Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southgate’s Palace mates

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I agree with the OP,.Southgate clearly favouring his old club. Are these players really better than what other clubs have to offer? I'm really tired of him now - he should've gone after the Euros. Time to freshen things up.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The Guehi call-up is a joke. He let it bounce, after all. And Richarlison was taking him to the cleaners on Sunday. He scores with a free header against a Sunday League defence and suddenly he's Bobby Moore ...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I’m not a massive fan of Southgate but I don’t see any issues with his picks nor any anti Albion agenda. Webster would be in the squad if he was fit and our only other contender, Lamptey, is currently way off IMHO.

He’s in the u21 squad - which by definition isn’t way off.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't think Southgate is overly palace biased, after all he didn't pick Wan Bissaka. I think the Guehi and Mitchell call ups are about getting them capped so they're available in the future. Gallagher fully deserves his call up.

I do think there is an over justified hype around palace's youth system though. I'm not sure why when you consider how many players are from South London and very few of them are produced by palace. Just imagine if Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Joe Gomez, Smith-Rowe, Tammy Abraham, Loftus-Cheek etc had actually been palace. What a team they would have had. Luckily palace's inept ability to spot/recruit a young player from their doorstep is another reason to laugh at them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If Webster hadn't got injured, Southgate had watched him enough times that i think he'd have made it. Perhaps our season wouldn't have gone to shit either.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Agreed. And let's not forget Southgate picked White for a major tournament squad when he was our player and there were arguably better options available to him.

None of our other England qualified players are hard done by. Lamptey rightly in U21 and Dunk gone backwards, Lallana and Welbeck yesterday's men.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I don't think Southgate is overly palace biased, after all he didn't pick Wan Bissaka. I think the Guehi and Mitchell call ups are about getting them capped so they're available in the future. Gallagher fully deserves his call up.

I do think there is an over justified hype around palace's youth system though. I'm not sure why when you consider how many players are from South London and very few of them are produced by palace. Just imagine if Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Joe Gomez, Smith-Rowe, Tammy Abraham, Loftus-Cheek etc had actually been palace. What a team they would have had. Luckily palace's inept ability to spot/recruit a young player from their doorstep is another reason to laugh at them.

Not so sure about that, I read an article in the Paper that one squad this season Palace fielded 6 players born within 7 miles of south Norwood with two more on the bench. although not all come through the academy admittedly.v

Off the top of my head:

Zaha
Eze
Gueh
Mitchell
Clyne
Callagher
Raki-Sakai

I don’t think that’s bad for one of the smaller London clubs, where Chelsea hover up all the talent with starting Salary of 20K for 16 year olds.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not so sure about that, I read an article in the Paper that one squad this season Palace fielded 6 players born within 7 miles of south Norwood with two more on the bench. although not all come through the academy admittedly.v

Off the top of my head:

Zaha
Eze
Gueh
Mitchell
Clyne
Callagher
Raki-Sakai

I don’t think that’s bad for one of the smaller London clubs, where Chelsea hover up all the talent with starting Salary of 20K for 16 year olds.

Hopefully Chelskis days of buying everyone are now disappearing like the cheat ex owner

el punal

First Gallagher, then Guehi, now Mitchell. Palace obviously flying a point above us in mid table thoroughly deserves a quarter of the team being called into England squad. So biased towards his old mates. Don’t think I can watch England anymore if they play!

Come off it! Do you honestly think because of his Palace/Villa connections that he’s that biased? Of course, to many observers, he selects players that are woeful - Maguire, for example. Whether you like Southgate or not you have to admit he’s done a reasonable job as coach - World Cup semis and Euro finalists on his CV. Compared with previous incumbents as National coach I would say he’s a glowing success.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Come off it! Do you honestly think because of his Palace/Villa connections that he’s that biased? Of course, to many observers, he selects players that are woeful - Maguire, for example. Whether you like Southgate or not you have to admit he’s done a reasonable job as coach - World Cup semis and Euro finalists on his CV. Compared with previous incumbents as National coach I would say he’s a glowing success.

One should never let facts get in the way of raging confirmation bias. ??? :wink:

el punal

I agree with the OP,.Southgate clearly favouring his old club. Are these players really better than what other clubs have to offer? I'm really tired of him now - he should've gone after the Euros. Time to freshen things up.

Bring back Allardyce! He knows what he’s doing, he’s got a 100% record as coach, the man’s a genius. :cheers:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The Guehi call-up is a joke. He let it bounce, after all. And Richarlison was taking him to the cleaners on Sunday. He scores with a free header against a Sunday League defence and suddenly he's Bobby Moore ...

The conventional wisdom regarding Guehi is that if we play him, he becomes English. All well and good but Zaha played for England many years back in a friendly before deciding he was from the Ivory Coast after all. Unless the rules have changed, Guehi can play this weekend but it makes no difference unless it is a competitive game. I suppose on that basis he is another CB that fits the system profile.

That said, it's a hard case to argue that anyone in the Brighton squad deserves a call up albeit Dunk and Webster have been superb earlier in the season but made no impression. Again, those boys weren't from the system.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Off the top of my head:

Zaha
Eze
Gueh
Mitchell
Clyne
Callagher
Raki-Sakai

Eze, Guehi, and Gallagher were hoovered up of course with tens of millions in wages and loan fees to Chelsea and Millwall. Rakyi Saki also through the Chelsea development teams.
Zaha and Clyne came through the palace academy over 10 years ago. Mitchell has been a brilliant spot.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The conventional wisdom regarding Guehi is that if we play him, he becomes English. All well and good but Zaha played for England many years back in a friendly before deciding he was from the Ivory Coast after all. Unless the rules have changed, Guehi can play this weekend but it makes no difference unless it is a competitive game. I suppose on that basis he is another CB that fits the system profile.

That said, it's a hard case to argue that anyone in the Brighton squad deserves a call up albeit Dunk and Webster have been superb earlier in the season but made no impression. Again, those boys weren't from the system.

Webster had that injury where he missed at least a month mid Sept - Mid Oct that effectively put him out of the October and November internationals contention. Even for those last WC qualifiers before the Euros in March 2021 he got injured through most of Feb. I don't think it's got anything to do with the system, Webster just needs to stay fit and maintain a form for a decent period of time.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
IMO those Palace and Villa players in the squad deserve to be in the squad on merit. I can't see any bias by Southgate there in the slightest.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Albion have two players in the u21s, Webster is close to the squad but has had a torrid 12 months of on/off injuries. They also have a raft of u21 and u18 internationals on duty this weekend for example but surprisingly none , Lamptey and Rushworth aside , for England.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Webster had that injury where he missed at least a month mid Sept - Mid Oct that effectively put him out of the October and November internationals contention. Even for those last WC qualifiers before the Euros in March 2021 he got injured through most of Feb. I don't think it's got anything to do with the system, Webster just needs to stay fit and maintain a form for a decent period of time.

Regarding the dates, you've got a very good point. I still think its valid to say that the "system" guys get priority in situations like this though. As Webster hasn't - to my knowledge anyway - been in the U21's or the like, he will find it harder to force his way in - They is no way in a month of Sundays I'd prefer Mings in the Albion team to Webster for example. Lamptey is our best shout as he does fit the bill. If he was a LB he'd probably be in this squad even if he has looked slightly off it in recent weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here