Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Speed cameras that detect braking.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A new type of speed camera is being trialled in some Spanish regions that can seemingly detect when a vehicle brakes sharply prior to it passing the device.

The introduction of the new high-tech devices is all part of a drive to cut mortality rates on the famously fast Spanish highways. The new scheme is being ushered in by the Directorate-General for Traffic, part of the Spanish Department of the Interior.

How long before they hit the UK???

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/new-speed-camera-‘detect’-vehicles-braking-they-approach

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sweden just implemented a new speed camera that clocks the plate of every car that passed through.

If you are at or under the limit, you are entered into a lottery that is paid out with the fines of speeders. Genius idea.

EDIT: Seems i've been caught out my some fake news. Ignore this. It was tried as a PR stunt 10 years ago. Still a good idea.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sweden just implemented a new speed camera that clocks the plate of every car that passed through.

If you are at or under the limit, you are entered into a lottery that is paid out with the fines of speeders. Genius idea.

Great idea :clap2:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I worked for a subsidiary company of the group that builds the average speed cameras

I think you need to expand a bit on your credentials, here, wuntbe. Was that the company that designed the chip that controls the detection, or the company that paints the thing yellow? ???

:wink:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Surely the offence is to BREAK the speed limit, ie go too fast. Or will there be a new offence of ‘excessive BRAKING to avoid detection’?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
…or just don’t speed.

That might work.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

No. We tried that ten years ago or so in some cities, as part of some PR campaign by Volkswagen (I think it was?).

Decent idea but unfortunately (?) politicians etc were not interested in continuing, for various reasons (once the novelty wears off this 'lottery' does nothing, also it rewards people for driving which really isnt what were trying to do here).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No. We tried that ten years ago or so in some cities, as part of some PR campaign by Volkswagen (I think it was?).

Decent idea but unfortunately (?) politicians etc were not interested in continuing, for various reasons (once the novelty wears off this 'lottery' does nothing, also it rewards people for driving which really isnt what were trying to do here).

Haven't they upgraded the lottery to free pizzas!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
…or just don’t speed.

That might work.

This

The limits are too low in many places however

Also too high in others. . .

I'd much rather see an Aussie Hard approach outside schools for example . . . But on motorways and dual carriageways, in the middle of nowhere . . . 80 is the norm, so make it the limit

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
Speeding

On the Algarve, they have sensors, that when approaching, even at a fair distance to the traffic light, they change to red, if you are travelling above the speed limit - even before you reach them, causing you and whoever is behind you to stop and wait. Whoever is at the front of the queue is the bad boi and should be ashamed of themselves. I would like to see these types of traffic calming over here.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A new type of speed camera is being trialled in some Spanish regions that can seemingly detect when a vehicle brakes sharply prior to it passing the device.

The introduction of the new high-tech devices is all part of a drive to cut mortality rates on the famously fast Spanish highways. The new scheme is being ushered in by the Directorate-General for Traffic, part of the Spanish Department of the Interior.

How long before they hit the UK???

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/new-speed-camera-‘detect’-vehicles-braking-they-approach

If we are talking speed they won’t be in use on the M25 then :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here