Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southgate Stays

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Not a surprise, not like he’d walk into a job of a similar calibre and it’s clear the players love him
The 22 or so players he consistently picks regardless of form. A bit of a downer for every other player that qualifies to play for England. Another 2.5 years of not expecting the phone to ring.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The 22 or so players he consistently picks regardless of form. A bit of a downer for every other player that qualifies to play for England. Another 2.5 years of not expecting the phone to ring.
Toney (until he f***ed it up) , Bellingham , Wilson, White , Pope, etc… all relatively recent introductions to England squad who went to Qatar

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stats look good but when you delve a little deeper, Justice is right about straightforward groups and the fact he can't beat top teams. It's a bit like praising Hughton because he took us to a cup semi final then you remember that we beat Bournemouth reserves, West Brom, Derby and got very lucky against Millwall!!!
We knocked Germany out of the Euros, and Italy couldn’t beat us in normal time.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I don’t get it, both Southgate and Kane get an easy ride from the press (if Beckham or Rooney had missed the pen like Kane they would have been slated by the tabloids).
Maybe they have finally realised that there is nothing to be gained from this other than making the team feel crap, making them not want to play for England and adding extra pressure to them when they do play. I'd rather them go knowing they have the backing of most of the country. It's not like Kane chose to miss that pen so what's to be gained by slating them for weeks after?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We knocked Germany out of the Euros, and Italy couldn’t beat us in normal time.
And convincingly beat Senegal the current Africa Cup of Nations holder. Also knocked out Denmark in the Euros who were well rated

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Based on evidence so far, Stevie G has very little tactical nous and has relied on Mick Beale in the past - just ask the Villa fans. Appointing him would be a massive backward step in my opinion
I suspect Beale was more involved with the actual day-to-day club coaching as required for club management, Gerrard more the motivator - and as day-to-day stuff isn't required of an international manager, it's probably more Stevie G's style. And frankly, I wouldn't give much credence to what Villa fans might say anyway!
Anyway, that's my feeling, and I was absolutely right to suggest some would not agree with me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here