Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sport Or Game?

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
In my book darts involves some physical demands - including steadyness, hand/eye co-ordination, muscle memory, control of breathing and muscles (sport) but chess and poker don't (games - although could argue 'control of emotions' I guess :lolol: ).
Would agree with this, you can be successful at a game purely if someone tells you exactly what to do, whereas in a sport there is some skill required in the 'doing'.

Always exceptions though as, by that logic, playground games such as It/Tag/whatever-you-called-it would be a sport.

Darts is definitely a sport, though.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Competition, physical exertion and skill combine to create sport. So curling yes, but darts is questionable on the physical exertion front unless you are extremely unfit.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Definition of sport is: 'an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.'

Therefore, curling, darts, snooker, etc – all sports.

Darts and Snooker don't involve physical exertion? Curling perhaps, at a push (haha get it?)

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Killing animals is sometimes called "sport" in this case the victims are then called "game". I hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Darts and Snooker don't involve physical exertion? Curling perhaps, at a push (haha get it?)

LOLz – good one :lol:

It's all relative, though. For both Darts and snooker, you're still moving multiple muscles so at least it is SOME form of exertion.

I'm less clear on Chess (mental stimulation, sure, but you're only really moving one hand) and computer football (whatever you call FIFA, etc?), because I'm pretty sure the latter is classed as a sport – as is the F1 version, although they have proper racing seats, pedals and steering wheels, don't they?

Plus in ALL those examples, you're competing against someone, which is part of the definition too :shrug:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
You only have to look at darts players to know it's not a sport. Sure, they're very talented, but it's a game, not a sport. Equivalent to chess

Nonsense and a terrible comparison. There is a physical action and hand eye coordination in playing darts. Chess with the exception of moving the piece is all in the head. I think people like to try and and declare that darts isn't a sport simply because of its association with pubs, drinking and that you don't have to be physically fit and there is no great exertion.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'd like to set the criteria as:

If there is barely any physical effort and you take it in turns it's a game.

If there is effort or you are actively against an opponent in live play, it's a sport.

Bowling, darts, snooker, chess - games.

Sorry golf. You're a game.

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Killing animals is sometimes called "sport" in this case the victims are then called "game". I hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Blimey! Now we are in danger of this thread going in another direction.I've always had a problem with hunting being declared as sport since my perception of sport has always been that opponents are equally matched and either could win. Hunter with high powered rifle against a deer doesn't seem to me like an equal level playing field.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nonsense and a terrible comparison. There is a physical action and hand eye coordination in playing darts. Chess with the exception of moving the piece is all in the head. I think people like to try and and declare that darts isn't a sport simply because of its association with pubs, drinking and that you don't have to be physically fit and there is no great exertion.

I just cooked an excellent brunch. It took concentration, a physical action and hand and eye co-ordination. Is that a sport?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Blimey! Now we are in danger of this thread going in another direction.I've always had a problem with hunting being declared as sport since my perception of sport has always been that opponents are equally matched and either could win. Hunter with high powered rifle against a deer doesn't seem to me like an equal level playing field.

I want to be clear that I am not a fan of hunting before we continue on this.

My understanding is that the "sportsmen" hunters compete with each other to see who can massacre the most animals, so in that regard the opponents are equally matched. The non-humans involved are not classed as players more just moving furry/feathery targets.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
From my experience several decades ago ‘sweeping’ in curling is knackering, whilst trying not to go arse over tit

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
For me it has to be the use of both brain and body. For that reason, darts and snooker is a sport, running is not.

autopsyturvey

Feb 24, 2018
Could you use the skills required to play it to hurt someone?

Yes: it's a sport
No: it's a game

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Alcohol has been banned from the pro game for donkeys years. I’d wager loads of PL footballers will have higher alcohol intake than professional darts players

I would very much doubt that. Just because they don't drink on stage doesn't mean dart players don't drink in the break or before games. I know someone who played a tournament that some pro's were at and he said MVG did a bottle of vodka on the practice boards before it started. I played somewhere Whitlock was, and he was downing pints for fun. In fact Whitlock won a warm up comp at a tournament my mate was at, and promptly went to the bar and bought as many jagerbombs as the prize money allowed and put them on the bar for all the other players there to get stuck in to.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
All these things can be sports if they want... however some of them are shite and some of them are fun. The ones mentioned in the OP - curling, golf, gymnastics and figure skating would all be - if the dictionaries and encyclopedia were most honest - described as "shite sports".

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What makes something a sport rather than a game? I get into this debate all the time with colleagues at work who argue that curling is not a sport but "just a game"

View attachment 143905View attachment 143906

So what makes something a sport?

Is it about winning and losing? We have "subjective" sports like gymnastics and figure skating.
Is it about intense physical activity? Then is golf really a sport?
Is it about what is shown on the world stage at the Olympics? Events selected for this seem to come and go all the time

So how would you define/explain whether or not something (such as curling) is a sport?

Curling is a sport because the participants' individual physical input matters. Chess is a game because you could tell someone else to make the moves for you and the outcome would be the same.

So darts, snooker, diving, golf etc are sports. Poker isn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here