Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southgate’s Palace mates

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'd argue that both were missed opportunities, especially the World Cup. We'll never have an easier path to a final yet his lack of tactical flexibility and awareness cost us in the semi (as in the Euro final against Italy).

He handles all the media and interpersonal stuff well, but we need a better head coach. Maybe he should be general manager and someone else should run the team. Gerrard in a few years perhaps.

I completely agree. The World Cup run was unbelievably fortunate but we lost the games against good opposition. The Euros were much the same - with the added benefit of beating Germany. He manages the media stuff well and certainly he's the most likeable England manager since Hoddle, but on the pitch there are definitely shortcomings.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Hopefully that will change now palace have academy 1 status, and both our u18s and U23s are doing very well this season.

Got to say I’ve been to the new Palace academy training grounds a couple of times this season and they really are nice. They’ve done good work there. Glad to report the team I’ve been there with beat Palace academy team both times so good all round!

el punal

Bit of an odd response. Just because I think England should replace Southgate doesn't mean I want someone like that old dinosaur. GS is hardly an innovative, tactical genius is he? And his team and squad selections have at times been bizarre - for example, picking Mings when he couldn't even get in to the Villa team at the time due to his bad form. And now these very average Palace players. Also, choosing a young player who'd never taken a penalty in a competitive game before to take the decisive fifth one in the semi-final of a major tournament..

Tongue - in - cheek. :rolleyes:

Not so sure about that, I read an article in the Paper that one squad this season Palace fielded 6 players born within 7 miles of south Norwood with two more on the bench. although not all come through the academy admittedly.v

Off the top of my head:

Zaha
Eze
Gueh
Mitchell
Clyne
Callagher
Raki-Sakai

I don’t think that’s bad for one of the smaller London clubs, where Chelsea hover up all the talent with starting Salary of 20K for 16 year olds.

Mitchell is definitely a north Londoner, not far away from where I was brought up, a QPR Brentford miss

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Find it odd the Palace fans giving it ‘large’ over 3 (2 actually) players at an England camp for 2 friendlies.

Last summer we had a youth player in the squad for an actual major tournament. Can’t see any Palace player going to the World Cup for England unless we have quite a few injuries [emoji2375] bants I guess

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He’s awful and with a better squad, looses to every decent team (Germany were in a dreadful slump before anyone says).

The chelsea picks palarse have picked up if chosen as young players who might become England ones I can see it along with taking some older first teamers who shouldn’t start on form (especially if taking youngsters). The picks I struggle with are taking ageing 20th choice cbs like Mings or the fact out of 50 potential young players who might become good enough he just picks the ones from his old club.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
He’s awful and with a better squad, looses to every decent team (Germany were in a dreadful slump before anyone says).

The chelsea picks palarse have picked up if chosen as young players who might become England ones I can see it along with taking some older first teamers who shouldn’t start on form (especially if taking youngsters). The picks I struggle with are taking ageing 20th choice cbs like Mings or the fact out of 50 potential young players who might become good enough he just picks the ones from his old club.

And you reckon my grammars bad :ffsparr:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Viera has got them playing well, getting decent results. (1 point above us :ffsparr: :D)

So of course their half wit fans are coming out of the woodwork to give it the large.

Been quiet for a while,

Which was nice.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Nothing overly wrong with those 3 players in the Squad, Gallacher has been one of the best players in the league this season and the other two have just been moved up from the u21s which is what we want to happen as it shows planning.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Find it odd the Palace fans giving it ‘large’ over 3 (2 actually) players at an England camp for 2 friendlies.

Last summer we had a youth player in the squad for an actual major tournament. Can’t see any Palace player going to the World Cup for England unless we have quite a few injuries [emoji2375] bants I guess

We also had a youth player in the Spain squad.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Viera has got them playing well, getting decent results. (1 point above us :ffsparr: :D)

So of course their half wit fans are coming out of the woodwork to give it the large.

Been quiet for a while,

Which was nice.
Yeah well the mods won't do anything about them for some reason and our own halfwits keep giving them opportunities to post on threads such as this.
Ignore is your friend and only option as far as dumb and dumber are concerned.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Last summer we had a youth player in the squad for an actual major tournament.

Are you sure?

490AB3B1-6657-491D-A6B5-F428669AD493.jpeg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I'd argue that both were missed opportunities, especially the World Cup. We'll never have an easier path to a final yet his lack of tactical flexibility and awareness cost us in the semi (as in the Euro final against Italy).

He handles all the media and interpersonal stuff well, but we need a better head coach. Maybe he should be general manager and someone else should run the team. Gerrard in a few years perhaps.

Whatever your analysis he is still the second most successful manager we have ever had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here