Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Speed cameras that detect braking.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I've often wondered, re the average speed check sections on motorway roadworks, whether I could pop into a service station for a meal, then do 120 mph for the remainder of the section...still coming in slightly under the required 50 mph average....officer?

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
On the Algarve, they have sensors, that when approaching, even at a fair distance to the traffic light, they change to red, if you are travelling above the speed limit - even before you reach them, causing you and whoever is behind you to stop and wait. Whoever is at the front of the queue is the bad boi and should be ashamed of themselves. I would like to see these types of traffic calming over here.

I Germany they have the opposite, sensors that tell you the speed you need to be doing to make the light before it goes Red. Not necessarily to encourage speeding but more to reduce excessive braking.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This

The limits are too low in many places however

Also too high in others. . .

I'd much rather see an Aussie Hard approach outside schools for example . . . But on motorways and dual carriageways, in the middle of nowhere . . . 80 is the norm, so make it the limit

Isn't it likely that those who go 10mph above the speed limit now will simply continue to go 10mph over any new higher speed limit? (so 90 using your 80mph example) or do you seriously expect them to go "the new speed limit is now set at the maximum speed i'm prepared to travel at, and stick to it"?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Surely the offence is to BREAK the speed limit, ie go too fast. Or will there be a new offence of ‘excessive BRAKING to avoid detection’?

If it detects you have braked hard, i think they are implying that it can demonstrate you were going faster and only able to get down to the speed limit by braking hard (maybe by looking at how hot your brakes are?)

Not sure if it would work in court as the defendant could simply argue that they had to brake hard, down from the speed limit due to an event in front of them (such as a slower vehicle pulling out in to their lane thus explaining why it may have detected hard braking) and they simply sped back up again to the speed limit soon before the camera

If it was simply detecting hard braking in the moments before the camera, surely it would be just as easy to capture them speeding without the need to prove if they braked hard or not

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I Germany they have the opposite, sensors that tell you the speed you need to be doing to make the light before it goes Red. Not necessarily to encourage speeding but more to reduce excessive braking.

Surely in the days where we have better A.I, why aren't travel flows better managed to avoid their having to speed up and slow down due to traffic lights?

They group a load of vehicles together at a red light, then often hit the next set of lights at red after they were green when there were no cars going through as they hadn't reached them yet, and can happen several times along a stretch of road (like heading out of central Brighton)

Why not design it's management better to keep them moving so it means less stopping and starting, and therefore less pollution and less temptation by drivers to speed in order to reach the next set before they change (if you do speed, they will still be red when you get to the next set so why bother?)

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
This

The limits are too low in many places however

Also too high in others. . .

I'd much rather see an Aussie Hard approach outside schools for example . . . But on motorways and dual carriageways, in the middle of nowhere . . . 80 is the norm, so make it the limit

If you raise limit to 80mph the "norm" will become 90mph. Not a good idea

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Surely in the days where we have better A.I, why aren't travel flows better managed to avoid their having to speed up and slow down due to traffic lights?

They group a load of vehicles together at a red light, then often hit the next set of lights at red after they were green when there were no cars going through as they hadn't reached them yet, and can happen several times along a stretch of road (like heading out of central Brighton)

Why not design it's management better to keep them moving so it means less stopping and starting, and therefore less pollution and less temptation by drivers to speed in order to reach the next set before they change (if you do speed, they will still be red when you get to the next set so why bother?)

Exactly why they advise on possibility of not needing to stop at the next lights, to keep the traffic flowing.
They have had them for at least 30 years and I am sure modern ones are more dynamic.

If you want to cut pollution, fine all those people who tailback miles on approaching roadworks rather than "zippering in" at the merge point.They just block traffic needlessly.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Isn't it likely that those who go 10mph above the speed limit now will simply continue to go 10mph over any new higher speed limit? (so 90 using your 80mph example) or do you seriously expect them to go "the new speed limit is now set at the maximum speed i'm prepared to travel at, and stick to it"?

Sadly that is the most likely scenario. Although most people have an upper threshold for driving.

my days of breakneck driving are long gone, not that I ever really drove like a nutter. I do like to 'make time' whenever possible though, so dawdling ditherers have always frustrated me

25 years ago it was possible to travel and average close to 70 mph on a decent journey( I once drove home from Bavaria in 10 hrs ( 775 miles) these days you're doing well to get 60mph average. head west and 30-45 is more realistic. I can better that on a Lambretta so fast cars are a waste of time/money on the road.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I would like to see anti knob cameras, going above the speed limit is some circumstances is not nessasarly dangerous, but tailgating, driving while using a phone and behaving like a **** is.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
yes, 3D cad package for most things . .

So,undoubtedly used to design those Average Speed Cameras and the other "exotic toys" made by the group I used to work for but not the name of the company or group.

I did post a screenshot but deleted it because of the implications of the OSA.

Funny how you can surf the Internet and see companies and stuff that my signature on the OSA stops me talking about.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It never ceases to amaze me the convoluted descriptions people make up to make product sound 'nice'.

I was approached 4 times for a job in BTN, 'security' 'release systems' 'carriage mechanisms' and other oddities were mentioned

bomb dropping equipment is what they wanted to say. . .

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
It never ceases to amaze me the convoluted descriptions people make up to make product sound 'nice'.

I was approached 4 times for a job in BTN, 'security' 'release systems' 'carriage mechanisms' and other oddities were mentioned

bomb dropping equipment is what they wanted to say. . .

The Iraqi "super gun" was designed by state owned Vickers and the Lathes for the shells knocked up on Hollingbury and until we changed our minds about supplying it , it was due to be shipped as Oil Drilling equipment by with the full blessing of the Government

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Iraqi "super gun" was designed by state owned Vickers and the Lathes for the shells knocked up on Hollingbury and until we changed our minds about supplying it , it was due to be shipped as Oil Drilling equipment by with the full blessing of the Government

Not in the Fisher price car park building ? I used to work in there, years ago . .all sorts went on. :rolleyes:

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Not in the Fisher price car park building ? I used to work in there, years ago . .all sorts went on. :rolleyes:

Opposite Asda is the old CVA/KTM works,the Argus was printed there Iater i believe.It was the relics of a once massive employer, can't remember the name of what was left of it.

CVA/KTM had a massive workforce once, the warehouse stores( matalan etc) were built on the front carpark

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here