Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sport Or Game?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Curling is a sport because the participants' individual physical input matters. Chess is a game because you could tell someone else to make the moves for you and the outcome would be the same.

So darts, snooker, diving, golf etc are sports. Poker isn't.

So is competitive cookery a sport?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You can get single player games.

IMO, if there's no physical effort above that which any other human can achieve then it's a game. Darts, Snooker, Chess...

I don't think most people can concentrate on chess for as long as top player would do or be able to play two weeks of snooker in order to play in a big tournament

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Apparently so. Can't wait to see the next series of Bake Off on Sky Sports.

Immediately followed by Tiddlywinks, Beer Pong and Space Invaders. All require physical technique that you can't just tell someone else to do, so clearly must be sports right?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Apparently so. Can't wait to see the next series of Bake Off on Sky Sports.

Immediately followed by Tiddlywinks, Beer Pong and Space Invaders. All require physical technique that you can't just tell someone else to do, so clearly must be sports right?

If it replaces Golf, UFC or Formula 1 I'm in favour

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
LOLz – good one :lol:

It's all relative, though. For both Darts and snooker, you're still moving multiple muscles so at least it is SOME form of exertion.

I'm less clear on Chess (mental stimulation, sure, but you're only really moving one hand) and computer football (whatever you call FIFA, etc?), because I'm pretty sure the latter is classed as a sport – as is the F1 version, although they have proper racing seats, pedals and steering wheels, don't they?

Plus in ALL those examples, you're competing against someone, which is part of the definition too :shrug:

Is not getting caught by the Mrs a sport or a game ?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
If it replaces Golf, UFC or Formula 1 I'm in favour

Probably for a different thread but I couldn't agree more on UFC (and the other two for that matter). I just can't understand the appeal of watching two people fighting, where the aim of the game(/sport) is to inflict potentially serious harm on your opponent.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Doctor: "So would you say you're active?"
Me: "Sure".
Doctor "How many hours of sport do you do a week?"
Me " Probably about 10 hours. 6 hours of darts and 4 hours of snooker"

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Now we're into a whole other area of discussion - whether an activity requiring subjective aesthetic opinion from a judge can be counted as sport. So things like ice skating, gymnastics, diving etc. Personally I count them as inferior for that reason. VAR (I hope) will never disallow a goal because it was too messy. What about baseball, where balls and strikes are judged by the umpire? There is a definite strike zone, which is nothing to do with aesthetics.

Somebody mentioned tiddlywinks - Oxford awards an eighth blue for representing the university against Cambridge, so at least one body recognises it as a sport.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For me it has to be the use of both brain and body. For that reason, darts and snooker is a sport, running is not.

Let me guess, you play darts (and are obviously and morbidly obese) ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just to be clear, golf is neither a sport or a game; it’s a pastime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here