Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Speed awareness course

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Got the time wrong for mine and had to speed to get there but was still late. Fortunately they let me stay and it was very interesting. Main thing I learnt was to stay in lower gear when in a 30 mph limit as it makes it harder to actually speed
Soo many people don't seem to get that if you're in a lower gear, you'll naturally go slower. 20mph zones are being introduced all across Wales, so many Facebook etc messages bemoaning it, telling us how it's actually quite hard and distracting to drive at 20 - Nope, not if you're in the right gear it isn't....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Parking Awareness?

"can't you see the sign
It's a double yellow line"

This is glorious

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't have as many letters after my name as Evelyn but I'm thinking that is totally staged.
Yeah I know, but even as a skit it still made me laugh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
What is this slow lane that is referenced in the headline, someone needs to re-read the Highway Code, which states that you keep to the left lane unless overtaking.
Or undertaking middle lane drivers whilst shaking your head disapprovingly as you pass.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do love his 'beat the sat nav' comment.

We are absolute weapons, aren't we?

Don't have it myself, but whenever Jnrs in the passenger seat, time does get a little all consuming.

Jul 7, 2003
I did one of these courses a few weeks ago - some of the people who were there were hilarious.

An elderly gentleman was shown a picture of a motorway with lighting and argued that the speed limit was 30mph because of the lights. When he was corrected he said "I never knew that - I've always slowed to 30mph on motorways with lights".

Second guy tried to argue about stopping distances being too short. When challenged he said he had a vintage car and the brakes would never stop him in the official distances.

Last one was a bloke who when asked what he would change to stop him speeding, he said he would switch to get a proper taxi licence so he could use the bus lanes and wouldn't be as late!

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I have just been handed a ‘Motorway Awareness’ course as a result of doing 70 in a variable speed limit (60) on the M1. apparently a notorious camera that catches over 4K drivers a year.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just got done on the A27, and have been offered a course. Went to book and the option of doing it virtually from home is there. Anyone done that, is it better or worse than being there in person?

Jul 7, 2003
I did it in person as it wasn’t too far to travel and I spend enough time working on remote calls without having a three hour one in my own time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just got done on the A27, and have been offered a course. Went to book and the option of doing it virtually from home is there. Anyone done that, is it better or worse than being there in person?
Did it at home and it was painless. Long wait to get a slot though.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’m amazed they’ve not installed cameras up at the A27 coming towards lancing/out of lancing where they are building the new roundabout, 99% of people speed through there, I normally go through at about 45/50 and get left for dust by most, coming into lancing early morning I see countless people doing 70 in the 40 zone, wonder if they realise the seriousness of going that far over the speed limit?

Isn’t 70 in a 40 a 6 pointer or worse? Can’t remember.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’m amazed they’ve not installed cameras up at the A27 coming towards lancing/out of lancing where they are building the new roundabout, 99% of people speed through there, I normally go through at about 45/50 and get left for dust by most, coming into lancing early morning I see countless people doing 70 in the 40 zone, wonder if they realise the seriousness of going that far over the speed limit?

Isn’t 70 in a 40 a 6 pointer or worse? Can’t remember.
Well its been the same for years so I’m not surprised …..maybe the new roundabout will slow the traffic down when the new development has been built out

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I did a course from home last week - the time went quickly , lots of videos , quizzes and discussion- I learn a lot about stopping distances . Much preferable then to do it in person

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did one of these courses a few weeks ago - some of the people who were there were hilarious.

An elderly gentleman was shown a picture of a motorway with lighting and argued that the speed limit was 30mph because of the lights. When he was corrected he said "I never knew that - I've always slowed to 30mph on motorways with lights".

Second guy tried to argue about stopping distances being too short. When challenged he said he had a vintage car and the brakes would never stop him in the official distances.

Last one was a bloke who when asked what he would change to stop him speeding, he said he would switch to get a proper taxi licence so he could use the bus lanes and wouldn't be as late!
I did the online course at home during Lockdown 1.

There was an arrogant (possibly 70 year old?) bloke who’d got caught speeding on an early morning airport run to Gatwick, he may’ve been doing 85mph.

His argument was that the M27 was quiet at that time and that collecting his daughter (her safety) came first. That old overriding chestnut.

He made it abundantly clear that the offence and resulting attendance was an injustice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here