Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Speed awareness course

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It absolutely shouldn't need says, and yet here we are:-

What that clearly shows is a buckled wheel, a potential dent in a plastic bumper and more embarrassment than you can shake a stick at.

Keep everything exactly the same but switch it and what do you have?

At best a wrecked bike.
Potential broken bones, hopefully nothing worse but that's not guaranteed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It absolutely shouldn't need says, and yet here we are:-

What that clearly shows is a buckled wheel, a potential dent in a plastic bumper and more embarrassment than you can shake a stick at.

Keep everything exactly the same but switch it and what do you have?

At best a wrecked bike.
Potential broken bones, hopefully nothing worse but that's not guaranteed.
Is that the best you can do. A dumb cyclist hits a parked car and because he only has a buckled wheel your argument is what if it had been the other way. It wasn't. The video was posted to refute the dumb suggesting of Bold Seagull that all incidents between motorists and cars are wholly the responsibility of the driver of the motorized vehicle. Quite patently untrue.

Perhaps if you and Bold had the dignity to accept that there are a minority of cyclists that are dickheads just as there is a majority of motorists on here will accept there are drivers that are dickheads, we might make some progress. We can but dream.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is that the best you can do. A dumb cyclist hits a parked car and because he only has a buckled wheel your argument is what if it had been the other way. It wasn't. The video was posted to refute the dumb suggesting of Bold Seagull that all incidents between motorists and cars are wholly the responsibility of the driver of the motorized vehicle. Quite patently untrue.

Perhaps if you and Bold had the dignity to accept that there are a minority of cyclists that are dickheads just as there is a majority of motorists on here will accept there are drivers that are dickheads, we might make some progress. We can but dream.
Don’t argue with cyclists, the most aggressive, intolerant people on the roads. Lycra clad twats :smile:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I did learn at my speed awareness course that flashing yellow lights on motorways showing a reduced speed limit is only advisory.

Before I did the speed awareness course, I would have slowed down for such signs.
This reminds me - why is it acceptable to have such a low pass mark on the theory test? I often think it should be a hundred percent, or at least there should be some questions which you have to get right. I mean, you could get five questions about signs wrong, including a cliff, a speed limit, a no-entry and a one way sign, and still pass.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Got the time wrong for mine and had to speed to get there but was still late. Fortunately they let me stay and it was very interesting. Main thing I learnt was to stay in lower gear when in a 30 mph limit as it makes it harder to actually speed
Which a) uses more fuel and b) increases the amount of air pollution, contributing to lung disease, cancer, birth defects, dementia, etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just watched BBC’s Surgeons: At The Edge Of Life.

Worth a watch, they’re geniuses.

A single mum, body half destroyed in a car crash, faces a long journey to see if she’ll ever walk again.

They didn’t go into details, but another lesson to anyone about driving carefully and a bit slower. It can’t do any harm.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which a) uses more fuel and b) increases the amount of air pollution, contributing to lung disease, cancer, birth defects, dementia, etc.
The point is that driving 25 to 30 in third is safer for all, whereas following the old school driving lessons advice of always working your way up to fourth, in a modern car will mean speeding in urban driving to generate enough revs.

Regarding the side issue of exhaust emissions, they may be similar.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The point is that driving 25 to 30 in third is safer for all, whereas following the old school driving lessons advice of always working your way up to fourth, in a modern car will mean speeding in urban driving to generate enough revs.

Regarding the side issue of exhaust emissions, they may be similar.
Not sure I was ever taught that and certainly not what I teach. Drive at the appropriate speed for the conditions up to but not over the limit and use the appropriate gear for the speed you are doing and that would depend on the gearing. My Yaris is quite comfortable in fourth at 30 but a previous Fiesta would have to be in third.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure I was ever taught that and certainly not what I teach. Drive at the appropriate speed for the conditions up to but not over the limit and use the appropriate gear for the speed you are doing and that would depend on the gearing. My Yaris is quite comfortable in fourth at 30 but a previous Fiesta would have to be in third.
You’re a young un.

I was taught in 1982. When, work your way methodically through the (just at that time) 4 gears.

A 1982 car without fuel injection, twin cam or turbos needed to get to 4th gear in towns.

Speed Awareness course lecturers chat about that.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
This reminds me - why is it acceptable to have such a low pass mark on the theory test? I often think it should be a hundred percent, or at least there should be some questions which you have to get right. I mean, you could get five questions about signs wrong, including a cliff, a speed limit, a no-entry and a one way sign, and still pass.

I never did a theory test. Passed a few years before it came out.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You’re a young un.

I was taught in 1982. When, work your way methodically through the (just at that time) 4 gears.

A 1982 car without fuel injection, twin cam or turbos needed to get to 4th gear in towns.

Speed Awareness course lecturers chat about that.
Bad luck, past my test in 1980.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't feel the on going 'death on the roads' thread is quite the place for this, so apologies for shoe horning this here, somewhere else that it's not quite the place either!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't feel the on going 'death on the roads' thread is quite the place for this, so apologies for shoe horning this here, somewhere else that it's not quite the place either!

I get that the idea is a criticism of the leniency of sentences for death caused by drivers not driving carefully/properly/legally, but it sounds more like he's outraged that someone has been jailed for 15 years for breaking into Cavendish's home and threatening them with a deadly weapon and making off with £100ks of their property, as if it's too long. "Bit harsh. He wouldn't even get jail time if he murdered him, why's he get 15 years when all he did was threaten the guy?"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I get that the idea is a criticism of the leniency of sentences for death caused by drivers not driving carefully/properly/legally, but it sounds more like he's outraged that someone has been jailed for 15 years for breaking into Cavendish's home and threatening them with a deadly weapon and making off with £100ks of their property, as if it's too long. "Bit harsh. He wouldn't even get jail time if he murdered him, why's he get 15 years when all he did was threaten the guy?"
Yes highly respected cycling journo CR is indeed bemoaning the leniency of 'death by .. driving' sentences, not the severity of knifey knifey horseplay, jail time.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Private Eye reports that Cllr Fred Roberts of Wrexham council has won a taxi licence despite being convicted of causing death by dangerous driving in the 90s and being jailed for 3 years for importing cigarettes. Normally he wouldn't win one but he's on the licensing committee!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and FYI Carlton Reid is probably one of the worst people to follow on Twitter.

He spends most of the year reporting around Europe on 'no fly' jaunts, via trains, ferries and bikes (the bloke seems to have no concept of clouds).
When home they do the first training for Guide Dogs so it's wall to wall video of Labrador puppies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here