Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad for 23/24 - Summer 2023 Window

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Zeqiri exit confirmed by club - reports it was a fee of about £2.5m - £3m paid for by Belgian Pro League club Genk.
Some reports that Alzate is on his way to Turkish Super League club - Trabzonspor

Naylor has the most recent update >>

"Turkish club Trabzonspor are interested in Brighton midfielder Steven Alzate, who is seeking a permanent move away from the Amex Stadium.
Head coach Roberto De Zerbi, speaking about Alzate's situation yesterday before the UK window closed, said: “Unfortunately it is difficult to have more than two players in every position.

"But if he stays, I will not forget him. We will play a lot of games and I think Alzate can become important during the season.”

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Zeqiri exit confirmed by club - reports it was a fee of about £2.5m - £3m paid for by Belgian Pro League club Genk.
Some reports that Alzate is on his way to Turkish Super League club - Trabzonspor

Naylor has the most recent update >>

"Turkish club Trabzonspor are interested in Brighton midfielder Steven Alzate, who is seeking a permanent move away from the Amex Stadium.
Head coach Roberto De Zerbi, speaking about Alzate's situation yesterday before the UK window closed, said: “Unfortunately it is difficult to have more than two players in every position.

"But if he stays, I will not forget him. We will play a lot of games and I think Alzate can become important during the season.”

Regardless whether all parties are happy if Alzate does move permanenty to Trabzonspor, it's a puzzle why the club has left sorting him out a place until the last minute, yet again. Surely everybody knew he needed a good loan or a move months ago, and you wouldn't think it difficut to find a club wanting to take on a good player like Alzate.
Oh well, good luck to him anyway - he's earned any chances he gets.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Regardless whether all parties are happy if Alzate does move permanenty to Trabzonspor, it's a puzzle why the club has left sorting him out a place until the last minute, yet again. Surely everybody knew he needed a good loan or a move months ago, and you wouldn't think it difficut to find a club wanting to take on a good player like Alzate.
Oh well, good luck to him anyway - he's earned any chances he gets.
He's gone to Genk as posted by me yesterday on post 316.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I hope alzate stays after reading the RDZ comment. Would hate to end up like last season where we are chucking in kids at the end of the season

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I hope alzate stays after reading the RDZ comment. Would hate to end up like last season where we are chucking in kids at the end of the season
Perhaps we want to see how Baleba goes in training for a week or so before we agree to let Alzate join the Süper Lig?

But, Steven has Groß, Gilmour, Dahoud, Milner and probably Lallana ahead of him now. He also has Moder coming back from injury to compete against too. I think he needs the move.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Perhaps Alzate himself wants to leave. Not much chance of minutes, however accomodating RDZ is, if he stays at the Albion. Even if we have an injury crisis - he's still way back in the midfield pecking order.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A loan to Standard Liege - where he spent 22/23 - now looks the likely move for Alzate . Clubs are trying to make this happen before Belgian window closes. Reports it could be a loan just until January. His contract ends in 2024.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A loan to Standard Liege - where he spent 22/23 - now looks the likely move for Alzate . Clubs are trying to make this happen before Belgian window closes. Reports it could be a loan just until January. His contract ends in 2024.
Obviously we don't know the full story, but on the surface this has to look like an almighty cock-up. Several clubs, it was reported, both in the Championship and abroad were interested in him - but three months later he goes back to the club he went to as a consolation move last year after his loan move to the Championship (West Brom, IIRC) was totally ballsed up on transfer deadline day.
Wishing him a bit of good luck now - his luck has to change some time, surely!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Obviously we don't know the full story, but on the surface this has to look like an almighty cock-up. Several clubs, it was reported, both in the Championship and abroad were interested in him - but three months later he goes back to the club he went to as a consolation move last year after his loan move to the Championship (West Brom, IIRC) was totally ballsed up on transfer deadline day.
Wishing him a bit of good luck now - his luck has to change some time, surely!
We've (i'm assuming) have no idea tbh and the assumption its a "cock up" - by whom (his agent ? Alzate himself ? Brighton ? ) - well who knows.Perhaps that interest never materialised, perhaps he wasn't interested. We've no idea what his preferred outcome was, or whether more could have been done.

PS: here's the reporting for Alzate > Standard Liege . Might not happen

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We've (i'm assuming) have no idea tbh and the assumption its a "cock up" - by whom (his agent ? Alzate himself ? Brighton ? ) - well who knows.Perhaps that interest never materialised, perhaps he wasn't interested. We've no idea what his preferred outcome was, or whether more could have been done.

PS: here's the reporting for Alzate > Standard Liege . Might not happen

Well yes - but didn't "Obviously we don't know the full story" and "on the surface this has to look like an almighty cock-up" register with you? After all, that's saying pretty much the same thing as you; can't see much difference between 'don't know' and 'no idea' myself!
Appreciate your permanent defensive stance for all Albion business - but while we can agree we haven't a clue whether it's a cock-up by the club, or his agent, by the player himself, or by every single club that was interested in him - there is a strong suspicion of a cock-up in there somewhere!
Looks like a cock-up, feels like a cock-up, smells like a cock-up.............get the drift?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well yes - but didn't "Obviously we don't know the full story" and "on the surface this has to look like an almighty cock-up" register with you? After all, that's saying pretty much the same thing as you; can't see much difference between 'don't know' and 'no idea' myself!
Appreciate your permanent defensive stance for all Albion business - but while we can agree we haven't a clue whether it's a cock-up by the club, or his agent, by the player himself, or by every single club that was interested in him - there is a strong suspicion of a cock-up in there somewhere!
Looks like a cock-up, feels like a cock-up, smells like a cock-up.............get the drift?
I've no skin in the game, and its a tough old job to criticise the current Albion's transfer business generally admired by all and sundry as world class .
Just acknowledging that these things are messy and complicated and that - as far as i know, there's no reporting or knowledge about what is going on or what has led up to this . Alzate featured in pre-season, RDZ has said supportive things about him in press conferences but acknowledged how competitive his position is. . (eg: you're still saying "every single club that was interested in him" - but you've no idea if they actually were) . But fine - you clearly want to point the finger at someone, anyone, so fair enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here