Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium Steps Up To The Coach Park

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Home and away fans mingling before and after games for transport is pretty much the norm for most grounds in the country no? Obviously select fixtures get the away fans kept behind for half hour etc, but overall my experience of grounds is this is pretty standard stuff ???:shrug:

Jan 30, 2008
seems over the top drama IMHO plenty of CCTV to keep an eye on things , how did some people cope going to football a few years back :shrug:
regards
DR

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Anyone else feel that just the one set of steps is inadequate? The fact that home fans have to mingle with the away fans to get up the one set of steps is not ideal and IMO could be catastrophic in the event that the away fans kick off in sufficient numbers. We saw a bit of this after the Leeds game but if we are Prem bound I envisage much greater problems. Would it not be possible to put in another set of steps nearer to the WSU so that the steps outside the away fans end could be used more exclusively for the away fans?[/QUOTE]

Trouble with this idea is that all the home supporters from the East Stand and North East corner would have to walk through the away fans to get to the coach park.
This would also include younger fans in the family section.
Better off widening the existing steps and have a dedicated couple of passages for away fans, then the ones that walk up before the final whistle, then always seem to come back down again against the flow can piss off their own fans instead of all fans attempting to get to the coach park.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone else feel that just the one set of steps is inadequate? The fact that home fans have to mingle with the away fans to get up the one set of steps is not ideal and IMO could be catastrophic in the event that the away fans kick off in sufficient numbers. We saw a bit of this after the Leeds game but if we are Prem bound I envisage much greater problems. Would it not be possible to put in another set of steps nearer to the WSU so that the steps outside the away fans end could be used more exclusively for the away fans?[/QUOTE]

Trouble with this idea is that all the home supporters from the East Stand and North East corner would have to walk through the away fans to get to the coach park.
This would also include younger fans in the family section.
Better off widening the existing steps and have a dedicated couple of passages for away fans, then the ones that walk up before the final whistle, then always seem to come back down again against the flow can piss off their own fans instead of all fans attempting to get to the coach park.

That might work, personally I have no problem with mingling with the away fans but those steps do get very overcrowded and another route up to the coach park would ease the situation and also, as you say, allow for possible segregation in the event that the away fans get a bit too lively. Anyways, I'm grateful for the tip about the ramp and will try that next time, it might also explain how some of my fellow coach travellers make it back before me and I don't see them on the steps!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Would have been a problem thirty years ago. These days there are very few problems at football and the old way of thinking is out of date. A good example of this was at Birmingham a few weeks ago. I researched online looking for a pre match pub and there were reviews claiming that pubs around the ground were 'intimidating.' That advice couldn't have been more wrong as we had a very enjoyable afternoon. This isn't 1979. No need to worry about fans 'kicking off' or things being more difficult in Division One.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
It needs stewards at the top of the stairs to stop idiots trying to get back down whilst the stairs are packed with people going up

I raised this several times on 'Ask the Club'. All they did was put a tannoy on a wall advising people 'Coach park only' but even that has been stopped. I once asked a security man and steward why they don't stop fans going back down and was told 'we are here just to stop alcohol being taken up the stairs'. So the club don't care that people coming back down could cause an accident.

I am of the opinion that the type of fan using supporters coaches, both home and away varieties, are generally not the type of fan who gets involved in argy bargy.

I know the Leeds fans were kicking off, but if I'm correct here they were only in the Coach Park to attack the Sky Vehicles and weren't actually on coaches themselves.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
In all the time the Amex has been used, I can't remember a single 'incident' on those steps, and I use them after every match. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The worst thing that happens is that someone needs the P&R steps but goes up to the coach park and then ends up coming back down again –*but surely doesn't justify building a load more steps.

To me, it's a bit like putting a bus stop next to one that's already there. Everyone is going to get on the bus, it just needs a bit of patience! Money could be much better spent elsewhere...

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Can't see any problems with the steps! Surely if there will be any problems it would be at the train station and there is no segregation there! Generally these days very little trouble around the ground and your hardened hoolies are unlikely to be Qing for the a bus or coach! A bit of manning up needed by the OP perhaps?

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Seems a fairly easy one to me.

Home & Away support can be segregated at two points to allow safe routes to the P&R etc area.

It may mean that those in the East Stand and those using Bennett's Field Parking may have to wait for a while or alternatively walk around the stadium.

I do not see the need for additional stairs to be built.

Amex Segregation.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Really? I'm sure they kept Palace in for a short while when they played down here last.

That was only because they were laughing so much

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Seems a fairly easy one to me.

Home & Away support can be segregated at two points to allow safe routes to the P&R etc area.

It may mean that those in the East Stand and those using Bennett's Field Parking may have to wait for a while or alternatively walk around the stadium.

I do not see the need for additional stairs to be built.

View attachment 80725

You obviously leave early or go towards the station. The approach road (your yellow route) is full with about four different queues for the park and ride bus stops, plus the away fans coaches are at the front of the coach park, your route takes them into the back end of the park and ride area.
Also, how do the away fans that require the station get out?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've a feeling IF there is a concern it may be addressed with the huge dollop of cash the club will get from being in the Premier League to allow for a few hundred grand of ground modifications.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You obviously leave early or go towards the station. The approach road (your yellow route) is full with about four different queues for the park and ride bus stops, plus the away fans coaches are at the front of the coach park, your route takes them into the back end of the park and ride area.
Also, how do the away fans that require the station get out?

........and takes home supporters directly to the away coaches :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really? I'm sure they kept Palace in for a short while when they played down here last.

It wasn't the last time, but they did hold back the Palace fans (in the rain) on St Patrick's Day. They got soaked wet through, which was amusing.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If you're that concerned stay in the ground for 30 minutes or leave 10 minutes early

Is that why so many people leave before the match has finished? To get up the stair before the away fans?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here