perfect for kids for haloween with trails and manikins around the gardens.

if you get a chance, I thoroughly recommend a visit! Superb transformation.

I’ll post a picture when I can get it to upload.
Absolutely echo this. It was opened with very little fanfare, indeed my wife and I (regular visitors to Stanmer Park to walk the dogs) found out about it by accident. We knew there had been some development and the left turn in the road by the house and the church was now bigger. We walked up there and, wow! Definitely worth a visit.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Went today. Positives - the setting is lovely and recommended. The staff in the cafe were friendly and it's very nicely designed. Negatives - parking is £1.70 ph not £1 as stated above. The food was mixed, mine was a very tasty haddock in a gallon of sauce but pricey at £14.50 and no carbs served with it. My parents both had the open steak sandwich with chips, £12.50, and yes the beef is locally sourced but tough (I tried some) and the sourdough bread a mistake as dad says it was as tough as shoe leather. They don't want to go back, sadly. It was very busy though, lots of dogs etc. Still worth a visit perhaps more for a coffee and cake.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Went today. Positives - the setting is lovely and recommended. The staff in the cafe were friendly and it's very nicely designed. Negatives - parking is £1.70 ph not £1 as stated above. The food was mixed, mine was a very tasty haddock in a gallon of sauce but pricey at £14.50 and no carbs served with it. My parents both had the open steak sandwich with chips, £12.50, and yes the beef is locally sourced but tough (I tried some) and the sourdough bread a mistake as dad says it was as tough as shoe leather. They don't want to go back, sadly. It was very busy though, lots of dogs etc. Still worth a visit perhaps more for a coffee and cake.
The cafe's nice, but with seating outside, pick a decent day's weather. You also get to see the stunning perennials and borders from say March onwards, past its best now.

I avoid weekends and school holidays ..... I made the mistake of going there on a busy Sunday in May with events on ... folk were driving round the carparks desperately waiting for people to leave.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
My wife used to walk dog there nearly every day and used the original cafe. Paying for parking which I think is a cheek in a public park put a stop to this.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My wife used to walk dog there nearly every day and used the original cafe. Paying for parking which I think is a cheek in a public park put a stop to this.
The council claim that the parking fees are reinvested in maintaining the park. I’d love to see the evidence.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
a lot of work has been done in Stanmer, apart from One Garden, there is now a kids play park at the entrance, along with a kisok selling drinks and food. The car parks gave been repaired and there is a massive car park hidden right at the back.

The council claim that the parking fees are reinvested in maintaining the park. I’d love to see the evidence.
:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here