Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southgate’s Palace mates

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Regarding the dates, you've got a very good point. I still think its valid to say that the "system" guys get priority in situations like this though. As Webster hasn't - to my knowledge anyway - been in the U21's or the like, he will find it harder to force his way in - They is no way in a month of Sundays I'd prefer Mings in the Albion team to Webster for example. Lamptey is our best shout as he does fit the bill. If he was a LB he'd probably be in this squad even if he has looked slightly off it in recent weeks.

I thought Mings looked excellent against us at the Amex. Looked like he could have had a cigar on the go. Certainly on his performances since Gerrard arrived he's well ahead of any of our CBs if I was being really cold hard objective about it. Same with Coady this season, rock solid.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed on Coady - never understood why he gets slagged off. Certainly seemed to be popular and fit in with the squad rather than say, Dunk.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I thought Mings looked excellent against us at the Amex. Looked like he could have had a cigar on the go. Certainly on his performances since Gerrard arrived he's well ahead of any of our CBs if I was being really cold hard objective about it. Same with Coady this season, rock solid.

I don't think looking excellent against us at the moment is a decent yardstick. Drop Colin Hawkins in a PL team against our forwards at the minute and he will look like Paulo Maldini

Flipancy aside, Granted, Mings has improved under Gerrard. I remember watching him against Arsenal back in October time and he was terrorised by their forwards and lucky to stay on. He doesn't look a natural in an England shirt and most Villa fans I know prefer Konsa (who has gone a bit backwards seemingly). The lack of left footed options certainly advances his cause. Point being, I think he is lucky to have been an England reguiar given some of the club and country performances he has turned in whereas others don't seem to have such loyalty from Southgate.

I've always like Coady. I consider him like a Waitrose version of Duffy.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Albion have two players in the u21s, Webster is close to the squad but has had a torrid 12 months of on/off injuries. They also have a raft of u21 and u18 internationals on duty this weekend for example but surprisingly none , Lamptey and Rushworth aside , for England.

This is a thread about Southgate's selections - not the party line about how wonderful the Albion are in every department

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think looking excellent against us at the moment is a decent yardstick. Drop Colin Hawkins in a PL team against our forwards at the minute and he will look like Paulo Maldini

I've always like Coady. I consider him like a Waitrose version of Duffy.

:lolol::lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This is a thread about Southgate's selections - not the party line about how wonderful the Albion are in every department

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Oh blimey. If in a discussion about the current England set up, and Southgate's selection of Albion and Palace players - its somehow not ok to talk about potential England players in our development set up - really ? Not sure it does say how wonderful Albion are anyway but so what if it does ? Anyway we've just lost one of our biggest England development prospects to Man United FWIW .

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Oh blimey. If in a discussion about the current England set up, and Southgate's selection of Albion and Palace players - its somehow not ok to talk about potential England players in our development set up - really ? Not sure it does say how wonderful Albion are anyway but so what if it does ? Anyway we've just lost one of our biggest England development prospects to Man United FWIW .

That is definitely the next step for our academy is to be producing players in England youth age group squads. It's a real shame to lose Toby Collyer, but Rushworth looks an excellent prospect and I've no doubt that in another 10 years we'll have a good number of young players regularly getting into squads.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Bring back Allardyce! He knows what he’s doing, he’s got a 100% record as coach, the man’s a genius. :cheers:

Bit of an odd response. Just because I think England should replace Southgate doesn't mean I want someone like that old dinosaur. GS is hardly an innovative, tactical genius is he? And his team and squad selections have at times been bizarre - for example, picking Mings when he couldn't even get in to the Villa team at the time due to his bad form. And now these very average Palace players. Also, choosing a young player who'd never taken a penalty in a competitive game before to take the decisive fifth one in the semi-final of a major tournament..

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Bit of an odd response. Just because I think England should replace Southgate doesn't mean I want someone like that old dinosaur. GS is hardly an innovative, tactical genius is he? And his team and squad selections have at times been bizarre - for example, picking Mings when he couldn't even get in to the Villa team at the time due to his bad form. And now these very average Palace players. Also, choosing a young player who'd never taken a penalty in a competitive game before to take the decisive fifth one in the semi-final of a major tournament..

Have you another English manager you would prefer?.

Have you other players you would like picked ?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I don’t think that’s bad for one of the smaller London clubs, where Chelsea hover up all the talent with starting Salary of 20K for 16 year olds.

A friend of a friend's son was at Chelsea academy and was taking home £7k a month at 16. Was weird for the parents as he still lived at home and was basically a kid still but earned double the parents did combined.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
A friend of a friend's son was at Chelsea academy and was taking home £7k a month at 16. Was weird for the parents as he still lived at home and was basically a kid still but earned double the parents did combined.

I read a interesting article in the Athletic last week that was basically saying that all the other London teams will benefit from the demise of the Chelsea spending on academy players, and in a way the fact that these 16 year olds being paid vast amounts will have to take less money but will have more chance to play first team football at maybe a lesser standard.

Lampaty and Guehi should both be congratulated for choosing to leave the glamour and potential money at Chelsea to peruse first team football at less glamorous teams…and let’s hope both are rewarded with England caps, it may make others follow?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I read a interesting article in the Athletic last week that was basically saying that all the other London teams will benefit from the demise of the Chelsea spending on academy players, and in a way the fact that these 16 year olds being paid vast amounts will have to take less money but will have more chance to play first team football at maybe a lesser standard.

Lampaty and Guehi should both be congratulated for choosing to leave the glamour and potential money at Chelsea to peruse first team football at less glamorous teams…and let’s hope both are rewarded with England caps, it may make others follow?
You must be pleased with the call ups for your teams players. It’ll certainly add a couple of bob to their valuation when they decide to leave.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Not sure if this is a joke but you do realise, based on tournament placings he is our second most successful manager behind Ramsey.

I'd argue that both were missed opportunities, especially the World Cup. We'll never have an easier path to a final yet his lack of tactical flexibility and awareness cost us in the semi (as in the Euro final against Italy).

He handles all the media and interpersonal stuff well, but we need a better head coach. Maybe he should be general manager and someone else should run the team. Gerrard in a few years perhaps.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd argue that both were missed opportunities, especially the World Cup. We'll never have an easier path to a final yet his lack of tactical flexibility and awareness cost us in the semi (as in the Euro final against Italy).

But he has enabled us to get to major tournament Semis and Finals - something none of his predecessors could do.

I'd also argue that Sven and maybe Capello had individually better players than Southgate has

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Basically Chelsea and Arsenal academies seem to the big lure for the talented youngsters in London. The lad I referred to is from Sidcup, so could have been at Charlton, Millwall or with Palace, and was scouted by Chelsea while at school still. Smith-Rowe at Arsenal is from Thornton Heath so not far from your lot but was at Arsenal academy from a young age. Have these clubs got more extensive scouting networks or is their big name status the lure?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Not so sure about that, I read an article in the Paper that one squad this season Palace fielded 6 players born within 7 miles of south Norwood with two more on the bench. although not all come through the academy admittedly.v

Off the top of my head:

Zaha
Eze
Gueh
Mitchell
Clyne
Callagher
Raki-Sakai

I don’t think that’s bad for one of the smaller London clubs, where Chelsea hover up all the talent with starting Salary of 20K for 16 year olds.

I'm going to have to admit ignorance of Raki-Sakai, I've never heard of him.

The point I was making though is that there is a huge number of players from south London who you could have had but didn't. Even the one's you've listed have mostly been bought in rather than come through the academy.

The larger point I was making, although I didn't actually say it in so many words, was thank god you haven't been able to get your hands on the players because there's so much talent coming from south of the river that you could have had an outstanding team for very little outlay.

Long may Palace's inability to get the best young players of their region continue.:albion2:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
peruse first team football

I like this malapropism. Of course Lamptey and Guehi were pursuing first team football. Easy mistake to make, but the error is quite an apt description of what so many young English players have been doing for years at Chelsea.

'Are you playing any first team football at Stamford Bridge Ros/Tammy/Ruben/Fikayo/Patrick?'

'No, but I've perused loads of it.'

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm going to have to admit ignorance of Raki-Sakai, I've never heard of him.

The point I was making though is that there is a huge number of players from south London who you could have had but didn't. Even the one's you've listed have mostly been bought in rather than come through the academy.

The larger point I was making, although I didn't actually say it in so many words, was thank god you haven't been able to get your hands on the players because there's so much talent coming from south of the river that you could have had an outstanding team for very little outlay.

Long may Palace's inability to get the best young players of their region continue.:albion2:

Hopefully that will change now palace have academy 1 status, and both our u18s and U23s are doing very well this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here